Gracie Barra Pasadena/Roger Machado

trewq

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Does anyone know if either of these schools covers takedowns? Any other info about them? Machado is much more convenient for me, but I'm interested in comparison info.

I would guess Barra is focused on competition jiu jitsu while machado does thay but also self defense and basics

I trained at both when I moved to the area. In my brief experience, the curriculums were not functionally different.

The Machado school was severely lacking in the facilities department. Tiny mats, no showers, and only a single ghetto bathroom for both genders to change in. I'm not even sure how that meets building code.

GB Pasadena was fine, but I ultimately decided to train elsewhere due to the fit of personalities. YMMV.

The size of the Machado school has me worried about whether they can train takedowns. It is no wider than an apartment bedroom, though it is longer. I am worried they could not train takedowns without hitting the walls. When you went to the schools, did either teach takedowns? How long ago did you train at the schools? How long did you train at each?

Go check out both. Go to the school nearest to you

I just moved into the area not long ago and checked out both. GB Pasadena is the bigger, nicer facility and a 7 day schedule. I chose not to go there though due to all the bullshit behind the guy who runs it, Orlando Sanchez.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/46nrll/seriousbs_allegations_against_orlando_sanchez_gym/
https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/463f8d/orlando_sanchez_gym_issues/

Whether true or not, I rather not risk the potential of supporting a douche to society.

I currently train at Machado Pasadena. It is smaller, too small to be bluntly honest. I've only trained 2 months and we haven't trained takedowns in the beginner classes (when Roger Machado teaches Mon and Wed). They do have a competition team (Tues and Thurs) which I imagine they do teach takedowns. (Beginners are welcome Tues/Thurs as well)

The instruction from Roger is top notch. He's super personable and the people there are super cool and willing to teach you things if you show interest. I've learned so much in the 2 months i've been there from him and the students there as well and everyone is so damn friendly. They have a family type environment.

It definitely is small though. They get around it by doing "round-robin" type sparring which seems to work just fine. The fact that they don't have a shower or anything doesn't bother me though.

Feel free to PM me for further details or ask me here.

EDIT: Both schools will let you have a free class. GB Pasadena invited me for another free class after an initial. Try a free class before deciding. It's a big (expensive) commitment. PM me if u end up trying it out at Machado.

Last edited:
I would avoid Gracie Barra Pasadena after the controversies that erupted a few months ago with Orlando Sanchez. 40+ students and all the black belts don't leave a gym overnight for no reason.....I know a lot of the situation and it's a shame that he is still allowed to teach martial arts honestly. I'm not personally involved with it and it's all secondhand info so I'll just leave it at that.

I used to live in Pasadena and i would check out all of the following gyms in Pasadena area before making a decision.

RCJ Machado
Fight Academy
Lionheart - Paragon
Cosmic Training Center

Gracie Barra Arcadia is just a few minutes to the east, as well.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled, but at this point, I wouldn't even want to consider training somewhere which does not have showers unless it was 10-15 minutes away. I've already had two skin infections which I am pretty sure was caused by not showering after training, and I'm not trying to catch any more. Driving home covered in sweat is probably one of my least favorite aspects of the whole thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back