Going to Chicago for a trip - any suggestions? UPDATE: I'm here

The Magnificent Mile downtown is great to walk around. I was only in Chicago once and really enjoyed the Navy Peer and Millennium Park I think it's call. It's just off the mile and worth checking out, it has a cool city vibe to it. My one regret was not taking an architectural tour boat ride that goes down the river. Even the locals say it is awesome. Try to soak in the skyline as the city has some great architecture and downtown its super clean.

Have a great trip!

Don't call it deep dish. Just call it pizza. Lou Malnatti's the go-to, but there's also Giordano's. It's a great town. So many hot women saddled to so many fat dudes. People say avoid the South Side, but I think that's where Chinatown is. There's a restaurant converted from a great house called Roseangeli's. Or Rose Angeli's? Tucked away in a sleepy little neighborhood. Nice date place.

Don't ask for ketchup. Especially on your dog. They got strong opinions on that sort of thing.

The "south side" is a huge area it is literally anything south of Madison. Hyde Park is on the south side and it is Obama's neighborhood, far from bad. The parts to stay away from is anything near the I-290 expressway (AKA Heroin Highway), there are open air drug markets and a good portion of the shootings are over drug territory. The portions of the South Side that are bad really have nothing much to do there, so there is no reason to go there.

The Magnificent Mile downtown is great to walk around. I was only in Chicago once and really enjoyed the Navy Peer and Millennium Park I think it's call. It's just off the mile and worth checking out, it has a cool city vibe to it. My one regret was not taking an architectural tour boat ride that goes down the river. Even the locals say it is awesome. Try to soak in the skyline as the city has some great architecture and downtown its super clean.

Have a great trip!

the Architectural Boat ride is a good one, there also is a river walk.

Go to a Cubs game if they're playing while you're there.

Stay out of the hood or you die.

I'm going to skydeck ledge when I go to chicago
Skydeck-58.jpg

The "south side" is a huge area it is literally anything south of Madison. Hyde Park is on the south side and it is Obama's neighborhood, far from bad. The parts to stay away from is anything near the I-290 expressway (AKA Heroin Highway), there are open air drug markets and a good portion of the shootings are over drug territory. The portions of the South Side that are bad really have nothing much to do there, so there is no reason to go there.

Navy Pier, Willis sky deck, the bean, Buckingham fountain, Jordan statue at United Center, Field Museum, MSI, Shedd Aquarium,, Lincoln Park Zoo, River boat tours etc.

Eatily is an awesome restaurant. I'm also a big fan of Geja's cafe not too far from Wrigley. Lou's is a local favorite for pizza but try Ovengrinders on Clark.

The Field Museum is really nice, so is the Shed Aquarium. the Museum of Science and industry is good too, but it is kind of a distance from You, it is near the University of Chicago. Honestly all of the major museums are worth going to. The Lincoln park Zoo is near where you are staying and it is free.

Thanks, you've been very helpful.

a chicago dog is actually pretty damn good.

i didnt like deep dish pizza, but i guess if youve never had it you gotta try it. ive had gino's and another one of the highly frequented ones; cant remember which it was. but man, that 'crust' was just some god damn cardboard, and i expected it to be fulllll of sauce/cheese but it really wasnt.

Is Chicago the city that has the famous hot dog shop that berates you while you order, or am I thinking of something completely else?

Edit: Yep, just found it, and it's called Weiners Circle. It's near where I'm staying, so I've gotta check it out.

Last edited:
Don't call it deep dish. Just call it pizza. Lou Malnatti's the go-to, but there's also Giordano's. It's a great town. So many hot women saddled to so many fat dudes. People say avoid the South Side, but I think that's where Chinatown is. There's a restaurant converted from a great house called Roseangeli's. Or Rose Angeli's? Tucked away in a sleepy little neighborhood. Nice date place.

Don't ask for ketchup. Especially on your dog. They got strong opinions on that sort of thing.

Thanks for the tips. I also don't put ketchup on my hot dogs, so I'm a step in the right direction.

Have a great trip!

I just did google images of the places you mentioned, and it all looks dope to check out. I cannot wait. Thanks, dude!

I'm going to skydeck ledge when I go to chicago
Skydeck-58.jpg

I would probably have a nervous breakdown if I did that because apparently I'm afraid of heights. I would have never thought this about myself, nor did I know this about myself until I went up the Empire State Building and felt uneasy the entire time. The bully in me wanted to smack the scaredy cat in me.

The thin crust pizza here really is not that good, New York is much better. The best "Chicago style" Pizza is Lou Malnati's.
If he tries Lou Malnati's and Pequod's then there's no need to try anything else. You have the best of both Chicago styles of deep dish right there. There is a Pequod's in Lincoln Park.

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/

Arlington Park for some horse racing is a lot of fun. There is also a rail system from downtown.

As far as pizza:

Every restaurant that sells pizza has a sign in the front window that says “world’s best pizza.” Here’s the thing, they make an attempt to make that true. I had pizza 3 different styles while I was there and they were all really good.

Besides eating and drinking, I'd like to check out a few museums. I'm not big into baseball, but I'm thinking of going to a game just to experience Wrigley Field. I don't know, basically just do what a normal tourist would do. See the sights and such.

The Chicago Institute of Art is solid. I've been to Chicago once for work, and hit the Institute and the Giradeli's (sp?) ice cream place, had dinner at top of the one big building, there was a bar up there too. Good view. Thats all I did b/c I did not have much time off.

I am going again for work and going to stay a couple days longer with the wife and kid.

We plan to hit the Institute of Art, the Sear's tower has glass cubes you can walk in, there is a Wizard of Oz kids' park, a river boat tour of the city.

I have to plan a dinner for a bunch of work people, so if anyone knows the best ribs in Chicago, please let me know!

Whats a good ribs place in the loop?

I'd take a 30 minute drive to Three Floyds Brewery in Munster, IN if you want to go to a really good brewery. Laguinitas is a good brewery in Chicago, but Three Floyds is better IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back