Good deep half videos

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
im working on just half guard this month 2 weeks regular half then 2 weeks deep but tbhI only know basics from it I never really learnt a lot nor played it and I hav not rely kept up with the bjj scene since 2011 after I got my brown so who's a great guy besides Jeff glover who has good deep half stuff? Nothing super grip crazy lol. Ps typing on a old crappy phone sorry about it being a long mess

im working on just half guard this month 2 weeks regular half then 2 weeks deep but tbhI only know basics from it I never really learnt a lot nor played it and I hav not rely kept up with the bjj scene since 2011 after I got my brown so who's a great guy besides Jeff glover who has good deep half stuff? Nothing super grip crazy lol. Ps typing on a old crappy phone sorry about it being a long mess

I was strongly influenced by this fairly recent, simple video of Jonathan Satava showing Bernardo Faria how he transfers from deep half to x guard. The hook switch he shows has become an instant first move for me when I get to deep half, allowing to efficiently transition to other guards, or just avoid getting smashed while attempting standard DHG attacks like the waiter sweep.

My top two recommendations would be Ryan Hall's deep half DVD set, and Bernardo Faria's Faria Guard DVD set. Both made a huge difference in my game.

How do most of you prefer to hold your feat some like to use the left foot as a hook under there heel to elavate the leg and I have seen some guys just triangle there legs

I think an inside or outside hook is the best. You can always unhook your feet, but if you don't hook ,and they are flexible, they can sometimes bring the caught leg close to their body and posture up.

I always go for a hook immediately, but if they have short legs it doesn't always work. Also, the inside hook is an alternative way to do the Faria sweep if you can't get a good bridge. Jason Scully has a good video of this.

How do most of you prefer to hold your feat some like to use the left foot as a hook under there heel to elavate the leg and I have seen some guys just triangle there legs

Well, as in the Satava video I posted above, I like to get an outside hook and immediately switch it to an inside hook. I've found that this allows me to transition fluidly to other leg entanglement guards, and also attempt traditional DHG attacks without worrying about being crushed or being kimura'd.

ryan hall is such a good teacher i picked up some details on a guard pass i still use everyday from the DHG set haha

I think I prefer the inside hook. I like to use it to assist with the Faria sweep sometimes. It really comes down to the types of attacks you like to use. Bernardo doesn't use hooks at all.

i went to a Jeff Glover seminar in December and at least half of it was deep half. he's got some great entries but he's also insanely flexible and not as big and oafy as i am. great teacher though. taught us a very nice sequence that he uses as his bread-and-butter.

i'd love to practice it more but i'm too damn big. my torso is longer than most people's legs :(

edit: and i'm just awful at jujitsu so that's not helping anything.

The aforementiond stuff is terrific. If you want to peruse some of my stuff (which certainly borrows liberally from Glover and Faria, along with Jake MacKenzie), I have a fair amount of free tutorials on deep half, which is easily one of my favorite types of guard:

http://hubpages.com/sports/BJJ-Tutorials#41155852_callout

I was strongly influenced by this fairly recent, simple video of Jonathan Satava showing Bernardo Faria how he transfers from deep half to x guard. The hook switch he shows has become an instant first move for me when I get to deep half, allowing to efficiently transition to other guards, or just avoid getting smashed while attempting standard DHG attacks like the waiter sweep.

That was magical. I love seeing stuff that makes me think, "That's so ridiculously simple, why didn't I think of it?"

- Deep half to Lucas Leite half transition. Extra good for no gi where you don't have the lapel stuff.

ryan hall is such a good teacher i picked up some details on a guard pass i still use everyday from the DHG set haha

I wish Hall would do an update of his DHG instructional that focused on deep half as a transition point.
That was magical. I love seeing stuff that makes me think, "That's so ridiculously simple, why didn't I think of it?"

Indeed. I've found you can often just come straight up into the standard "taking out the trash" sweep without even getting the second x hook in.

I wish Hall would do an update of his DHG instructional that focused on deep half as a transition point.

Indeed. I've found you can often just come straight up into the standard "taking out the trash" sweep without even getting the second x hook in.

Are you talking about the sweep where you basically do a technical standup with the leg on your shoulder because I can totally see that.

I think I prefer the inside hook. I like to use it to assist with the Faria sweep sometimes. It really comes down to the types of attacks you like to use. Bernardo doesn't use hooks at all.

OK, I take this back. I definitely hook with the outside foot, and only switch to the inside hook for attacks.

I think the official name of that move, according to Bernardo, is "throw awaying the trash" :). It is actually a really effective sweep when your opponent starts to stand up. Bernardo doesn't use any x-hooks for it, he just transitions into a technical standup. I just recently started trying to add it to my game.

Back