Glycogen Repletion Advice

Honestly I have written so many times on it, it's a little much. Let me grab a link. I posted my last article from PM here for free for everyone to read. It is mainly for endurance based events, but we also have power requirements in our races as well. Anyways, let me find the link.

Honestly I have written so many times on it, it's a little much. Let me grab a link. I posted my last article from PM here for free for everyone to read. It is mainly for endurance based events, but we also have power requirements in our races as well. Anyways, let me find the link.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/few-random-pwo-nutrition-questions-475312/

Oldie, as in years old, but a good one. Monger will love this hahaha.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/cheat-days-work-1055196/index2.html

Page two, I posted in it's entire length. Anyways, check it, then you want to get further into it, we can. You are concerning yourself to much with it, and I would need to see complete diet and training to really peck at it. But either way.

Excellent. Thanks for the links!

I read the "cheat days work" (your article) first, and I'm not sure I disagree with anything there. I don't think you realize that I never advocated getting this quantity of carbs in within 1 or 4 or 16 hours. Just before the next workout. Even then, I noted that the glycogen repletion is augmented by protein ingestion, and the actual carb intake could probably be lowered significantly.

... where do we differ? I also eat oatmeal PWO. Oatmeal is delicious.

Only differance is you are over worrying about glycogen replenishment, and I am not. That's the main one. Look we have people that race in 6 day long races, doesn't mean that we dive that into it for every single person that comes though our door. That being said, how do you even know that glycogen is your limiting factor? A shitty day at work can fuck up your whole mindset and workout, doesn't mean that you didn't eat enough carbs. Get my drift?

Only differance is you are over worrying about glycogen replenishment, and I am not. That's the main one. Look we have people that race in 6 day long races, doesn't mean that we dive that into it for every single person that comes though our door. That being said, how do you even know that glycogen is your limiting factor? A shitty day at work can fuck up your whole mindset and workout, doesn't mean that you didn't eat enough carbs. Get my drift?

Of course! I can feel the difference between running on low glycogen and running on low motivation. For strength training, I get extremely hot, red, and sweaty. Reps are almost impossible without extremely long rest intervals, etc. For endurance, I'll be doing just fine on the stationary bike, and my mind and legs will just go.

I know I've been depleted before because I've spent extended periods of time on ultra-low-carb diets (weight loss) before I had even the slightest idea of refeeds or even glycogen. I still spend a lot of time on very-low-carb diets (an artifact from my obese days) and it's safe to say that glycogen is a reasonable worry for me. I do high volumes of strength training (M/W/F/Sa) with 700 kcal of biking for recovery on off days (T/Th/Su) and can feel a marked performance decrease around the third strength workout (depending on the volume).

But see. With that way of thought, that means no one could train hard core on a low carb diet. That simply isn't true. Nutrient timing does have some applicable aspects. Your body quitting, or reps being harder is not always glycogen dependent. If it were that simple, we could drink vendetta or gatorade through out the workout and keeping the same intensity.

Never has worked that way, never will.

But see. With that way of thought, that means no one could train hard core on a low carb diet. That simply isn't true. Nutrient timing does have some applicable aspects. Your body quitting, or reps being harder is not always glycogen dependent. If it were that simple, we could drink vendetta or gatorade through out the workout and keeping the same intensity.

That's the basis for the CKD/TKD. That's how this whole thing started -- I was reading up on the TKD (Lyle McDonald's version of it). I'm curious as to whether or not someone can actually maintain intensity on a maintenance diet with almost no carbs except for 5g for every two sets of exercise split between pre- and post-workout.

For me (I do 29-35 sets in a workout), that's about 75-90g of carbs peri-workout.

And yet again, that is splitting hairs:icon_chee It can be done, I have watched it be done. I know you are a smart guy romni, but you are skipping over some very key BASIC aspects.

I'm lovin' reading this thread guys. Thanks for all who contributed. :icon_chee

Is this really how threads used to be on this subforum? God damn.

It's a shame that I haven't seen the TS on here, but I can answer his question. The answer is yes, in theory, one could eat at maintenance and eat only enough carbs to refill muscular glycogen, but it would have to be via glucose. This is all assuming full glycogen stores to begin with, of course. Fructose gets used preferentially by the liver, and sucrose has too much fructose to be efficient. One could get that amount from sucrose, but it would double the required carbohydrate intake.

Last edited:
Back