Good forum to critique lifting form - vids??

Yeah - you're bang on the money here - good assessment.

I had known that was a problem from previously, and had used the hex bar instead up until recently to compensate for it - but then a few guys tell me the hex bar is not as good as the straight bar - so now trying to get back into that.

I tried elevating the straight bar, as you suggest, yesterday actually, to the same height as the hex bar grips which is, almost exactly the length of my phone:

I taped that also:

https://d1wst0behutosd.cloudfront.n...KgvldLG~OA__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJJ6WELAPEP47UKWQ

??
Hey man. Yeah I thought as much.

Actually what I meant by higher starting position was not the height of the bar, but your hips. Let's compare these two pictures:
DeadliftSetup2.jpg

On the picture on the left he is deep and on the picture on the right he is higher. This dude can keep neutral spine in either position though.

Incidently, if you look at your starting positions in the two videos you posted:
2qvb15c.jpg

Notice how the position on the right is much better for you? Your hips are higher which again doesn't require as much hip flexion. Hip flexion which seems limiting for you. If only your legs were a little shorter and arms a little longer, that would be your starting position off the floor and it wouldn't matter, but alas! Anyway, point being that a higher hip position might be preferable for you atm. Also it's a deadlift and not a squat.

Alright, now on to the second issue, which is your weight distribution and technique during the lift. Look at these stills:
sex2md.jpg

339k3m8.jpg

Your weight comes forward in both stances as seen in the middle. This puts your center of mass further ahead of you, increasing the moment arm and making it heavier. Also, you gain forward momentum which takes weight off your glutes and hamstring and puts it on your quads. Then, you raise your hips and straighten your legs first and after they are almost completely straight, only then do you start to extend your hips. It doesn't look as bad in the first one because you are pulling from the blocks with the bar elevated and your starting position is better, but look at the second row and last picture. Your lumbar spine is bent, the bar is way infront of you and there's way too much space between the bar and your shins. That's a terrible position to deadlift from.

You want to sit back a little/pull your weight back instead of coming forward when you initiate the lift. You want to extend your knees and hips in one motion, instead of splitting it up in two like you're doing. That will also keep the bar close to your shins. It should look something like this:
deadlift_up.jpg

One fluid motion. It takes practice. Also, remember to take a breath in and brace your core and tighten up your lats before sitting back.

Now, first things first. With your hips you'd want to do two things. One is working on hip mobility (stretching is less important) and the other is finding a good starting position you can get into with your lower back neutral. Finding that position is trial and error. I'd suggest trying to rotate your feet outwards a little more and starting from a little higher of a hip position as we talked about earlier. Film a few different setups and see what happens. From there you work on the technique of the lift.

In regards to your hip mobility, I'd suggest starting all your workouts with this:

Followed by this:

A few notes on that one. Do more reps of each progression than he's doing here. That way you'll get more out of it and get a better warmup. You don't have to be as deep in the squat as he is at the end either, just remember to squeeze your glutes and hold it for a sec or two. Take your time with each of the movements. Also, as you can see he's not using his hands for support, but I can't do this without using my hands as a help during some of it, so maybe you have to as well.

I would suggest the side plank and regular plank as well, with a focus on squeezing your glutes, and core, and pulling your tailbone in under you creating a posterior tilt. It sounds weird, but sometimes getting better core stability and control can free up some range of motion in the extremities. Maybe do a hip flexor stretch too, as you seem a little anterior tilted, and remember to stay tall and squeeze your glutes/pull your tailbone in under you/create a posterior tilt there as well. It gives a better stretch and pelvic control.

One more thing, take off your shoes before deadlifting or lift in flat shoes. Shoes with heels like the ones you're using will only contribute to the weight coming forward AND make your legs even longer.

In regards to your squats, there's a few more exercises that might help there, but that's probably for another thread.

Anyway, keep practicing. If you just can't find a good position after trying for a while, then lifting from blocks/rack as you did in the second video OR pulling from a sumo/semi sumo stance might be the answer. Don't worry, there's plenty of options!

Last edited:

Actually what I meant by higher starting position was not the height of the bar, but your hips. Let's compare these two pictures:
DeadliftSetup2.jpg

On the picture on the left he is deep and on the picture on the right he is higher. This dude can keep neutral spine in either position though.

Incidently, if you look at your starting positions in the two videos you posted:
2qvb15c.jpg

Notice how the position on the right is much better for you? Your hips are higher which again doesn't require as much hip flexion. Hip flexion which seems limiting for you. If only your legs were a little shorter and arms a little longer, that would be your starting position off the floor and it wouldn't matter, but alas! Anyway, point being that a higher hip position might be preferable for you atm. Also it's a deadlift and not a squat.

Alright, now on to the second issue, which is your weight distribution and technique during the lift. Look at these stills:
sex2md.jpg

339k3m8.jpg

Your weight comes forward in both stances as seen in the middle. This puts your center of mass further ahead of you, increasing the moment arm and making it heavier. Also, you gain forward momentum which takes weight off your glutes and hamstring and puts it on your quads. Then, you raise your hips and straighten your legs first and after they are almost completely straight, only then do you start to extend your hips. It doesn't look as bad in the first one because you are pulling from the blocks with the bar elevated and your starting position is better, but look at the second row and last picture. Your lumbar spine is bent, the bar is way infront of you and there's way too much space between the bar and your shins. That's a terrible position to deadlift from.

You want to sit back a little/pull your weight back instead of coming forward when you initiate the lift. You want to extend your knees and hips in one motion, instead of splitting it up in two like you're doing. That will also keep the bar close to your shins. It should look something like this:
deadlift_up.jpg

One fluid motion. It takes practice. Also, remember to take a breath in and brace your core and tighten up your lats before sitting back.

Now, first things first. With your hips you'd want to do two things. One is working on hip mobility (stretching is less important) and the other is finding a good starting position you can get into with your lower back neutral. Finding that position is trial and error. I'd suggest trying to rotate your feet outwards a little more and starting from a little higher of a hip position as we talked about earlier. Film a few different setups and see what happens. From there you work on the technique of the lift.

In regards to your hip mobility, I'd suggest starting all your workouts with this:

Followed by this:

A few notes on that one. Do more reps of each progression than he's doing here. That way you'll get more out of it and get a better warmup. You don't have to be as deep in the squat as he is at the end either, just remember to squeeze your glutes and hold it for a sec or two. Take your time with the movements. Also, as you can see he's not using his hands for support, but I can't do this without using my hands as a help during some of it, so maybe you have to as well.

I would suggest the side plank and regular plank as well, with a focus on squeezing your glutes, and core, and pulling your tailbone in under you creating a posterior tilt. It sounds weird, but sometimes getting better core stability and control can free up some range of motion in the extremities. Maybe do a hip flexor stretch too, as you seem a little anterior tilted, and remember to stay tall and squeeze your glutes/pull your tailbone in under you/create a posterior tilt there as well. It gives a better stretch and pelvic control.

One more thing, take off your shoes before deadlifting or lift in flat shoes. Shoes with heels like the ones you're using will only contribute to the weight coming forward AND make your legs even longer.

In regards to your squats, there's a few more exercises that might help there, but that's probably for another thread.

Anyway, keep practicing. If you just can't find a good position after trying for a while, then lifting from blocks/rack as you did in the second video OR pulling from a semi sumo stance might be the answer. Don't worry, there's plenty of options!

this is some good shit, mang

You don't have to pull in a conventional stance either. Maybe after some tweaks it will still prove to be best for you, but I'd experiment a little bit.

DeadliftSetup2.jpg

2qvb15c.jpg

sex2md.jpg

339k3m8.jpg

deadlift_up.jpg

Followed by this:

A few notes on that one. Do more reps of each progression than he's doing here. That way you'll get more out of it and get a better warmup. You don't have to be as deep in the squat as he is at the end either, just remember to squeeze your glutes and hold it for a sec or two. Take your time with each of the movements. Also, as you can see he's not using his hands for support, but I can't do this without using my hands as a help during some of it, so maybe you have to as well.

Anyway, keep practicing. If you just can't find a good position after trying for a while, then lifting from blocks/rack as you did in the second video OR pulling from a sumo/semi sumo stance might be the answer. Don't worry, there's plenty of options!

Awesome man - super break down - I appreciate it.

How you screen shot the difference between floor pull and block pull really highlights the necessity to find the right position for my body type.

I did a few more today, this time focusing on my starting position with the bar mid foot, and my shoulder blades over the bar.

On reviewing the video, I do see that I am starting with hips to low/shoulders too much behind the bar - but when I go to pull it, it's like I pull myself into a better position before it takes off.
I'd probably want to correct that entirely.

Definitely plan to work on them aspects, especially going bare foot moving forward.

i have the same issues with my legs, i.e. too long (and too skinny) though a narrow stance deadlift seems to work with me - however, inversely for squats, i have to go wider in order to get past parallel

I'm long and skinny too (tou aren't that skinny) for I like tiger my grip and pull myself down into the spot then lift. On that 2nd video it almost looked like you were going to do
That, then youbdidnt.

Whatever im only stronger than I used to be, I'm no authority figure I'm just an unfrozen caveman lawyer....what do I know.

Awesome man - super break down - I appreciate it.

How you screen shot the difference between floor pull and block pull really highlights the necessity to find the right position for my body type.

I did a few more today, this time focusing on my starting position with the bar mid foot, and my shoulder blades over the bar.

On reviewing the video, I do see that I am starting with hips to low/shoulders too much behind the bar - but when I go to pull it, it's like I pull myself into a better position before it takes off.
I'd probably want to correct that entirely.

Definitely plan to work on them aspects, especially going bare foot moving forward.
No worries man. Just don't have your shoulders too far ahead of the bar either. Remember the sit back cue, even if you're pulling from a higher starting position. Anyway, hope it helps!

PS: As I said earlier, there's always sumo/semi sumo or block pulling as options.

DeadliftSetup2.jpg

2qvb15c.jpg

sex2md.jpg

339k3m8.jpg

deadlift_up.jpg

Followed by this:

make sure to send him an invoice for this thorough training lesson.

Alright - more work on form, and perhaps you guys can have a quick butchers to see how it's going.

This was my final set, which was meant to be 3 but, after that I had to finish for the day.

This one is trimmed...

And a quick look at these squats also.

My depth is horrible, but I was actually experimenting with the bar further down my back here so I could get more than usual depth.
Yes - normally it's actually worse, depth wise.

Just trying to ensure the form doesn't result in injury of some kind...

Also - going bare foot on the deadlifts felt 100% better, like you guys said.

Should I be doing that for squats also??

the first rep you leaned forward on DL and you seem to have a slightly rounded lower back on the other reps.

how much do you have on there, do you have it up on blocks in order to combat the back rounding? It's certainly not as rounded as your first video.

Comparing these two deadlift form threads is night and day.

Thanks @EatMyShorts, for being such an awesome, teachable person.

You and I have very similar body types, expect I'm much prettier. LOL

I feel like you're a little too far from the bar. Also instead of bringing your head back like that, try bringing your chest up instead.

I wish I could be there to show you this but here's how I set-up as a tall skinny guy.

Pretend you're going to jump straight up as high as you can... That's where your feet belong.
centre your feet under the bar so that the bar is right over the centre of the foot. It will look closer to the body than you think. Now only move your shins towards the bar until they just touch. Now sit back and grab the bar. This is your starting position.

EDIT: Between the time I started writing this post, and actually posting it between jobs, I see @Sano pretty much addressed enough stuff to get you started... Ignore this post!

Back