Getting good control of your hips? Tips?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Is it a matter of sheer repetition on the pads and bags is that all there is to it?

Boy my hips are as stubborn as a mule!

I have them down for my round kicks and boxing punches but I don't have as reliable control as I want. (its been years)

Any tips to get really good control of your hips?

My instructions from my teacher were for a kick turn your leg over and for a punch twist the foot, the rest is him shouting at me encouraging words on the bag/pads when I do a good one. That's my training and instruction. Is it all hard work and repetition from there or are there ways to make it easier/faster?

I noticed many pro boxers can only hit with power on one side and they train all day everyday from childhood, so I know im not the only one having trouble

That's pretty lackluster instruction.

The best exercise to get a feel for it is slow shadowboxing. Your hips are literally the connection between your lower body and your upper body. Try to feel that link in all your movements.

1. Learn what the anatomy of your muscles and connective tissues are so you understand how the body wants to move and can focus more specifically on certain things when you learn technique.

2. Train for quality reps. Don't just say "I'm gonna bang out X amount of kicks on the bag". Take your time in between every single kick to reset rhythmically and kick with perfect form. When you practice like this, you will made conscious adjustments and your body will automatically correct the form to make the movement more efficient for itself.

1. Learn what the anatomy of your muscles and connective tissues are so you understand how the body wants to move and can focus more specifically on certain things when you learn technique.

2. Train for quality reps. Don't just say "I'm gonna bang out X amount of kicks on the bag". Take your time in between every single kick to reset rhythmically and kick with perfect form. When you practice like this, you will made conscious adjustments and your body will automatically correct the form to make the movement more efficient for itself.
Thank you for this. Very informative.

Yeah, slow quality reps to pinpoint your mechanics.

It takes a good coach to really analyze your posture, because a lot of the time good form is counter intuitive.

Like, you feel like you're doing it wrong when it's right till you get use to the new mechanics.

Honestly I'd find some old timer boxing/striking coach with full contact experience at a high level...Probably not MMA since it's so young...and train with them...It'll take getting picked apart critically by the guy, but the results will get you what you're looking for in your post.

Thank you for this. Very informative.

You're welcome. PS, look up what muscles the thoracolumbar fascia is connected to and how it works, and you'll basically understand how the body wants/should move for the most part.

Back