Grand Pa Peter Alerts is back! WFL Kickboxing

Happy for him that he's doing what he loves, but a part of me feels that he's only accumulating more brain damage at this point and it's only going to make things worse for his future...

I think Aerts wants to litterally die in the ring at this point. Seems like the proper way to go out.

Hasn't he had like 3 of those already?
AFAIK the thing with the Spong fight was that It's Showtime wanted him to retire and marketed it as his farewell fight without his consent. He was pretty upset about it.

AFAIK the thing with the Spong fight was that It's Showtime wanted him to retire and marketed it as his farewell fight without his consent. He was pretty upset about it.

Good thing that a promotion never forced him into a "retirement fight" for marketing reasons ever again.

thumb_10651_news_promo.png

Oh Tanikawa.

Considering how many video interviews he's done about that fight and him retiring, he seemed quite consensual about it and not really that upset.

I feel like kickboxing is the only combat sport where fans are actually happy about ancient past it legends continueing on for money and pride and lose and get knocked out by guys not nearly as great and accumulating brain damage.

This isn't a thing to be happy about.

Just like Bonjasky doing a Joe Frazier and fighting with basically one eye.

Things like that aren't anything be happy about. In Aerts' case the losing to guys not nearly as great aspect even the worse thing it's that he has had one of the longest and most brutal careers in the history of combaat sports and i can't think of any fighter who has been not only stopped but properly knocked out as often as he has.
The damage he has taken is insane. He got flattened in the 90s more than ocne when he was actually in his prime. Since then he has taken even more damage and I really really hope he has hit the genetic lottery because fighters who have taken far less damage have ended up bad health wise

Greatest high kick KO artist in all of combat sports.

LEGEND.

Tough as fucking nails.

He will be sorely missed.

There are so few fighters left from the Golden Era.

It's sad to see what K1 has become.
K-1 has actually been pretty awesome lately with the lighter guys. If you are referring to HW Kickboxing in general ya it sucks now.

I feel like kickboxing is the only combat sport where fans are actually happy about ancient past it legends continueing on for money and pride and lose and get knocked out by guys not nearly as great and accumulating brain damage.

This isn't a thing to be happy about.

Just like Bonjasky doing a Joe Frazier and fighting with basically one eye.

Things like that aren't anything be happy about. In Aerts' case the losing to guys not nearly as great aspect even the worse thing it's that he has had one of the longest and most brutal careers in the history of combaat sports and i can't think of any fighter who has been not only stopped but properly knocked out as often as he has.
The damage he has taken is insane. He got flattened in the 90s more than ocne when he was actually in his prime. Since then he has taken even more damage and I really really hope he has hit the genetic lottery because fighters who have taken far less damage have ended up bad health wise
Its certainly not thrilling, but men choose their own fate. If this is Aerts' decision I will respect that and watch him fight.

Back