Gokhan Saki vs. Henrique Da Silva | My first published fight analysis

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
My first published analysis is finally online! I wrote it not long after seeing the fight as a spur of the moment thing.

We cover:

- Da Silva's gameplan
- Saki's striking transformation
- His approach to takedown defence
- What else he needs to do to be competitive

Here's an excerpt:

Striking in mixed martial arts is heavily based on distancing.The reason being that it is far easier to avoid takedowns via making the wrestler shoot and fall short, than it is to stay close and constantly have to fight off takedowns and waste energy. This is the strategy that Robert Whittaker used to handily beat Jacare Souza and Yoel Romero, something that Saki clearly had in mind during his fight.

Despite being known for fighting on the front foot and firing off blistering hook combinations (frequently off of the same hand), against Da Silva, Saki was fleet-footed, moving in and out, looking not unlike a prime Mirko Cro Cop. Had Saki fought in the same way he did in GLORY, he undoubtedly would have been taken down and stopped on the ground.

Saki-MMA-1.jpg

Saki keeps a much longer distance between himself and his opponent. He maintains this distance before switching stance, throwing a surprise quick high kick (the second of the fight) before bringing his leg down and immediately throwing a surprise left straight from southpaw down the pipe, knocking his man down.

Here's the full article:
http://www.muay-thai-guy.com/saki-bomb-the-fuse-is-lit.html

Let me know what you think!

Ye Saki showed a lot of intelligence. And he is indeed going to learn a lot if he trains with top Turkish wrestlers. In the Balkans, Eastern Europe we have some top traditions in wrestling and some world class wrestlers.

I do not expect him to clean the division, but so far it seems in every fight he will have he is going to have that puncher chance for real, not like McGregor vs Maywheater hype that McGregor is having a puncher chance. This guy will always be a treat in a fight and I believe he will land quite a few knock downs if he is to make 5 or more fights.

He however needs another "easy" fight, before being fed to the sharks. And if trown to the sharks let it be someone like Gustafson.

What I think is really interesting, is his history with Semmy Schilt. He's fought him and he's trained with him, he's got quite a lot of ring experience with him... so there's not really any fighter who will seem particularly big or tall. While I'd like to imagine that Gustafsson would beat Saki, I don't think his range would really be much of a factor in the fight.

My first published analysis is finally online! I wrote it not long after seeing the fight as a spur of the moment thing.

We cover:

- Da Silva's gameplan
- Saki's striking transformation
- His approach to takedown defence
- What else he needs to do to be competitive

Here's an excerpt:

Striking in mixed martial arts is heavily based on distancing.The reason being that it is far easier to avoid takedowns via making the wrestler shoot and fall short, than it is to stay close and constantly have to fight off takedowns and waste energy. This is the strategy that Robert Whittaker used to handily beat Jacare Souza and Yoel Romero, something that Saki clearly had in mind during his fight.

Despite being known for fighting on the front foot and firing off blistering hook combinations (frequently off of the same hand), against Da Silva, Saki was fleet-footed, moving in and out, looking not unlike a prime Mirko Cro Cop. Had Saki fought in the same way he did in GLORY, he undoubtedly would have been taken down and stopped on the ground.

Saki-MMA-1.jpg

Saki keeps a much longer distance between himself and his opponent. He maintains this distance before switching stance, throwing a surprise quick high kick (the second of the fight) before bringing his leg down and immediately throwing a surprise left straight from southpaw down the pipe, knocking his man down.

Here's the full article:
http://www.muay-thai-guy.com/saki-bomb-the-fuse-is-lit.html

Let me know what you think!
Saki just wanted to bang!

What I think is really interesting, is his history with Semmy Schilt. He's fought him and he's trained with him, he's got quite a lot of ring experience with him... so there's not really any fighter who will seem particularly big or tall. While I'd like to imagine that Gustafsson would beat Saki, I don't think his range would really be much of a factor in the fight.
i dunno man, gus had trouble with that kickboxer he faced before glover. you're probably right tho.

i dunno man, gus had trouble with that kickboxer he faced before glover. you're probably right tho.

This is exactly why I think if Saki makes it to the shark fight, Gus is the right person Saki is fed to. Saki may stand a chance with him. But DC or some whrestler ... nope.

I think that if Saki and Gus fought, I'd imagein Gus will try ot strike with him, and assuming Saki doesn't gas, he'd eventually change plan and start to wrestle. Gotta keep in mind that Glover does have entire fights were all three rounds he outgrapples his opponents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back