Golf Thread V3: The Spieth-Easy

Makani

Ain't Nobody Ever Been Free
@Gold
Reaction score
Give that man his jacket. Props to Rose and Lefty for shooting 14-under and not even sniffing the lead.

spieth1.jpg

In what other sport does a participant have to suffer a further disadvantage specifically because he did precisely what the ref told him to do? Holy shit, golf, shrink your tome of a rule book; the fucking guys in charge of the rules don't even know the rules. Freaking Obamacare might be less byzantine and confounding.
http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-o...with-bizarre-rule-for-playing-wrong-golf-ball
CBS Sports said:
Phil Mickelson and Zach Johnson came to the 7th hole all square in their match against Adam Scott and Jason Day. They left two down. Do what? It's true.

Mickelson errantly played in incorrect golf ball before picking it up halfway through the hole and not finishing out. Johnson was beaten by the International team.

The rule Mickelson violated is called the "one ball" condition, and it applies specifically to match play. Here's what the USGA rule says.

i) "One Ball" Condition

During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

Note: If a ball of a different brand and/or model is dropped or placed it may be lifted, without penalty, and the player must then proceed by dropping or placing a proper ball (Rule 20-6).

Mickelson apparently played the 7th hole with a different type of ball than he started the round with. This rule doesn't apply in the alternate shot format. The penalty is as follows.

Match play - At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round - Two holes.

But here's the rub. Mickelson didn't have to stop playing the hole. He could have played out the hole instead of letting Johnson go alone. Johnson lost and then the extra hole penalty was tacked on.

According to Golf Channel, Mickelson was actually told to pick up his ball by a referee. According to Steve Sands of Golf Channel, the head referee for the Presidents Cup apologized and said it was "committee error." Yeah, no kidding.

The referees also took responsibility in this release from the Presidents Cup which also said there's essentially nothing that can be done after a player picks up his ball.

Here you go pic.twitter.com/KWsxrCSRmA
— Doug Ferguson (@dougferguson405) October 9, 2015

"Phil assumed the one ball rule was not in effect," said US captain Jay Haas. "It was a mental error. He was told he was disqualified from the hole but I'm not too sure if that was the correct ruling."

Very impressive performance by Spieth. Would have been nice if he could have made the par on 18 to shoot 269 for the week.

My friend won a grand betting on him.

President's Cup has been nonstop back-and-forth action, it's been more entertaining than the majority of PGA tournaments this past year.

I won a bottle of vodka, not quite as good, but free booze tastes the best ;) Was amazing watching him this weekend, even if he slowed down, he never looked like the pressure was getting to him. He's probably going to be wearing the Lebron headband by next Masters though.

President's Cup has been nonstop back-and-forth action, it's been more entertaining than the majority of PGA tournaments this past year.

No doubt. Louis and Grace have been incredible this week. They've been one of the better teams I've ever seen in this or the Ryder Cup. Their match with Bubba and JB yesterday was fantastic.

Better get a transplant with that Masters money.

Love listening to these Koreans ooh and ahh at the shots. No stupid yelling.

Yeah, that's a bald 21 year old.

A challenger appears! Hopefully Jordan can go head to head against Rory for world dominance.

Johnson choking, BIG MARC IS OFF THE LEASH WOOF WOOF

Next major is in my backyard, almost literally. I live a half mile from Chambers Bay, I run its trail several times a week. It will be fun to watch the pros play a course I know fairly well.

Spieth is about 2 1/2 Getzlafs out of 6

AwnRmEp.jpg

Spieth has a bright future.

kid has moxey, I'll give him that.

and a lot of poise under pressure.

great shot shaping and course management between him and his caddie.

course is waaaay too easy though.

challenge these guys, PGA.

I guess he isn't the next Sergio after all...lol.

Course seemed to be lacking some fire from years past. I know it rained the week prior but I want to see shots on 15 rolling off the front and back of the green. Everyone was sticking long irons on 4. 13th green was a picnic. Shots that would have severely punished the players in the past were much more forgivable. Props to Jordan, best putter I've seen in my days of watching golf.

I remember Spieth giving an interview last year talking about how a lot of his mistakes are due to not knowing the course well enough. That quote really sunk in with me as he was consistently shooting well with just a few mishaps. It's pretty impressive to be shooting as low as he is at 21 years old.

Course seemed to be lacking some fire from years past. I know it rained the week prior but I want to see shots on 15 rolling off the front and back of the green. Everyone was sticking long irons on 4. 13th green was a picnic. Shots that would have severely punished the players in the past were much more forgivable. Props to Jordan, best putter I've seen in my days of watching golf.

I agree. I thought they would dry the greens, which they could have done easily with the system they have on that course, out a bit more after they saw how well the course was scoring.

The rough was nice and short. Players were driving all over the place and rarely paying a price for it. The course in incredible, but it was certainly lacking some bite.

there wasn't any wind either. also they should have turned on the sub air and made those greens into concrete for the weekend. i do love watching when they shoot really low, but save that stuff for the easier tournaments with the guys fighting for their tour card.

Majors should be punishing, no matter what. seriously, even par should win a major.

The rough was nice and short. Players were driving all over the place and rarely paying a price for it. The course in incredible, but it was certainly lacking some bite.

I noticed that too, the rough was no problem for these guys.

phil commented after the 2nd round that the course was very wet.
especially the greens.

these guys go pin hunting under those conditions. ha, how many flag sticks were hit just Saturday?
super shoulda dried it out.

Back