Gore in shooters

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First I need to refer to this short 4 minute video which pretty much sums up what I am about to say in this thread:

And now, whats your general thought about gore in shooters? In my previous thread I was talking about weapon allowance you can carry at once and many people noted realism as a factor for a change in recent years.

Now when we look at Solider of Fortune which was released back in 2002 we can see that gore levels are much much more realistic than those presented in todays shooters whether it is CoD, Battlefield or other shooters. Which is weird because I expected this trend to follow.

Since SoF 2 I have never seen such attention to detail when it comes to mutilating bodies. In CoD and BF when you shoot someone you can barely see any marks on the bodies. In SoF you can clearly see marks as well as severity of body damage based on weapons you use. Knife can make visible cutting wounds and shotguns with really close distance are able to rip hands, legs and head of the bodies.

I am not saying its right or morally acceptable...but damn satisfying to the eye. I wish we had more games like that.

SoF 2 got also parental control mode (yes, in shooters lol) where all blood is disabled, no body marks and no limbs being ripped.

Whats your thought about it?

88fb8e256b99fe7867cc957f3b1e757c6e34bdfd_hq.gif

Its ok but it still an animation. You cant really control whether you want to severe head or legs do you?
Yes you do. In Doom you can perform a glory kill on different parts of the body and it will animate accordingly. On most enemies, if you deliver a strong enough blast on a limb, it'll get blown off as they die.

This is in a 5 year old RPG with 3rd person shooting. Gore definitely exists.

SoF was so OG.
I always wondered the same thing but I assume its because of all the school shootings and shit that they had to PC down violence in games.

Killing Floor 2 is extremelly gory.

It's not really fair to compare modern games to Soldier of Fortune. It's not like it's representative of other games of the time, it was a bit of an anomaly. No game before or after did what they did.

Do you scream at the screen and rage quit in gory shooters too?

<{Heymansnicker}>

You're a sick bastard, ts! :p

But from the sounds of what you're looking for...try Fallout. You can shoot off limbs, etc very similarly to in that game.

& GoW, of course. Gore shooter kings.

shotgun.gif

HeaDShoT.gif%7Ec200

205ze3k.gif

Aliens vs predator game was gory and fun.

Sniper Elite is another one although the focus is more on the internal damage.

Back