GGG vs. Canelo, Who Won?

Who won the fight?

• Gennady Golovkin

• Canelo Alvarez

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.
Unfortunately, one judge ruined it all. That is a story, no matter how you slice it.

It kills a heap of the enjoyment and buzz around the fight.
I agree with what sinister had to say about it, but I understand people not feeling the same way.

joe rogan reacts
fD6Zono.gif
Epilepsy spoiler next time?

Judges are not bought that easily in mma. And there is some over sight in mma. Boxing is corrupt as hell
Remind me who scored the Guillard Varner fight with a hilariously shit scorecard. Was that corrupt as hell?

I think he made adjustments in tempo. I think it was at the 4th round he stepped on the gas and made Canelo really uncomfortable in those middle rounds. He was good about forcing the action when Saul wanted to break. But I agree, he doesn’t change up god tactics too much.

He took 3-4 rounds to see how things went and test his power. After he took 1-2 shots, and realized that not only could Canelo not hurt him, but that he was losing steam, and could see he was moving left. He stepped up the gas, and outside of 10-30 seconds here or there, he continued to pick up the pace and improve his accuracy and activity.

I agree with what sinister had to say about it, but I understand people not feeling the same way.

What did sinister say? There are a number of threads, and has been hard to follow it all. I don't see him post ever, but he knows what's up.

As Tam said, a draw is kind of questionable, but I would have been OK with it. As he said, the one score card killed the buzz of a major fight.

I had it 8-4, but said there were some questionable rounds. If you gave Canelo every benefit of the doubt, you get a draw. So that is enough of a stretch, but that one score card just ruins everything.

Just here on sherdog, it is pretty much 6 to 1 for GGG. Every single pro fighter that has commented, has said GGG won.

Just frustrating.

and i assume shes gonna get away with it like always.

almeida andrade whatever the fuck her name is deserves a bitch slap and a kick in the pussy for ruining a GREAT night of boxing. everything was perfect until some dickhead judge fucks it up then u gotta hear on the media about how fucked up boxing is internally

Last edited:
the sad part is that as i was watching a great fight, I was thinking "GGG is winning this thing but I don't know if he has enough of a buffer to make up for the judges being against him"

and then...

when the first score was read I thought "118-110. Wow. Ok. GGG has one in the bank". then...

it is sad for the sport. I feel bad for GGG but it was a close fight and I hope that they fight again. even if GGG had received an outright victory, a re-match would be the optimal outcome

the 118-110 scorecard is more incompetence than corruption IMO. Nobody wants corruption to look so obvious. the key is to just shade a couple of rounds. I think it was just a terrible scorecard and that judge should be removed from high-profile fights until she shows that she can still do the job. of course, that won't happen

You make some valid points. But you cant ignore how judging can be and is compromised in the boxing world. Although the decision (Draw) could be viewed as the "right" decision. A judge scoring 118-112 is preposterous. You just don't see such insensible scoring by a judge in the UFC,.
Cecil Peoples would like a word....MMA has plenty of its own straight up garbage, fight defining score cards.

Does that mean he wasnt watching the UFC event? <45>

I have not tried it myself, but i guess is not that hard to have two tv´s for two fights on the same night, not sure if the main events were right at the same time, Luke didnt took that long.

Close fight, im ok with it being a draw on how close it was, i had it Canelo by 2 points, just like the other card for GGG, local tv scorecard had Canelo by 4....but 118-110 it was something else.

The way I see it...I can understand why some would consider Canelo Álvarez winning more rounds. I looked at the fight from two diffrenr points of view. Not everyone has the same judging criteria. Some will consider GGG pushing the pace and throwing more punches as a sign of aggressive offense and some like that in a fighter that appears to be in charge and then some will care only about the punches GGG missed. Even according to Compubox he missed a lot more than in any other fight hes had. Canelo Alvarez landed 42% of his power shots. GGG landed 32% of his power punches, and SOME PEOPLE actually ignore jabs that can rarely cause significant damage unless its in high volume and domination. GGG did not dominate. Many people concentrate on the power shots as those are the punches that will/ can decide the outcome of a fight if one power shot hits the chin of the other guy just right. SO that being said everyone judges differently. I put my money on Canelo to win. I was rooting for Canelo to win, and I seen GGG taking control and Alvarez picking his shots but had a poor game plan. The fight would not have been a draw if the judge with 118-110 wasnt on drugs and I am convinced she had her decision made up before the fight started. The rematch is on the way.

But in my opinion GGG won. I can see others POV though if they scored for Canelo.

Last edited:
This isn't amateur boxing. A guy just can't just land a bunch of jabs to get points. GGG landed jabs but what matters is what he does with those jabs. I didn't see him in control or using it to set up shots, albeit he tried. I think Canelo did a better job of using his jab to time GGG and break his rhythm.

I had Canelo narrowly winning, but wouldn't have complained had GGG won. The people calling robbery clearly have no fucking clue what an actually robbery looks like. This was a close fight.

I had Canelo narrowly winning, but wouldn't have complained had GGG won. The people calling robbery clearly have no fucking clue what an actually robbery looks like. This was a close fight.
I believe the majority of people score fights for the aggressor regardless of any context to the fight.

Whoever had it 118-110 for Canelo needs to be shot, by the way.
It was a female lol . I was at the fight and had ggg easily winning by 4 rounds .. disgusting decision.. even the Mexican people where like wtf ggg won that fight

The guy that scored it a draw should be shot, too. GGG won.

That was a great fight and I thought GGG took it marginally. But geezus 118-110. I hate that about boxing.

Back