Gastelum could become champ but I can't see him as a long-term champ

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Like Luke Rockhold, he has some good skills and can beat basically anyone but his chin is a liability.

Kelvin is a good striker but is really undersized for MW and doesn't have great wrestling, and it's not like he's jacked or anything.
He can put anyone's lights out but can you actually picture him defending TDs and not getting mauled by beasts like Jacare or Romeo. Hell, even Rockhold could take him down and once he does we all know how it goes unless your name is Jacare or Werdum.

I really like the guy, I'm a fan and I want him to be successful but I think staying at MW could very well spoil his career and turn him into that top 10-15 guy with good power that can take you out but is, at the same time, a winnable fight for many.
Instead, if he went down, I think he'd have a very successful career and I see him becoming champ and defending a few times.

Lots of guys could've beaten Bisping, especially on three week notice after being finished. Dont think he should get a ton of hype for it.

Yes he's good but I don't see him wearig gold at 185 and there's no reason to think he is serious about getting his weight under control. He has mediocre at best wrestling and it isnt just a size issue, Neil took him down a bunch of times too.

Could maybe see him as a WW champ if he got his burrito problem under control but that is doubtful.

At 185 he is a dangerous gate keeper. He has an insurmountable size disadvantage when it comes to wrestlers in the division.

Gastelums left hand is like a fucking Bazooka really. He's shown some weaknesses but he's got the firepower. It's hard not to enjoy watching Kelvin fight to be honest. I see both the Weidmann rematch and Rockhold being tough match ups for him, that being said if he catches them he will switch there lights off.

His size disadvantage will always come back to bite him in the ass.

All he needs to do is figure out how to cut to 170.

Kelvins biggest threat will always be himself in my opinion. I could easily see him getting too reliant on his hands and believe that he has what it takes to hang with the big boys at 185. He isn't a fan of training, has weaknesses in his grappling game, and reliance on one aspect leaves you rusty in others.

I see him having trouble cracking the top of the charts @ MW I believe he'll have a reality check and try to get back down to WW and focus on other aspects of his game...he's still young.

Yup, he's too small. Giant wrestler/grappler would ragdoll him like Weidman did.

He has a fighting chance though with his striking.

Back