Give Chael a break for moving up to heavyweight

Bodyfat percentages are not everything. Fedor has always looked chubby. It's just his bodytype and genetics. Like Igor Vovchanchin. Josh Barnett always looked fat, but was in good shape for most of his career.

Fedor fought at the weight he has been consistently fighting at, and the weight he feels most comfortable. Sure he could probably cut down to LHW, but he stays at HW because that is where he feels comfortable.

Chael fought at a weight he does not normally fight at. I watched all the behind the scenes stuff. Chael tried hard to gain mass the right way. He said eating a lot was actually a struggle when he was also trying to keep good cardio at the same time.

This affected GSP too. GSP said he just didn't feel right at 185. He said he couldn't move as well, and just felt clumsy compared to fighting at 170. And GSP has far superior genetics to Chael.

Chael is an average sized MW...hell I'd argue below average by today's standard of monster 215 to 220 plus guys cutting to 185.

Just like Conor McGregor has no business at 170. I still give Conor credit for stepping up and fighting Nate Diaz...a guy with the body type more suited for 170 than Conor who is only 5 ft 9.

I think Chael and Conor are both in similar situations in that the weight cut for their appropriate weight class drains them a lot, whereas some guys seem totally unaffected by huge weight cuts (like Khabib, who is actually bigger than GSP, unless GSP is lying to us).
DC is about 5’9 1/2” and fights at 246
Chael's a tough SoB but he's just too small for HW. I was shocked to see Fedor ragdoll him like that o_O;

Moving to HW when you've spent 90% of your career at MW is a ballsy move but maybe not the smartest.
Chael is bigger than Fedor. Make them both equal body fat percentages and then see who weighs more. Fedor was much chubbier than Chael yet only weighed 9 pounds more.

Chael is bigger than Fedor. Make them both equal body fat percentages and then see who weighs more. Fedor was much chubbier than Chael yet only weighed 9 pounds more.

Jon Jones is bigger than Roy Nelson. Make them both equal body fat percentages and see who weighs more.

Alexander Gustaffson is bigger than Mark Hunt. Make them both equal body fat percentages and see who weighs more.

Chris Weidman is bigger than Fedor. Make them both equal body fat percentages and see who weighs more.

Do you really not see the lack of logic displayed here?

You act as if the human body is only made out of muscle mass and bones and nothing else matters when comparing size.

I used to be weigh a lot more when I was younger, much higher body fat percentage. Still, I had a huge wrestling advantage over smaller, but taller guys who weighed a lot less but had lower bodyfat % than me. I dominated them.

I got in much better shape, shed a lot of lbs...you know what? I may be healthier and have better conditioning....but that huge weight advantage is gone now. I wouldn't be able to dominate those guys in wrestling anymore because now we are similar in size and their technique is far better than mine

I thought it was an entertaining fight. Both guys showed skill even if Fedor was clearly better.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Jon Jones is bigger than Roy Nelson. Make them both equal body fat percentages and see who weighs more.

Alexander Gustaffson is bigger than Mark Hunt. Make them both equal body fat percentages and see who weighs more.

Chris Weidman is bigger than Fedor. Make them both equal body fat percentages and see who weighs more.

Do you really not see the lack of logic displayed here?

You act as if the human body is only made out of muscle mass and bones and nothing else matters when comparing size.

I used to be weigh a lot more when I was younger, much higher body fat percentage. Still, I had a huge wrestling advantage over smaller, but taller guys who weighed a lot less but had lower bodyfat % than me. I dominated them.

I got in much better shape, shed a lot of lbs...you know what? I may be healthier and have better conditioning....but that huge weight advantage is gone now. I wouldn't be able to dominate those guys in wrestling anymore because now we are similar in size and their technique is far better than mine
Height is one aspect of size; it does factor into a person’s size along with length and width.

Chael is not bigger than Fedor, Fedor has a much wider frame and thicker legs. He may posses a bit more fat but his overall body structure is much more dense than Chael.

Dan Miller fight - Dan Miller was a tough fighter at the time, not top 5 or anything, but no joke either

Yushin Okami fight - ragdolled Yushin Okami with wrestling when no one else at the time could

Dominating Nate Marquardt fight (back when Nate was a top 5 MW)

First Anderson fight, even though he lost, was a hell of an entertaining fight

Brian Stann Fight, made quick work of Brian Stann

The Silva and Rampage fights were wrestling clinics, they were not that exciting, but they were not snooze fests either.

Chael has had plenty of entertaining fights throughout his career.

And you didn't even mention his two fights with Paulo Fiho:
  • Fight 1: He invented the scream-tap. A classic.
  • Fight 2: He beat Paulo and the ghost he was talking to.

Chael is not bigger than Fedor, Fedor has a much wider frame and thicker legs. He may posses a bit more fat but his overall body structure is much more dense than Chael.
Maybe. In terms of frame size, Chael looks to have thicker wrists. Fedor is definitely wider and denser, but how much of that is fat?

Youre right. Fedor's just more athletic. He has more explosive muscle fibers like a Kevin Randleman does. It makes him a lot stronger despite being smaller. That combined with weighing more, even if fat, kind of replicates actually being bigger.

Except Fedor has trained with HW and fought his entire life at HW. He has the strenght of a HW while Chael is just a puffed up MW. You could clearly see the power and strenght difference last saturday.

Back