News Gradus Kraus, son of Albert Kraus, defeats two-time Olympic gold medalist on route to 2024 Olympics

Does Gradus Kraus have what it takes to surpass his father Albert Kraus?

• Total voters

BoxerMaurits

The Dutchman
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I’ve published this article for MainEventNL about two weeks ago but forgot to post it on Sherdog, so here we go (translated):

upload_2023-10-12_2-48-38.png

Dutch boxing prospect Gradus Kraus defeats two-time Olympic gold medalist

Gradus Kraus, 22-years-old, achieved the biggest victory of his young career last Saturday.

“The Hurricane” took on Cuba's Arlen López Cardona at IBA Champions' Night in Monaco, where he won a unanimous decision over 5 rounds of boxing.
An extremely impressive performance by Gradus Kraus. His opponent, Arlen López Cardona, is a decorated boxer who has built an impressive resume during his career by achieving several successes.

The highly accomplished Cuban boxer won a gold medal at the 2016 (Rio de Janeiro) and 2020 (Tokyo) Olympic Games. He also won gold at the 2015 World Championships.
With 157 wins in 184 amateur bouts, López is considered the best light-heavyweight (175lbs/79kg) boxer from Cuba, a country known for its rich boxing history.

However, professional boxing was illegal over there until recently. Fortunately, professional boxing has been allowed again in Cuba since April 2022, which means that many top boxers such as Arlen López finally had the opportunity to also fight professionally.
López has since amassed a professional boxing record of 2–0, with both victories coming via first-round knockouts.

Back to Gradus Kraus:
His last name will sound familiar to many martial arts fans. He’s the only son of the very first K-1 MAX champion, Albert Kraus.

Gradus started his fight-career in kickboxing, just like his father. Having won several championships as a youth fighter, Gradus was seen as a great kickboxing talent, though a few years ago he set his sights on traditional boxing.

Gradus Kraus has been doing very well since his switch to boxing. He currently fights for Team NL and his goal is to participate in the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris.

The next step is a career in professional boxing.
Having beaten Arlen López will certainly help Gradus to make a name for himself in the world of boxing, as will Gradus Kraus' relationship with top coach Peter Fury (father of Hughie and uncle of Tyson Fury) with whom the young Dutchman trains very regularly. Just like Gradus’ father Albert Kraus did/does, because of his close relationship with Dennis Krauweel, (headcoach of Rico Verhoeven) who has always worked together with Fury’s camp a lot.

upload_2023-10-12_2-36-1.jpeg

upload_2023-10-12_2-37-35.jpeg
upload_2023-10-12_2-38-2.jpeg

upload_2023-10-12_2-35-20.jpeg

I’ve published this article for MainEventNL about two weeks ago but forgot to post it on Sherdog, so here we go (translated):

View attachment 1005949

Dutch boxing prospect Gradus Kraus defeats two-time Olympic gold medalist

Gradus Kraus, 22-years-old, achieved the biggest victory of his young career last Saturday.

“The Hurricane” took on Cuba's Arlen López Cardona at IBA Champions' Night in Monaco, where he won a unanimous decision over 5 rounds of boxing.
An extremely impressive performance by Gradus Kraus. His opponent, Arlen López Cardona, is a decorated boxer who has built an impressive resume during his career by achieving several successes.

The highly accomplished Cuban boxer won a gold medal at the 2016 (Rio de Janeiro) and 2020 (Tokyo) Olympic Games. He also won gold at the 2015 World Championships.
With 157 wins in 184 amateur bouts, López is considered the best light-heavyweight (175lbs/79kg) boxer from Cuba, a country known for its rich boxing history.

However, professional boxing was illegal over there until recently. Fortunately, professional boxing has been allowed again in Cuba since April 2022, which means that many top boxers such as Arlen López finally had the opportunity to also fight professionally.
López has since amassed a professional boxing record of 2–0, with both victories coming via first-round knockouts.

Back to Gradus Kraus:
His last name will sound familiar to many martial arts fans. He’s the only son of the very first K-1 MAX champion, Albert Kraus.

Gradus started his fight-career in kickboxing, just like his father. Having won several championships as a youth fighter, Gradus was seen as a great kickboxing talent, though a few years ago he set his sights on traditional boxing.

Gradus Kraus has been doing very well since his switch to boxing. He currently fights for Team NL and his goal is to participate in the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris.

The next step is a career in professional boxing.
Having beaten Arlen López will certainly help Gradus to make a name for himself in the world of boxing, as will Gradus Kraus' relationship with top coach Peter Fury (father of Hughie and uncle of Tyson Fury) with whom the young Dutchman trains very regularly. Just like Gradus’ father Albert Kraus did/does, because of his close relationship with Dennis Krauweel, (headcoach of Rico Verhoeven) who has always worked together with Fury’s camp a lot.

View attachment 1005945

View attachment 1005946
View attachment 1005947

View attachment 1005944

You ever spend time with this guy sir?

Not followed him much, but think Gradus hasn't had the greatest results in boxing before this.

22 years old and already top 40 on boxrec. If Im being realistic they need to get him into an elite boxing gym in an Anglo country, but as long as he does that he can be great.

Edit: Wait nvm thats amateur boxrec.

Last edited:
He's 18-15 in the ams, and if he stays in the Netherlands he has almost zero chance of doing well in the pros. Nothing against the Netherlands, but their boxing isn't great so if he really wants to pursue boxing as a career then he needs to move countries.

That's a really good win, I mean I need to see the fight to give an opinion on the performance. Lopez looked great in the Olympics way ahead of the rest, admittedly looks a little soft in the midsection now but still good win for Kraus. I remember seeing him after Albert's fights or in his build up promos, man I feel old.

He's 18-15 in the ams, and if he stays in the Netherlands he has almost zero chance of doing well in the pros. Nothing against the Netherlands, but their boxing isn't great so if he really wants to pursue boxing as a career then he needs to move countries.
Boxrec has him at 20-18 in the amateurs. Boxrec isn't great about covering amateur records, so his actual record is probably quite a bit different.

Definitely agree with you about having him train with an elite gym. Training in Holland is great for kickboxing but generally lacks the infrastructure for developing world class boxers.

I thought they took boxing out of the Olympics?
No, but the IOC is considering removing boxing from the games as early as 2028. The issue is the IBA's corruption, even the IOC doesn't want to deal with them

BTW kickboxing (wako) and muay thai (ifma) didn't get approved for the 2028 games.:(

Not followed him much, but think Gradus hasn't had the greatest results in boxing before this.

22 years old and already top 40 on boxrec. If Im being realistic they need to get him into an elite boxing gym in an Anglo country, but as long as he does that he can be great.

Edit: Wait nvm thats amateur boxrec.

Yeah he’s had some losses in the amateurs, and that’s no surprise as he’s coming from a kickboxing background (plus amateur boxing is there to gain experience), but lately it looks like Gradus Kraus is really coming into his own.

Here’re the highlights from his fight against Arlen López:

Yeah he’s had some losses in the amateurs, and that’s no surprise as he’s coming from a kickboxing background (plus amateur boxing is there to gain experience), but lately it looks like Gradus Kraus is really coming into his own.

Here’re the highlights from his fight against Arlen López:

Also, Gradus just competed at another IBA Champions’ Night, two days ago in Paris, when he took on multiple-time Croatian national champion Gabrijel Veocic and won by TKO:

View attachment 1007527

Not trying to be a downer, but i see more i don't like than do. That hook to the body and then step back with hands down is a huge red flag, as is his tendency to try to avoid punches by tilting his head back leaving his chin up in the air. Like i said, move to the US and train full-time with an established gym/trainer.

Not trying to be a downer, but i see more i don't like than do. That hook to the body and then step back with hands down is a huge red flag, as is his tendency to try to avoid punches by tilting his head back leaving his chin up in the air. Like i said, move to the US and train full-time with an established gym/trainer.
Are US gyms considered a step above UK gyms? UK seems to have pretty comparable success despite having a third of the US population.

Back