Good Orthodox vs Southpaw Fights?

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi guyz,

So I've been having trouble when sparring southpaws. I've a boxing background so I'm ok when it comes to boxing southpaws, but kickboxing gets a bit trickier (can't seem to set up kicks properly).
Could you lay out the open guard kicking basics for me? Also, provide any good, technical fight videos between orthodox and southpaw kickboxers or nak muay.

Giorgio Petrosyan is the first kick boxer who comes to mind.

Hi guyz,

So I've been having trouble when sparring southpaws. I've a boxing background so I'm ok when it comes to boxing southpaws, but kickboxing gets a bit trickier (can't seem to set up kicks properly).
Could you lay out the open guard kicking basics for me? Also, provide any good, technical fight videos between orthodox and southpaw kickboxers or nak muay.

Watch Petrosyan vs Souwer K1 final

Watch Petrosyan and Yodsanklai.

In an open guard, you want to focus on an outside lead leg kick. Southpaw's aren't used to taking it, because most of the time they're used to guys getting clever and trying to punt the inside lead leg, so they're pretty good at checking it. So going to the outside leg is pretty good.

Often times all a southpaw really needs to succeed is a left body kick and a right hook. The hook check to the the jab, and the body kick checks any punch. If you couple that with a lead teep to push back and advancing opponent and a left spearing knee to check an opponent coming in and a southpaw doesn't really need anything else, because everything they throw has a high chance of hitting the liver.

That's not always true, I'm a southpaw but I use techniques that aren't always conventionally southpaw - but most of the time, they'll be like that.

So to fight against a southpaw you want to use similar tactics.

First you want the rear body kick, it won't hit the liver, but it hurts, you also want your left hook to come over their jab, and a left shovel hook to try to get the liver.

When you're against the southpaw, you can get away with throwing lead right hands more, so throw a lead right to set up an outside kick to the southpaws lead leg. Remember to keep stepping away from the opponents power side so that you can throw that body kick with more regularity (be careful though, because there's a good chance that the southpaw is better at a rear body kick than you are). You also want to counter his jab with your right straight.

Back