Getting stuck in guard fighting other w/belts

Chinawhitebelt

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I notice when I roll I often get into a battle of wills holding an opponent in guard or getting stuck in guard. This happens with similar skilled whitel belts. A higher belt told me I shouldn't get stuck like this any advice here?

Usually you need a bunch of moves you're good at and use all the time.

He's right, but it's useless advice, sort of like "flow more" or "get good." If you don't know how to get unstuck, it's pointless.

Try to learn 3 sweeps and 3 submissions from guard and 3 side mount escapes, then try them all the time. Don't worry about having your guard passed on the attempt. Use the guard pass as a chance to practice side mount escapes. Go for shit and you'll get better.

Last edited:
I notice when I roll I often get into a battle of wills holding an opponent in guard or getting stuck in guard. This happens with similar skilled whitel belts. A higher belt told me I shouldn't get stuck like this any advice here?

Actually that is normal

Saying you shouldn't get stuck there is both good and awful advice. Yes you shouldn't get stuck there, but you're going to at every belt level when going against equal skill.

Unless he was referring to you holding them in guard instead of passing, in which case he is 100% correct. Stand up and pass that guard!

I get asked this question a lot from newer people. 99% of the time, I end up explaining that you need to be comfortable with a standing guard break, as most of the time the person is staying on their knees.

Low guard breaks are fine, but sometimes you need a standing guard break to get the roll going.

When on top of closed guard always use this:

Gah, thank you. I've been trying to find this clip for years and Google has been failing me.

Standing guard breaks are the first and only tool you'll need to deal with closed guard. Guys will still be dangerous but nothing works better than this, even situationally.

Gah, thank you. I've been trying to find this clip for years and Google has been failing me.

Standing guard breaks are the first and only tool you'll need to deal with closed guard. Guys will still be dangerous but nothing works better than this, even situationally.

This is definitely a good video. For all the different standing guard breaks, there are definitely some common themes regarding posture, control, which leg goes up first etc.

Back