Getting back into gaming

Rob Battisti

HR for HR
@Steel
Reaction score
I’m an old man.

I haven’t played video games in over 20 years.

My nephew likes Xbox so I wanted to play with him a bit and picked up an Xbox One.

It was loaded with the Gears of War games which I played GoW3.

It’s wild getting back into it. I thought the game was so dense visually I couldn’t even see what the hell I was doing or shooting at.

Anyway, I want to get back into gaming and don’t know where to start.

Any suggestions?

I’m an old man.

My nephew likes Xbox so I wanted to play with him a bit and picked up an Xbox One.

It’s wild getting back into it. I thought the game was so dense visually I couldn’t even see what the hell I was doing or shooting at.

Any suggestions?

Seeing as you have an Xbox, look into a Gamepass Subscription, Has loads of the Microsoft first party stuff (with more being added due to the Activision purchase) as well as loads of other publishers titles too

I did see that.

Do you just download games now?

Game pass has downloads or streaming available, for titles already released if available you can still buy physical copies but Microsoft is phasing them out, you can still also buy digital copies to "keep" instead of going the game pass route

Any suggestions?

Since you'll get Gamepass, these are my recommendations -

*Halo 1, 3, Reach, & Infinite. They play at 4K/120FPS
*Mass Effect Legendary Edition - Entire trilogy with all DLCs. 4K/120FPS.
*Wreckfest - The most fun racing game I've ever played.
*Doom 2016 - The most awesome shooter of the last 20 years.
*TMNT Shredder's Revenge - Old School Beat-Em-Up, but updated to be awesome by today's standards.

And one that's NOT on Gamepass, but very much worth the price to download - The Witcher 3. Its the absolute best game that was released last decade, in 2015, and nine years later its even better with a recent optimization for modern consoles... so its very smooth @60FPS.

Be sure to get the 'Game Of The Year' edition for a few extra bucks, because the two expansions are absolutely worth it. One of which is considered to be the GOAT expansion.

@Rob Battisti

Forgot one, because it was only added to Gamepass recently.

OIP.u_yaym_iRmlTpvvaap41AQHaEK

Dead Space

Don't look up trailers or reviews... this is all you need to know -

It's not only the GOAT horror game, its the GOAT horror experience.

Go into it completely blind, not knowing anything.
Trust me.

Edit - The 2023 version, optimized for modern consoles. Not the 2008 version.

I did see that.

Do you just download games now?
Get a projector and a screen its alot more fun playing on a huge screen. I play Batman and Spiderman games. You can pretty much walk around and do everything like a movie or something. New games arent like donkey kong and pacman.

I’m an old man.

Any suggestions?

How old are you? If you don't mind me asking?

Here's a list of games you can check out, that's highly rated on IMDB.

Last edited:
If your fast twitch skillset has diminished and you can't compete with crack monkey 15-year-olds playing an FPS get a good RPG.
Poster above suggested The Witcher 3. A fantastic, deep, and beautiful game. There are parts of combat in the game that you need to be able to push the correct button at the specific time, but the game is so much more than that.
For me, also an old one, Baulders Gate 3 is pure fun. The turned based combat levels the playing field and you can contemplate your next move as long as you want.

By the way, all of the GoW are optimized for the modern XBox consoles. (Optimized means they've been updated to give older games modern standards for resolution & FPS)

I haven't played the GoW games past the original, but I hear 2&3 are quality, and 4&5 are a mixed bag. (Anyone feel free to correct me, or be more specific)

But I do absolutely recommend for you to try 'Gears Tactics,' which is a great Tactical-CRPG within the GoW world.

OIP.Z15kzUw1jNs1T4OTqyRSbAHaEK

CRPGs are an acquired taste, one I've only acquired over the last few years, and I'd say Gears Tactics is the absolute best 1st-time CRPG for new comers.

If you ever try it and like it, ask me which other tactical-CRPGs to give a shot.

If you get game pass PLEASE play Loop Hero

The best part of me gaming in my 40s is I play a lot of interesting niche games as almost palette cleansers from big deal games. I'd really recommend that approach as you'll find you're open to a lot of interesting mechanics and brain puzzles.

I know this sounds funny, but like — what are some “fun” games? Like what is less immersive but still fun?
Hmmmm... of my recommendations the easiest to 'pick up & play' is Wreckfest.
Typical driving controls. Left stick is for steering. Left trigger is the brake. Right trigger is the acceleration. You'll pick up everything else by playing it.

TMNT Shredders Revenge is the same principle - easy to pick up & play, and you learn more as you play it.

That's a part of the fun of those games.

If you played FPS games on consoles back in early 2000s, Halo & Doom will come back to you very quickly. FPS controls actually haven't changed much. They're actually quite similar to GoW's controls except they're not in 3rd person, and GoW is a cover-based shooter.

Dead Space is also a 3rd person 'shooter' although its a horror/action game. Not much of a leap going from GoW to Dead Space.

Mass Effect trilogy is a 3rd person cover-based action/shooter with RPG mechanics... similar controls to GoW.

Of my recommendations, Gears Tactics and Witcher 3 have the steepest learning curves because they're the most different from the others. I'd say Tactics eases new players into the games systems and difficulty gradually.

Witcher 3's systems are... well to be completely honest I think learning the game's systems can be a bit rough.... but its 1000% worth it.
That's coming from somebody who's completed the entirety of the game + 2 expansions a total of 6 times, which takes about 50-ish hours to do each time.
Again, its the absolute best single game in the last 20 years, at least.
You've heard of 'The Witcher' Netflix series, right? Well, Witcher 3's success inspired that series to be made, and its based on the books.
[knowing anything about the Witcher lore (books, TV series, & games) is not required to enjoy Witcher3 to its fullest. You won't be missing out on much and there's relatively few references to the books, series, & games).

Got another recommendation, especially if your son is too old for TMNT -

Streets of Rage 4. Its also on Gamepass.
If you played any of the first 3 on Sega Genesis back in the 90s, it'll need little introduction.
Can't imagine having more fun playing a game with my dad than this, if you have 2 controllers... and if you don't don't be a cheap skate and go get a 2nd one to play this awesomeness with your son.

Although the first 3 Street of Rage games came out in the 90s, the 4th game was released a few years ago after a 25+ year layoff... and it was a great return of a classic franchise to modern standards of gaming.

Back