Good thriller/mystery movie to watch?

p13126114_p_v7_ac.jpg

Jeremy Saulnier has made two movies that have put him on the map as a guy to watch imo.

Blue Ruin is a bit of a more subtle thriller. Not a balls to the wall thrill ride, but a more understated flick that slowly build tension. An excellent debut.

BlueRuin_Quad_ArtLR.jpg

His follow up is Green Room, which completely ignores the sophomore slump in favor of giving the more edge of your seat thrill ride to contrast Blue Ruins' slow build. Plus, Patrick Stewart is a neo nazi. Bonus! It's also unabashedly punk rock and if you were ever part of that scene it would take you back instantly. Shame that it's Anton Yelchins final performance.

green_room_ver3_xxlg.jpg

I cant wait to see what he does next.

Why limit it to the '80s on up? If you want suspense, then go with Hitchcock.

Some are also horror, sci-fi, comedy and such:

The Thing
Blood Simple
Blue Velvet
The 'Burbs
JFK
A Few Good Men
Thunderheart
The Firm
The Fugitive
Twelve Monkeys
Primal Fear
Conspiracy Theory
The Game
L.A. Confidential
Fallen
The Ninth Gate
The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
American Psycho
Memento
Don't Say a Word
The Score
Donnie Darko
Narc
Insomnia
Jason Bourne movies
Mystic River
The Village
The Manchurian Candidate
Saw
Spartan
Fightplan
V for Vendetta
Déjà Vu
The Da Vinci Code
The Sentinel
The Illusionist
The Prestige
Disturbia
Zodiac
Gone Baby Gone
Shutter Island
Now You See Me
The Maze Runner
It Follows
Gone Girl
Ex Machina
The Hateful Eight
10 Cloverfield Lane

Why limit it to the '80s on up? If you want suspense, then go with Hitchcock.

Some are also horror, sci-fi, comedy and such:

The Thing
Blood Simple
Blue Velvet
The 'Burbs
JFK
A Few Good Men
Thunderheart
The Firm
The Fugitive
Twelve Monkeys
Primal Fear
Conspiracy Theory
The Game
L.A. Confidential
Fallen
The Ninth Gate
The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
American Psycho
Memento
Don't Say a Word
The Score
Donnie Darko
Narc
Insomnia
Jason Bourne movies
Mystic River
The Village
The Manchurian Candidate
Saw
Spartan
Fightplan
V for Vendetta
Déjà Vu
The Da Vinci Code
The Sentinel
The Illusionist
The Prestige
Disturbia
Zodiac
Gone Baby Gone
Shutter Island
Now You See Me
The Maze Runner
It Follows
Gone Girl
Ex Machina
The Hateful Eight
10 Cloverfield Lane
I figured most people werent into 70s movies.

I figured most people werent into 70s movies.

If you want pre-'80s, then you can't really go wrong with Hitchcock and noir films. Outside of those areas there's also movies like:

M
And Then There Were None
Diabolique
Witness for the Prosecution
Marathon Man
Three Days of the Condor
All the President's Men

I guess I should also throw in spy thrillers.

Just to keep this thread alive I will throw out a thriller/horror movie that I think is CRIMINALLY underrated, Cry_Wolf.

Ill post more once my brain is fully functioning

I just watched this last night.

Great movie. Thanks for mentioning it.

No problem bro! Spread the word about it. There are only a handful of us here that have seen it. And I don't know anybody irl that's even heard of it. But it's brilliant. Flat out brilliant.

Oh u should also rewatch it at least once, if ya want. Literally I've rewatched it around 10 times and I'm not exagerrating one bit when I say I pick up more and more each time.

For example (and u may know this but I didn't catch it, somebody pointed it out to me):

Did u realize that the brunette and the middle eastern guy were NEVER "our" brunette and middle eastern guy? Those 2 arrived late to dinner, and they already drove through the dark area. So that means the audience NEVER met the original couple. That's why when the brunette tells xander that Roswell was her favorite show, but she's never seen him on it, even though he's the main guy.....she wasn't being a bitch. In her reality, Xander was never on Roswell. And somebody asked her if she still taught yoga and she was like no, never done yoga.

Plus a ton of other stuff like that. I swear if that director isn't at least somewhat famous in 10 years I'll eat my hat.

Jeremy Saulnier has made two movies that have put him on the map as a guy to watch imo.

Blue Ruin is a bit of a more subtle thriller. Not a balls to the wall thrill ride, but a more understated flick that slowly build tension. An excellent debut.

BlueRuin_Quad_ArtLR.jpg

His follow up is Green Room, which completely ignores the sophomore slump in favor of giving the more edge of your seat thrill ride to contrast Blue Ruins' slow build. Plus, Patrick Stewart is a neo nazi. Bonus! It's also unabashedly punk rock and if you were ever part of that scene it would take you back instantly. Shame that it's Anton Yelchins final performance.

green_room_ver3_xxlg.jpg

I cant wait to see what he does next.
I've seen both movies....both are incredible. I liked green room a bit more. And holy shit it's violent.

I agree about Clue and Showgirls.

Mystic River and Identity

Highly recommend these two.

I would say The Sixth Sense

and this movie is underrated IMO

Only one that I enjoyed that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mullholand Falls.

Back