Golovkin vs Monroe Jr 05/16

bruh, that's not how I meant it haha, just saying that LSC is looking to fight no-namers.

Go watch mad max and inject some tiger blood into your veins, that'll restore your machismo and then you'll be able to come at me.

You won't be able to handle me once I add the panther piss to my ensemble. It's banned in 6 continents And works 50%, 100% of the time. You're fucked

Golovkins post fight interviews always remind me of Dan Aykroyd in those wild and crazy guys skits.

a joke about him fighting bums

Gonzalez is maybe a bit more than a pure pressure fighter though. We've seen Gonzalez be happy to fight on the backfoot a bit and he boxes at range. The goal is always the same I guess: come forward and pin them up against the ropes to unleash punches, but I wouldn't say Gonzalez is a pure pressure fighter in the way Golovkin is. Gonzalez also looks to counter more than GGG does. I agree on the whole though that Gonzalez is overall the superior fighter than GGG, including at pressuring, and he's faced he better comp by far. Sosa has faced a whose who in the lower weight classes: Wonjongkam, Viloria (whom he beat), Segura (another guy he beat), Sonny Boy Jaro (former lineal champ he beat), and Yaegashi among others, but nobody did to him what Gonzalez did last night.

I think another example of a good pressure fighter nowadays is Frampton. Wouldn't say he's as good as Golovkin or Gonzalez necessarily, but he's one of the best in the game right now.

The same could be said for Golovkin, though, he has evolved from more of a boxer puncher earlier in his career and in the amateurs to more or less only a pressure fighter now. I don't necessarily think he is better off for the change, but until he stops having great success, there isn't a ton to criticize.

You won't be able to handle me once I add the panther piss to my ensemble. It's banned in 6 continents And works 50%, 100% of the time. You're fucked

holy shit, I'm already packing my bags, to escape you. If you add some bullshark stem cells you'll probably be able to catch me on the scent of my relative beta-ness.

btw: what's up with the dubs?

The same could be said for Golovkin, though, he has evolved from more of a boxer puncher earlier in his career and in the amateurs to more or less only a pressure fighter now. I don't necessarily think he is better off for the change, but until he stops having great success, there isn't a ton to criticize.

Perhaps, but I guess the way I read it, it was "best pressure fighter now" and I'm not sure that Gonzalez is a pure pressure fighter, while GGG is slowly evolving into a pure pressure fighter. Though I agree, I'm kinda getting worried that this evolution might not be for the best. Has Golovkin shown good countering skills before? I don't think I've seen much of that, being able to transition from the front foot to the back foot and vice versa is gonna be important for him if he goes up to SMW. He'll need to work his jab more to keep bigger opponents at range. Maybe Abel Sanchez hasn't been all good as far as influencing his style.

fun fact: Golovkin beat Andy Lee, Bute, Dirrel, Koborov, and Geale all in the ammies, he knows his way around against guys in the surrounding weight classes.

Man I just an hour and a half ago and now I comeback and see King got dubbed in less than 90mins? What'd you do, brah?

holy shit, I'm already packing my bags, to escape you. If you add some bullshark stem cells you'll probably be able to catch me on the scent of my relative beta-ness.

btw: what's up with the dubs?

Magic theyre gone.

I had said something as a joke in the mad max forum so i had to have a talk with dragon lord to get it overturned.

Just have to remember where im at with some of my sarcastic remarks. Mayberry dont know me like the boxing forum lol

also forgot to tell everyone.

so after the fight. i was staying in rancho cucamonga and we go get some mexican food from albertos. These two mexican guys come in and over hear me and my son talking about the fight. One of them says they came from there too.

We tell him how we snuck up and sat next to leo santa cruz and he says "oh ya, i spar with him all the time. Im a fighter" I proceed to ask questions.

He said his name is xavier "the mongoose" last name something i cant say or type in spanish. but it was cool just to cap the night off.

Found him. He said he was 8-2 and was more of a slick type boxer. Only has 2 Ko's

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?cat=boxer&human_id=584854

[YT]0_EibyeJAYE[/YT]

Has Golovkin shown good countering skills before? I don't think I've seen much of that

He does nothing but look for counters the entire fight. Most of the kd's and ko's he scores are a result of counters... His entire style is positioning for a range where his opponent has to either punch or move, then adjusting to the openings they give when they throw and countering. He literally does nothing but that the entire fight, every fight, obviously with a many more wrinkles in his overall game, but operating within that strategy.

The point is that he might be waiting upwards of a year to do that. If he wants to be a star right away, fighting Ward would probably give him that chance. Now, I'd have no problem with Golovkin staying at MW and trying to clear the division out, but if he wants to be a star, he probably needs other big name opponents.

IF he wins, and there is a very big chance that he won't. Then his stock will fall and both Cotto and Canelo are better names to the casual fan than Ward because they are still active fighters. How many of them even watched Wards last fight which was 18 months ago?

So it makes more sense in my mind and I guess of GGG handlers for him to waut ti beat either Canelo or Cotto first, or both before taking on Ward. In the meantime Ward gets to walk through Paul Smith and hopefully get back on the radar.

And even if GGG does find a way to win against Ward I doubt it's going to be a visual extravaganza. So it's likely that GGG shine will be somewhat dulled after that fight.

Perhaps, but I guess the way I read it, it was "best pressure fighter now" and I'm not sure that Gonzalez is a pure pressure fighter, while GGG is slowly evolving into a pure pressure fighter. Though I agree, I'm kinda getting worried that this evolution might not be for the best. Has Golovkin shown good countering skills before? I don't think I've seen much of that, being able to transition from the front foot to the back foot and vice versa is gonna be important for him if he goes up to SMW. He'll need to work his jab more to keep bigger opponents at range. Maybe Abel Sanchez hasn't been all good as far as influencing his style.

fun fact: Golovkin beat Andy Lee, Bute, Dirrel, Koborov, and Geale all in the ammies, he knows his way around against guys in the surrounding weight classes.

Iron, I love you, but I got halfway through reading this and I was still convinced that Roman Gonzalez was the fucking balls through all of this. Gonzalez is the class, the man, the champion, the p4p #1.

Iron, I love you, but I got halfway through reading this and I was still convinced that Roman Gonzalez was the fucking balls through all of this. Gonzalez is the class, the man, the champion, the p4p #1.

oh I agree my man, I agree. You'll here no words coming from me against that.

He does nothing but look for counters the entire fight. Most of the kd's and ko's he scores are a result of counters... His entire style is positioning for a range where his opponent has to either punch or move, then adjusting to the openings they give when they throw and countering. He literally does nothing but that the entire fight, every fight, obviously with a many more wrinkles in his overall game, but operating within that strategy.

Perhaps I should have been clearer, I meant to say more traditional countering skills.

GGG won't move up & fight Ward for the same reason Ward REFUSES to move up & fight Stevenson or Kovalev. There is a higher risk if losing & suffering a career setback.

That's why Gsp would not move up & fight Silva...just like Silva wouldn't move up & fight Bones. No one wants to fight the bigger man

BJ Penn begs to differ, but they don't make em like him.

nick diaz
fedor
dan henderson
wand

just to name a few of the truly great warriors

Yes those guys will fight whoever, at whatever weight. BJ Penn fought Machida at HW, he doesn't give a damn who it is, but his record suffered because of it. If he had just stayed at Lightweight he would have had an immaculate record.

Back