Gaming headsets

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by nhbbear, Nov 29, 2017.

1. nhbbear Duty Belt

nhbbear
    On the wall, pissing off the edge of the world
    ok, so I have gone through a few headsets in the past few years, and I am now looking for a new set.

I loved my hyper x cloud 2’s until a cat knocked water onto the microphone, rendering it useless. The set still works, and I would say these are still one of the best sets I have ever owned for only $100. If they had a wireless headset, it would be end of discussion right here.

Then I bought Astro A-40 tr with mix amp that set me back $200. These are supposed to be the best wired headsets, but i am not super impressed with these. You can make your own plate covers, which is cool(i designed some) and you can upgrade the earcups and the headband. Despite my bitching, these are good headphones, but i am not able to pick up footsteps like i can with the hyper x and turtle beaches(see below), but my main problem is that The mic goes in and out, and the power will just turn on without me touching anything, and I can return these and i will, as I got a two year warranty, but I wanted some wireless headsets.

So last week, I went big and bought the turtle beach 800 elite wireless. The sound is pretty damn good, actually the best yet, and i love the charging station, but I don’t like the interface on the sides of the headphones and I am always pushing a button by accident, or the Bluetooth will try and synch without hitting anything. I also don’t like that i can’t tell when i am muted, or not. It seems like such a small oversight, but it bothers me.

So, I have another week to return these and get something else, and I was curious if anyone had any input.

The TB 800 are ALWAYS at the top of the list. Always. But I am not as impressed as I would like, so my plan is to return the astros, and if I can exchange those, I will keep the TBs and get something else. If they simply fix or replace the astros with the same headset, I will probably exchange the TBs.

Also at the top of the list are Astro A-50s, which are wireless. So that is in consideration. I also like what I hear about SteelSeries and plantronics. The A-50s are pretty expensive, though, and bestbuy never seems to have the other headsets i am interested in, so I may have to order them online. So I like the SteelSeries arctis 7, and the plantronics generally get great reviews, though some hate them, but the 800 ls is also a consideration. The Logitech g6 Artemis also scores big, but is not wireless. That is not a deal breaker, though. I just want to have some wireless headsets.

I don’t like the TB stealth 420 because they are uncomfortable and old, and why would i go way down the TB ladder?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

AlphaOmegaMan likes this.
  2. pinger Brown Belt

pinger
    This would probably go best in the Video Games section??

Krixes, Robocok and mb23100 like this.
  3. nhbbear Duty Belt

nhbbear
    There is one there as well, but that forum has low attendance

4. pinger Brown Belt

pinger
    Roger that.

I have an pair of Astro Wireless A-40's (couple of years old) which are great, for what it is worth. These are however, the first pair of decent cans I have owned, so I have no baseline.

5. some random guy Yellow Belt

some random guy
    G933 is the wireless version of the G633 you mentioned.

6. mr.bigglesworth Silver Belt

mr.bigglesworth
    Vmoda Crossfade or M100+boom mic

7. Treeloy Purple Belt

Treeloy
    I was looking at the Astro A50's yesterday. I had the Siberia x300 headset but the mic crapped out so i dont use it anymore.

8. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    This cross-post is fine. Plenty of guys with knowledge in the Berry who don't frequent the VG. Some tech is interesting to the Berry, too. That's why the Smartphone thread is in here when technically it should go in the VG/Tech forum.

pinger likes this.
  9. loyalyolayal Gold Belt

loyalyolayal
    Waiting for Big Baller Brand headphones.

japman40 and Madmick like this.
  10. nhbbear Duty Belt

nhbbear
    I am keeping the Astro a 50s, but also want to try the Audio Technica atf ad500 with antlion mod mic. How the hell would I control the volume for an Xbox?

11. ToxicShocker Hamsterdam

ToxicShocker
    What ever you do, don't buy headphones with a USB-only connection. Make sure they at least break down to 1/8 inch. I bought some turtle beach or whatever at an auction and ended up just giving them away cause I didn't need usb.

12. ToxicShocker Hamsterdam

ToxicShocker
    Madmick and AlphaOmegaMan like this.
  13. Dober4 Blue Belt

Dober4
    I have had my Astro a40s and mix amp for 4 years now and am very pleased with them. Customer service is also very good. I have moved a few times and lost the mic or a cord and they replaced and shipped for free.

14. nhbbear Duty Belt

nhbbear
    Update: I have now purchased superlux hd 668b used for $25, a pair of beyerdynamic 990(wished I got the pro), an ant lion mod mic, Astro a-40s tr with he mix amp, and I am waiting for my sennheiser 598’s, which should arrive Saturday.

Let me explain why I traded a-50s for a-40s which I already owned. The mic on the a50s only worked half the time. I am sure it was a simple fix of upgrading software(which I tried) but I was sick of pissing with it. I planned on using the mix amp to drive all of the other headphones I have that have no mic or controls for volume. I could use the headset adapted on the controller, but I feel that is not going to do them any justice or drive the sets with more ohms.

I will say that there is no headphones that I own that are night and day better than the others, but there are differences.

The superlux are treble blasters, while the beyerdynamic are more bass heavy. Comfort is an issue. The superlux are not very comfortable, especially when compared with the Astro or the beyers, which are very soft. The astros are the most versatile, with the presets able to suit my needs for game or movie.

The plantronics rig 800 are very light and dependable. I have yet to have a complaint about them. And of everything that I have tried, I would probably recommend them, or the hyper x cloud 2’s over the more expensive headsets I have bought. I will probably get audio technica at some point, and with a gift card I get from Best Buy when I sell my phone back when I upgrade, I will either get a new pair of hyper x or the Logitech Artemis spectrum g993’s, which I am leaning toward simply because I have not tried those yet.

My only remaining issue is the mic volume is very low with my mod mic and I have to sort that out at some point. Actually, my astros are low volume as well, so they probably need a software upgrade.

15. Plissken Silver Belt

Plissken
    Gaming headphones are much shittier than actual audiophile headphones. Better off getting a good pairt of real headphones and a standalone mic as the quality of both aspects will be significantly better. If you really want a pair of good gaming headphones though Sennheiser does make sets that use tech based off of (but not equivalent to) some of their audiophile lines. There are Youtube vids that compare quality as well.

Find the Door, TSO and AlphaOmegaMan like this.
  16. nhbbear Duty Belt

nhbbear

I considered the game one or zero or the gsp, but those are a few years old. I ordered the sennheiser 598 yesterday. I plan to get a pair of audio technical as well. Maybe i go for the hype and get the ath 50x, or maybe the 700 or 900’s. This is my new addiction and I am almost ready to give handjobs for headsets.

17. nhbbear Duty Belt

nhbbear
    Also, like I said, the astros and some of the other gaming sets i bought stand up to the beyers and superlux that I already have.

Also, the hyper x that I love are basically beyers with a few differences.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  18. RerouteToRemain Silver Belt

RerouteToRemain
    I'm pretty sure the game one and the 598 are essentially the same thing (same driver) but the games obviously have a mic.

Madmick likes this.
  19. LuchaBear The last Son of Harpy

LuchaBear
    If you want to hear footsteps, use Windows Sonic. It's free and on Xbox as well.

20. LuchaBear The last Son of Harpy

LuchaBear
    I don't understand. The Hyper X Cloud mic is detachable, is it not? You could attatch any mic on it if the original is broken.

My Hyper X Cloud wire got fucked up and it wasn't detachable so I just recently bought the Sennheiser 558's. Great sound and very comfortable. I use Windows Sonic on Xbox to hear footsteps in Rainbow 6 Siege. It's a free app that turns the sound coming from your headphones into something like surround sound and let's you hear audio coming from above and under you.

Normal stereo will still give off better quality sound and louder base though. Windows Sonic is only good if you're playing games where hearing foot steps is very important.

Madmick likes this.