GIF Avatars are now working (Upgrade Update)

Forum Admin here,

As stated by the mods, the move was long overdue and needed to happen. The Xenforo version this site was running on was not viable anymore, the addons started to deprecate and support in the backend was not optimal. We had to move up to a newer version of Xenforo which means a huge jump in functionality, templates and features than what we are all used to. Same for the server updates, we decided to move to Xenforo Cloud for better back end support and functionality in the long run (you all experienced the search issues we constantly had due to our old elasticsearch/AWS setup)

This is still a work in progress and a learning curve. This is a very large site with varied nuances, and we are working closely with the Sherdog team to address concerns and issues. We are a very small tech team working on the site, so we appreciate the patience.

Thanks,
Hey @giovanni_ss

I added this to the OP so more eyes can see it...

Tech is doing an amazing job... and I would imagine Sherdog isn't the easiest site to update... seeing as how posts go back as far as the dial-up internet days..

Forum Admin here,

As stated by the mods, the move was long overdue and needed to happen. The Xenforo version this site was running on was not viable anymore, the addons started to deprecate and support in the backend was not optimal. We had to move up to a newer version of Xenforo which means a huge jump in functionality, templates and features than what we are all used to. Same for the server updates, we decided to move to Xenforo Cloud for better back end support and functionality in the long run (you all experienced the search issues we constantly had due to our old elasticsearch/AWS setup)

This is still a work in progress and a learning curve. This is a very large site with varied nuances, and we are working closely with the Sherdog team to address concerns and issues. We are a very small tech team working on the site, so we appreciate the patience.

Thanks,

Hello there, from my perspective it is understandable to want to update since the old version was outdated, broken and not supported anymore.

I will get used to the new stuff even if I don't necessary like it, for example the similar threads area down on the page, or this new system of confirmation for likes not exactly choices I will have made.

Yet what really is making things hard in the actual practical usage of the forum is the size of the font used in posts, notices that my join date and messages count is actually almost twice the size of my actual current post and at the end of the day the most important thing this place offers are the posts that each of us make.. the easy reading of this site should be the highest priority next to actual forum stability side of things. This goes for the desktop users (me and other old farts around here) and mobile users (dang this kids).

Bonus maybe even create a separate theme where you can replace the black color with the gray color basically just swapping the background of the windows. Easier on the eyes like we just had weeks ago:
Old forum colors contrast.png

Now thanks and good job overall, a week or so downtime overall is nothing in the grand scheme of things if it ensures future stability and modern forum tools. Looking forward to more updates from you and your team.

Last edited:
I never looked better...;)

godzilla-kong.gif

godzilla-vs-kong-icegif.gif

It's not bragging. It's informing the guys who have GIF AVs coz as a GIF AV enthusiast myself, my intention was to inform the same people that the feature is back.

I do appreciate the honest feedback and letting things off your chest. Again, I understand the frustrations. Don't worry though coz we believe in a thing called "the change curve". We don't expect to get things back to where it was right after a major and significant change. It's all good. Have a nice day.
Nice day to you as well.

I do sincerely wish you luck in getting this place to the best possible functioning level.

TO THE TOP

For the Sherbros who might have missed this

Reactions: Oku
I hear the frustrations. But the site wasn't perfectly fine. It was broken. The old version is obsolete and is starting to bug out and cause problems. We need to upgrade to maintain operability of the site. You've been here for 10 years. An upgrade was made in 2015, 2016, 2019, and each time the majority have sung the same song over and over. "This is the worst upgrade ever, Sherdog is dead, I'm done with this site, etc". This isn't your first rodeo. We all know change is difficult. But in time everyone will forget about the old design and all of us will eventually move forward, and until then there will be another upgrade on the horizon. Don't you think you're taking things a little bit too serious on an old school style karate forum?

Yup it's a "life cycle" thing. Course if yer like me ferreting out and making shit my own is 2nd nature.

Jus Doooooeeeeetttttt!!!

<RomeroSalute>

Damn kids and your new fangled gif avs. What next, thread theme songs like myspace had for profiles?

Reactions: Gio
Back