Georges St-Pierre Film Study Part 1 - Striking Tactics

Nice video. But it also reminds me how boring his striking was the later years.

If you want to study GSP to learn striking, it would be a wise idea to already have incredible wrestling and strength attributes like he does or you're gon get starched

Chapter 1. Spam the ill advised leaping jab

Chapter 2. Lead with your face

Chapter 3. Lean forward over your front foot

Chapter 4. Position and posture yourself to be unable to use your right hand

Chapter 5. Only use your left arm but don't learn a decent hook

Chapter 6. Use your wrestling to dive into the other guy when your stuff doesn't dominate him

Chapter 7. Have an iron chin like few have ever seen

---

Honestly, GSP's striking worked for him because it served as a mere setup to ensnare you into his wrestling, which was his real talent, and where his domination came from. It was full of horrible habits (not all which have been listed above, I didn't have the time) that were mitigated by his basically unmatched MMA wrestling game.

If you still want to learn striking from GSP no one can stop you (while you're at it, might as well study him to learn submissions), but it would be a lot smarter to study his wrestling.

Roy Jones was one of the best boxers of his time, but he's not a recommended person to learn boxing from studying, because it was his rare unmatched athleticism (hmmmm...) and not his solid technique that he relied on. Once he became mortal like the rest of us, things quickly fell apart for Roy.

But it would still be a lot smarter to study Roy Jones to learn boxing than GSP. SMH

Last edited:
Good video, I think its an excellent starting point for someone getting into MMA to better understand the applicability of the jab and feints.

If you want to study GSP to learn striking, it would be a wise idea to already have incredible wrestling and strength attributes like he does or you're gon get starched

Chapter 6. Use your wrestling to dive into the other guy when your stuff doesn't dominate him

---

Honestly, GSP's striking worked for him because it served as a mere setup to ensnare you into his wrestling, which was his real talent, and where his domination came from. It was full of horrible habits (not all which have been listed above, I didn't have the time) that were mitigated by his basically unmatched MMA wrestling game.

If you still want to learn striking from GSP no one can stop you (while you're at it, might as well study him to learn submissions), but it would be a lot smarter to study his wrestling.

Roy Jones was one of the best boxers of his time, but he's not a recommended person to learn boxing from studying, because it was his rare unmatched athleticism (hmmmm...) and not his solid technique that he relied on. Once he became mortal like the rest of us, things quickly fell apart for Roy.

But it would still be a lot smarter to study Roy Jones to learn boxing than GSP. SMH

I see what you are trying to say, GSP does have flaw in his form as WE ALL DO. To say because someone has flaws in their form you CANT learn from them just isnt true. Small errors aside a lot can be learned from this video.

---

Kind of harsh considering he put a ton of time and effort into his video, but I can understand where you are coming from.
His ability to cover distance and threaten with his wrestling was really his bread and butter. Never really committing with anything devastating striking wise. His athleticism was godly.

You got to give credit to GSP because jabbing in MMA is super hard to do. Definition of a point fighter though

Yeah I don't mean anything against you, TS, I'm glad you made the video. It's well made, interesting, good content for the most part.

I was just worried that beginners would try to mimic GSP's specifiic movement/strategy, which would end predictably in them getting embarrassed (or worse). Had to put out a warning/disclaimer.

It must seem really rude for me to just throw all that out there but the topic of GSP as a specimen suitable for boxing study had already been an ongoing sore spot and I just dumped everything I had been thinking the last couple years into one abrupt post, lol. Nothing against you, you seem cool.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't mean anything against you, TS, I'm glad you made the video. It's well made, interesting, good content for the most part.

I was just worried that beginners would try to mimic GSP's specifiic movement/strategy, which would end predictably in them getting embarrassed (or worse). Had to put out a warning/disclaimer.

It must seem really rude for me to just throw all that out there but the topic of GSP as a specimen suitable for boxing study had already been an ongoing sore spot and I just dumped everything I had been thinking the last couple years into one abrupt post, lol. Nothing against you, you seem cool.

Haha, no worries. I agree that studying GSP to develop a boxing game is woefully insufficient, but this is intended as a breakdown of his style more than holding him up as a paragon of boxing technique. The next video will be going over his weaknesses and how guys have exploited them, then I'll go on to his wrestling and top game which is where the real depth of his skill is found.

Awesome video! Can't wait to see the follow up

Back