Getting into MMA through Boxing

SocialJusticeFighter

Double Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
I'm joining a boxing gym and training boxing right now. I want to compete in MMA but there is no affordable/good MMA gym in my area so I'm settling with a boxing gym. I'm an adult with no martial arts experience so I'm wondering if I learn boxing will this be a great help for me getting into MMA later, or is it already to late for me to get into MMA with the hope of competing at an amateur level? (College graduate age, good physical shape but never competed in any sports).

I read that the days of starting MMA with one base are kind of over, and that it's best to just go to a MMA gym if you want to compete MMA. Unfortunately this isn't really a option for me and I'm going to have to go art by art. Starting with boxing and in a few months I will try to pick up some Jiu Jitsu. What are your guys thoughts on this strategy? Is there hope for me? Can this work out?

Any tips? Whats the best way for someone with no experience to get into combat sports?

What other options do you have then boxing?
Most MMA gyms are very reasonable and can work out some type of deal... ie. You clean the gym for cheaper membership.

I would definitely not recommend starting boxing for someone like you. Starting in an MMA gym where you can take 2-3 classes a day consisting of different arts is where its at.

Its not too late either, I train with a debuting pro who starting training at age 24. Hes 28 now but he was very active over the years with 12 amateur mma and a couple bjj/boxing/kickboxing fights. He started with MMA

One thing I dont understand is how you plan on going to bjj after boxing when bjj is just as expensive as mma gyms.
It really all depends on how much you want it. If you really want to fast track your fight career, dont be shy and just try to talk to the MMA gym owner for some type of deal.

P.s. Your av and description makes me very discouraged on your chances of making it as a good fighter.

Last edited:
The days of fighters starting MMA with one base art is far from over. However unless you're already experienced with training and blending multiple styles, training art by art is not going to be easy. I've been involved in MMA for over 10 years and am currently training art by art, and it gets frustrating sometimes.

If art by art is your only option i would highly recommend finding an overall MMA mentor/coach that can help you piece everything together and help you decide what techniques from each art are most beneficial for what you are trying to accomplish in the cage. Even if this means traveling once a month or whatever to a one stop shop "MMA gym"

Back