Social Google goes to Congress

I'll just say that when you use google vs bing, the contrast in the results is pretty striking.

I'll just say that when you use google vs bing, the contrast in the results is pretty striking.
I like bing because you can actually get something back for them profiting on your online profile meta data.

More republican permanent victim status crying.

That should be expected, though. Different proprietary logic, different results. There's no such thing as an objectively "correct" result set, it's subjective. If someone likes the results they get on Bing, they should absolutely use Bing.

That should be expected, though. Different proprietary logic, different results. There's no such thing as an objectively "correct" result set, it's subjective. If someone likes the results they get on Bing, they should absolutely use Bing.
Well, then doesn't that sort of prove the point? If all you get is negative results on a topic, then maybe you're not representing the full spectrum, no?

Well, then doesn't that sort of prove the point? If all you get is negative results on a topic, then maybe you're not representing the full spectrum, no?

Differences between google and bing:

#1 – Reading Between the Lines
Bing is often accused of being too literal for words. The focus on anchor text, keywords, title tags, H1, H2, tags and the like makes Bing seem like Google was about five years ago. The result is user intent is often missed for the actual words being typed in.

Google, on the other hand, changed the way users search with its Hummingbird update in that introduced semantic search. Google identifies natural language patterns and returns results based on the context of the words being keyed into the search bar, and not just the words themselves. Google understands and picks up synonyms, as well as the relationships between keywords instead of focusing on individual keywords.

#4 – Freshness Lowers Authority
This may seem counter-intuitive at first glance, but Bing is a firm believer in the adage Old is gold. Sites that sport popular content and that have been around for a while win in the ranking stakes on Bing. The logic here is to reward authoritative content so users get the most accurate answers to their search queries. Another reason for older content getting higher ranks is that Bing takes its time to refreshes site indices, with refreshes happening about once in three months. Once a site is established in Bing’s algorithms as a high authority site, it will be a while before a fresh crawl reveals newer or more authoritative content to take its place.

On the other hand, fresher is nearly always better with Google. Google’s algorithms are tuned to find and display the latest content, all other factors like content relevance, domain authority, link profile, etc. remaining the same.

More at the source here
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.searchenginejournal.com/6-ways-bing-opposite-google/128935/amp/

Not necessarily, the algorithm just deems those results more relevant. I think it proves the point that if you like the results that Bing provides, you should use Bing.

Equality is not called for in search results. If you google flat-earth, and get a bunch of results of people mocking flat-earthers, is the problem with the algorithm or with the idea?

Differences between google and bing:

#1 – Reading Between the Lines
Bing is often accused of being too literal for words. The focus on anchor text, keywords, title tags, H1, H2, tags and the like makes Bing seem like Google was about five years ago. The result is user intent is often missed for the actual words being typed in.

Google, on the other hand, changed the way users search with its Hummingbird update in that introduced semantic search. Google identifies natural language patterns and returns results based on the context of the words being keyed into the search bar, and not just the words themselves. Google understands and picks up synonyms, as well as the relationships between keywords instead of focusing on individual keywords.

#4 – Freshness Lowers Authority
This may seem counter-intuitive at first glance, but Bing is a firm believer in the adage Old is gold. Sites that sport popular content and that have been around for a while win in the ranking stakes on Bing. The logic here is to reward authoritative content so users get the most accurate answers to their search queries. Another reason for older content getting higher ranks is that Bing takes its time to refreshes site indices, with refreshes happening about once in three months. Once a site is established in Bing’s algorithms as a high authority site, it will be a while before a fresh crawl reveals newer or more authoritative content to take its place.

On the other hand, fresher is nearly always better with Google. Google’s algorithms are tuned to find and display the latest content, all other factors like content relevance, domain authority, link profile, etc. remaining the same.

More at the source here
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.searchenginejournal.com/6-ways-bing-opposite-google/128935/amp/

Thats good to know, when it comes to looking for older articles and the such.

Do you think it's possible they're using different algorithms developed independently?

And here is your problem.

There are no "coincidences"

Do you think it's possible that if the algorithm reacts to user interaction, and the majority of the public is left leaning as the past decade of popular votes indicate, the algorithm would react to that left leaning nature of the general public more often?

Do you think it's more or less likely that the majority of early adapters and internet users in general are left leaning?

And here is your problem.

There are no "coincidences"
evG03rz.gif

Would it help if I made a distinction between coincidental by pure accident and coincidental as in correlated but not directly causational?

I just Googled "Donald Trump" and then Bing'd "Donald Trump".

First page results were essentially identical, neither was dramatically "positive" or "negative" relative to the other in terms of the links.

You're swimming in a paranoid fever dream. It's time to wake up.

I just Googled "Donald Trump" and then Bing'd "Donald Trump".

First page results were essentially identical, neither was dramatically "positive" or "negative" relative to the other in terms of the links.

You're swimming in a paranoid fever dream. It's time to wake up.
Microsoft and Google

Amazing sample size. I guess that settles it

Microsoft and Google

Amazing sample size. I guess that settles it

Maybe you missed the guy claiming Bing was spitting out fundamentally different results than Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back