Game of Thrones S07E06 Discussion Thread: Episode Spoilers ONLY

I agree with this to a degree. Tyrion has definitely declined (although I think it's also a result of him becoming more serious/less sarcastic), and Varys/Littlefinger being out of their element (combined with iffy writing) has made them much less compelling. Arya tows the line of likeable badass girl and psychotic bitch, I honestly don't know who to expect from scene-to-scene. Perhaps all the face changing has made her own personality scrambled. Dany is pretty straightforward: she puts on a hardass front to appear strong, but deep down she's emotional and caring, even doubtful of herself.
A writer can not write a character wittier than himself, and GRR had the wit to pen Tyrion as the clever imp fans loved. Now that Dumb & Dumber are scripting his lines, the sharp tongue that once defined him is replaced with shallow, disposable dialogue. Once the best character on the show and now just a sad, empty shell of what he once was. Tyrion deserves better.

Yeah, I gotta say, it had it's moments, but it was an underwhelming episode as a whole. We'll see what they have brewing for Episode 7, but outside of Cleganebowl or the Wall get Ice Dragon obliterated, I feel this is going to be a disapointing season. Actually, Arya stabbing Littlefinger would be pretty choice.

My "Dany ends up a mad Targ" prediction seems more and more likely every episode.
preview looked promising. Cersei has been the one redeeming thing this season- both her storyline and Lena's pitch perfect portrayal of her.

I watched the episode a few times now.
At first Jon was holding off the zombies in order to let everyone else board the dragon, but then it got to a point where he was just fighting by himself and he was pretty far away from the dragon.
Stupid Hollywood writing
In the behind the scenes footage one of the Ds said Jon was being a leader, "jumping on a grenade to save his men."

So, yeah, poor and cliched writing.

Benjen's suicidal decision, the giant chains, Dany not frying all the dead, etc., it was an episode that had everyone scratching their heads a few times, even if it was an exciting show
Behind the scenes footage with the Ds in regards to Benjen -"It's a relief in some way because he has been trapped in this kind of purgatory state between life and death for quite some time" and some bs about finding out that is purpose is to save bran & Jon.

If Benjen wants to end it so bad then why not have him meet up with Jon's crew earlier and as the group boards Dany's dragon, Benjen makes a sucide run at the Night King. Have Benjen go out fighting white walkers and the Night King.
That is a better scene and cuts out the poor writing of Jon falling in the water, somehow being immediately forgotten by everyone, getting out of the water, Benjen riding in and sending Jon off on his horse while he stays to fight to his death. Plus it cuts out the Dany pouting on top of the wall scene. Of course, my way Jon isn't shirtless in bed for Dany to stand over and lust on which seems to be a top priority for the writers. Could work in the shirtless scene some other way.

IMO, the wights having chains was the most forgivable plot hole in the episode. While the episode falters in the face of criticism, I ultimately found it enjoyable.

Back