Gracie Jiu Jitsu questions

Hit-or-be-hit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Who is currently the youngest Gracie that holds a black belt?
Who is the oldest Gracie still alive?
How many people has Royce Gracie promoted to black belt?
Who is the fastest person not related to the Gracies to get there black belt and how long did it take them?
What is Kyra Gracies lineage?
Which Gracie is most likely the next up and coming MMA fighter?
Finally the 7th, 8th, and 9th degree Gracies die will anyone ever be promoted to these ranks??? Just like nobody is going to be promoted to 10th since Helio died. Once the current 7,8,9 die will nobody be promoted that high or will there already be a bunch more that high? The requirement look difficult.
If you have any answers to this questions please answer.
Or if you have more Gracie questions please post and hopefully somebody will know the answers.

Who is currently the youngest Gracie that holds a black belt? (Pretty sure its Kron)
Who is the oldest Gracie still alive? (Probably Carlos Jr.)
Who is the fastest person not related to the Gracies to get there black belt and how long did it take them? (BJ Penn supposedly got his in 4years.)
Which Gracie is most likely the next up and coming MMA fighter? (Roger probably has the best chance.)
Finally the 7th, 8th, and 9th degree Gracies die will anyone ever be promoted to these ranks??? Just like nobody is going to be promoted to 10th since Helio died. Once the current 7,8,9 die will nobody be promoted that high or will there already be a bunch more that high? The requirement look difficult.
Or if you have more Gracie questions please post and hopefully somebody will know the answers.

Google the rest bro.

Helio's dying has nothing to do with people no longer being promoted to 10th. That's reserved for founders...and there will not be any more.

9th is the highest and there probably will be more, since the criteria is simply "years of service to BJJ through instruction."

I mean what difference does it make if you have 9th or 10th. I mean if you have 9th your probably already fucken pwn in BJJ so it doesn't really matter.

I mean what difference does it make if you have 9th or 10th. I mean if you have 9th your probably already fucken pwn in BJJ so it doesn't really matter.

Well...the higher you are, the more control you can exert over the direction of the art, since you can control who get's the higher ranks of black belt...or at least, that's the idea.

But stripes after the first seem really more about an opportunity to continue to honor people that contributed to BJJ.

Who is the oldest Gracie still alive? (Probably Carlos Jr.)

I don't think so: Carlinhos was born in 1956. Robson (Renzo's father, so the generation before Carlos Jr) is still around, born in 1935, so I think that makes him the oldest living Gracie. Could be wrong though: full family tree here.

Surprisingly difficult to find all the birth dates of the Gracies, and to get a complete family tree: I notice for some reason the Rillion Gracie tree I was linking to doesn't include Reyson (not to be confused with Reylson), which is strange.

So, trying to knock one together myself: still looking for birth and death dates, so if anyone knows them (and can cite sources), let me know.

I'll be trying to stick in relevant links too (i.e., the school they teach at), where I can find them. Working out who all the mothers were would be handy too, but probably overly complicated: Carlos Sr had several wives and lovers, for a start.

anybody know any of the other answers?

You already had them answered earlier. To recap:

1. Who is currently the youngest Gracie that holds a black belt?

Kron Gracie (born 1989)

2. Who is the oldest Gracie still alive?

Robson Gracie (born 1935)

3. How many people has Royce Gracie promoted to black belt?

Look on Google: he's known for handing out lots of blue belts, but black belts are far tougher to get from Royce. A few people that come to mind are Rob Kahn, John Crouch and Travis Neagle.

4. Who is the fastest person not related to the Gracies to get there black belt and how long did it take them?

Possibly BJ Penn, who got his black in three years (1997-2000, IIRC). No secret to that: lots of privates and he trained loads.

5. What is Kyra Gracies lineage?

Carlos Gracie -> Robson Gracie -> Kyra Gracie

6. Which Gracie is most likely the next up and coming MMA fighter?

Several options, but probably Roger Gracie.

7. Finally the 7th, 8th, and 9th degree Gracies die will anyone ever be promoted to these ranks??? Just like nobody is going to be promoted to 10th since Helio died. Once the current 7,8,9 die will nobody be promoted that high or will there already be a bunch more that high? The requirement look difficult.

It is down to time spent (although there are exceptions, like under Rorion: his sons are already multiple degrees, so don't follow the usual system), so yes, there will be more.

IBJJF promotes the 9th, 8th, etc. degrees, so there will be a lot more. I think Marcio Simas is already on his 7th.

Who is currently the youngest Gracie that holds a black belt?
Who is the oldest Gracie still alive?
Who is the fastest person not related to the Gracies to get there black belt and how long did it take them?
Which Gracie is most likely the next up and coming MMA fighter?
Finally the 7th, 8th, and 9th degree Gracies die will anyone ever be promoted to these ranks??? Just like nobody is going to be promoted to 10th since Helio died. Our teacher Marcio Stambowsky is a 6th degree Black, got his black from the now deceased Rolls Gracie. He is slated to be promoted to 7th sometime this year as I understand it.Once the current 7,8,9 die will nobody be promoted that high or will there already be a bunch more that high? The requirement look difficult.

In regard to the Royce promotions:

There is a guy with an academy in Moreno Valley, CA, his name is Sam Marcellini and he states that he received his Black Belt from Royce.

Hello all,
Brand new white belt here in GJJ. I have a question or two. I just found out the academy I am attending doesn't have a Black Belt. Then I found out that when it comes time for your blue belt test it gets taped and emailed to Gracie HQ in Torrance, then after (sometimes 3 weeks to a month) you get an email back saying if you passed or not. I tried to ask questions about it but I never got a real answer. Is this the norm at other GJJ schools? Thank you for your time.

tenor.gif

when it comes time for your blue belt test it gets taped and emailed to Gracie HQ in Torrance, then after (sometimes 3 weeks to a month) you get an email back saying if you passed or not.

3/10

Try it with your real account, playboy.

Sorry. I think you have me confused with someone else. It really is a question I have. I am not trying to talk smack about the academy . I was only wondering if that was the norm.

Sorry. I think you have me confused with someone else. It really is a question I have. I am not trying to talk smack about the academy . I was only wondering if that was the norm.

Yes, sort of. I'll post more thoroughly when I get time. I train at a CTC

Back