glove dilemma

jfak

White Belt
Reaction score
i have been looking to buy some new sparring gloves, and had previously decided upon the fairtex super sparring gloves (bgv5 I believe), but on every thread that i read everyone seemed to contradict what i had previously heard, stating that they are to big, and bulky
well with that i embarked on a quest that has lead me to where i currently am, a dilemma on choosing between 3 different gloves the problem is that I am looking for a glove with a small profile, and one that is well balanced
the nominees:
Ultimate Training Gloves - Lace Cuff at Ringside.com
International Training Gloves - Hook & Loop Cuff at Ringside.com
Fairtex Super Sparring Gloves at Ringside.com

any help in veering me in the right direction will be very much appreciated
P.S.i wouldn't be buying new sparring gloves if someone in my gym wouldn't have made away with them by the way they were the title world international gel training gloves
thanks in advance

try the primetime slimline gloves or the kofightgear gloves.

I own both the Ultimate Classic training glove and the Fairtex training glove, which is a close cousin of the sparring glove.

The UC has very thick padding on the knuckles and will protect you and your sparring partner.
Thing is they are a bit big and bulky, and they have kind of a pre formed feel to em.
They are robust and made to last, but I think of them like a range rover, my winnings are like a Higher end BMW, and my Flores like a Roles Royce.

Any who, I cant really recommend muay thai style gloves for sparring now that Ive tasted true boxing gloves, but fairtex are the best of the muay thai gloves. I think if you do medium sparring MMA style then the Fairtex will be okay. If you are doing dedicated standing hard sparring I definitely recommend true boxing gloves.

Id recommend these gloves:
Winnings: The best for you and your partner protection wise, very flexible and good feeling glove.

The UC offers good protection, but suffers from the drawbacks I mentioned above. Picky I know but it will leave you better informed.

I recently tried on a velcro everlast pro training glove and I must say I liked it. I didnt really expect to, but I did. Nice fit, good padding, good all around build quality. I honestly liked it more than the UC glove and I may buy a pair.

I cant recommend Cleto Reyes gloves simply for the reason of being hard on sparring partners and perhaps your knuckles. My Boxing coach took one look at my 16oz direct from Mexico Reyes gloves and said "You can't spar with these." There went $130 down the shit tube. Build quality is impeccable and they are works of art as are my Mosby-Flores gloves, but unlike my Flores gloves, they unfortunately dont offer much protection for sparring partners. My coach's Reyes gloves seemed to be a different style then mine, mine were wider than his, and had more surface area to strike(meaning the weight was more dispersed in mine) so take my comments with a grain of salt but also keep in mind that you can find many posts on this forum and other boxing forums that cletos, even their sparring gloves are known to hit hard.

Okay, another well recognized glove I cant recommend are Grants. Reason being they are very stiff, and if you can make a fist with em, then you can easily dead lift about 800lbs. Very hard to make a fist with em and very stiff all around. I heard the fight gloves are not this way with someone who had a similar experience as I had. I sent them back for a refund.

I honestly think that you would be fine with the fairtex sparring glove(except for the size concern which I cant comment on...), its just with my money Id get something else.

Hope this helps.

First off... great post, KShaft.

Now, to the TS: jfak, if you're worried that the gloves might be too bulky for you, the best thing would be to find a store in real life that carries them and try them on for yourself to see if you're okay with the size. However, that's likely not a viable option for you (I assume, since you posted this thread), so I'd go with the Everlast pro trainings if you want something that's guaranteeed to have a slimmer profile. They cost less than than the Fairtex sparring gloves too, at $80, and I've heard good things about them.

try the primetime slimline gloves or the kofightgear gloves.
Btw, BPhenom... have you tried the Primetime slimline sparring gloves? I've read reviews of all of KOFightgear's gloves, but none yet of the Primetimes.

I can tell you that the Int'l training gloves and UC training gloves are good gloves. The UC and IMF gloves are better than the Int'ls IMO and are similar in price. If you get a sale you can get them all for $69 range.

That said, the profile of all is pretty big, especially if you are used to MT brands or some MMA brands training gloves. Of the Int'l, UC, and IMF gloves, the Int'l definitely have the biggest dimensions. That is from memory, with no measurements, but I have hundreds of rounds with the Int'ls before I bought IMF's and the Int'ls have the biggest profile I've used.

Smaller profile gloves I've sparred with do not provide adequate protection for hand/wrist/face in comparison to the IMF's and similar gloves. That's a tradeoff you'll have to make if you are training MMA and prefer a slimmer profile when working stand up.

Thanka man.

Did you get those 18ozers yet?

You mean the Cletos from Mexicanfightgear? Not yet, bro. I'm expecting them anytime this week. Postal system moves kinda slow here, so I've learned to be patient when waiting for a package. As much as I can be anyway. :D

Btw, BPhenom... have you tried the Primetime slimline sparring gloves? I've read reviews of all of KOFightgear's gloves, but none yet of the Primetimes.

when I get extra money to burn, I'll probably get a pair. Got any plans of getting anything from primetime soon?

when I get extra money to burn, I'll probably get a pair. Got any plans of getting anything from primetime soon?

Not anytime soon, I'm still kinda broke from my last order at Cageside, hehe. Maybe next month. I'm mostly interested in their MMA training gloves, the 7oz w/o thumb loop.

jfak I have the fairtex thai style training gloves which are pretty similar to the super sparring gloves that you are looking at. They are a bit wide but overall they are fantastic gloves. I have used them for very light sparring on a few occasions when someone needed a sparring partner and I did not have my sparring gloves. I usually use them for bag and pad work (i always tell my sparring partner of course that I use them for bag work)
They are very durable as anyone that uses fairtex will tell you. In my experience when going for str8 sparring gloves it is best to go with traditional boxing style gloves as opposed to muay thai. Muay thai gloves can be a bit wide and bulky for me which sometimes can affect my game. I prefer str8 boxing style gloves when sparring for some reason. I like precise shots so with slimmer gloves I can slip stuff in through my opponents guard. This might just be me though. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options.

mFairtex Thai Style Training Gloves at Ringside.com

Not anytime soon, I'm still kinda broke from my last order at Cageside, hehe. Maybe next month. I'm mostly interested in their MMA training gloves, the 7oz w/o thumb loop.

that's actually my next purchase.

I need a glove with extra padding that I can use for circuit drills since that's what we have been doing a lot lately in training

Have you tried Hayabusa sparring gloves? I have heard great things about them on this board. I know crossdx has them and did a review. The thread is here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f16/hayabusa-pro-16oz-sparring-gloves-pics-769807/

I am sure you could ask him about the fit and what not. These are probably going to be my next purchase.

Man, I'm glad I caught you before you bought those gloves based on my review. I wouldn't have felt too good about it otherwise.

I completely forgot to update my review, so my apologies. Long story short: they are good gloves, but not good sparring gloves. The padding never really softened up and the leather is very stiff. The foam is dense... much denser than typical sparring gloves ought to be. I'm actually gonna try using them for bad/padwork in the coming days to see if they make good bag gloves, because the foam density seems to lean more towards that use than sparring. I know they are marketed as "Pro Sparring gloves", but be warned now that the gloves will probably be very hard on your sparring partner if you use them for anything other than very light sparring.

Man, I'm glad I caught you before you bought those gloves based on my review. I wouldn't have felt too good about it otherwise.

I completely forgot to update my review, so my apologies. Long story short: they are good gloves, but not good sparring gloves. The padding never really softened up and the leather is very stiff. The foam is dense... much denser than typical sparring gloves ought to be. I'm actually gonna try using them for bad/padwork in the coming days to see if they make good bag gloves, because the foam density seems to lean more towards that use than sparring. I know they are marketed as "Pro Sparring gloves", but be warned now that the gloves will probably be very hard on your sparring partner if you use them for anything other than very light sparring.

I already bought them!! you SOB!!!

Nah good looking out. Man I had done my research and finally settled on these gloves after about a month of going back and forth (i am anal when it comes to gear). Now I have to start all over!

I already bought them!! you SOB!!!

Nah good looking out. Man I had done my research and finally settled on these gloves after about a month of going back and forth (i am anal when it comes to gear). Now I have to start all over!

Better to learn late than never, dude! :icon_chee

Besides, I think only two guys bothered to make reviews on those gloves, me and that guy who posted the first review. My friend bought me those gloves based on his reveiw, so he was the one who got suckered!!! LOL

I'll update my review so no one else gets a wrong impression.

thank u guys so much especially ksaft that was a great post, i actually felt like i owned winnings for a moment there. so thanks to ksaft i have narrowed it down to the Everlast pros and the ultimates
so now i have few more questions regarding the glove I hope it's not a bother.
First off after doing some research on the everlasts there were people on this forum that had a distaste with the everlast pros stating the foam was bit hard for sparring and that apparently the velcro closure deteriorated rapidly and the poster had to resort to duct tape, which suks. so my question is the foam that hard, that sparring becomes a less viable option? and does the Velcro suk that bad?
A further question this one regarding the ultimates, is the glove really bulky, or not so much as to dissuade me from getting through my opponents guard?
Thank u guys i know this must be a pain in the ass, seeing thirty posts regarding the same subject, so really thank u guys for your input

thank u guys so much especially ksaft that was a great post, i actually felt like i owned winnings for a moment there. so thanks to ksaft i have narrowed it down to the Everlast pros and the ultimates
so now i have few more questions regarding the glove I hope it's not a bother.
First off after doing some research on the everlasts there were people on this forum that had a distaste with the everlast pros stating the foam was bit hard for sparring and that apparently the velcro closure deteriorated rapidly and the poster had to resort to duct tape, which suks. so my question is the foam that hard, that sparring becomes a less viable option? and does the Velcro suk that bad?
A further question this one regarding the ultimates, is the glove really bulky, or not so much as to dissuade me from getting through my opponents guard?
Thank u guys i know this must be a pain in the ass, seeing thirty posts regarding the same subject, so really thank u guys for your input

First off, the everlast they mentioned are almost assuredly NOT the Pro training glove. It was probably one of the cheaper models, but if it was a pro model then it was probably a lemon or just an abused pair.

The glove being more compact means that bulk of the weight is in the fist area with more padding, rather than a huge cuff which adds to the weight without contributing the the padding. The glove I tried on (I know barely a test drive let a lone a long trial period) was flexible and it felt well padded. From my experience with other top of the line gloves, my short impression of the everlast was that it was good. I would buy it If I needed a new pair of sparring gloves, and maybe even their bag glove which was supposedly designed by orthopedic surgeons, but I have no direct experience with them.
On the elastic cuff, I really liked it. It was my first experience with an elastic cuff as every other glove with velcro Ive owned used had a leather strap. The leather strap may look nicer, but the elastic strap fit very snug, a much better solution.
I would recommend lace up gloves anyway, which negates the issue listed previously. Yeah they are a pain, but these are sparring gloves, meaning youve at least got two people, and more than likely more than that meaning someone can lace you up and give you the wrist support and snug fit that only laces can bring. Im thinking of getting another pair of winnings, same size as my velcro ones, just to get lace ups.

The UC's are a bit big, as I explained in my previous post. You talk about going through your opponents guard, man your sparring; not plowing through your sparring partner. Yeah every once in a while you gotta go past hard, but sparring is a learning tool. Dont power through your partner, go around, over or under. Use technique. Create openings through strategy. Power through when your in a real fight (or match) when you are wearing 10 or 8 oz gloves if it is a viable option.
On the other end of the stick, they may create a false sense of security due to the fact you have huge gloves to defend yourself with against the oncoming barrage of punches. Everlasts arent so big and will force you to work your defense better.

Id suggest you go find a sports store (like Dicks) that carries the PRO training Everlast gloves. If I can find em in Ohio, you can find em in Texas! Try em on and go from there.
Also ringside has an excellent return policy, so dont worry about buying from that very good company.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I have some Shevlin Boxing gloves on the way in two or three weeks. I might do a comparitive review between my Mosby-Flores, Winnings, UC gloves, and the Shevlin gloves (and anything else I pick up between that time). If the Shevlin gloves do well I may not have to pick up another pair of Winnings as these will be for the pad/bag.

KShaft, I am very much looking forward to that comparative review. If you could also do one for your Winning headgear, that'd be awesome.

Btw, you mentioned your coach's reaction to the Cletos you bought. Since you can't spar with them, are you going to be using them for bag and padwork? That's what I'm going to be using my Reyes gloves for primarily, when I get them.

thanks again for the insight, i guess i will go check them out at a Dicks sporting goods store, which i had no idea they carried the pro line

I already bought them!! you SadlyOverweightBamboozler!!!

Btw, Shogun Surrounded by Eights, I updated my review again on those gloves. If you're gonna be using them as training gloves (i.e. bag/pad/mitt work and light sparring), then I think you'll be okay with them. Just don't punch anyone hard in the nose with them or they'll hate you. :)

Back