GAMBIT Movie (Gore Verbinski No Longer Directing; Lizzy Caplan Joins Cast)

He needs the Cajun/French accent and to say the words 'chere' and 'mon ami', if he does that THEN I'll be on board.

Tatum needs to hang out with the Troy from Swamp People until he starts to sound like him.

You couldn't pay me to watch a gambit movie starring Tatum.

I might force myself to like Gambit just on principle since it will be a solo movie without Wolverine which actually hasn't happened yet. It should have happened with Magneto, but...

I watched Angel Heart the other night. That would be a great premise for a Gambit movie. Just switch out Lou Cipher for Nathaniel Essex, cut down on the nudity (no homo) and give Remy some redeeming qualities. So instead of selling his soul for power, he sells his services to Sinister for saving Belladonna. Instead of amnesia from the war he has amnesia from a psychic (Shadow King, Emma Frost) or a concussion (Omega Red, Cyber, idk....)

What Gambit would forget is his role in something like the Mutant Massacre and his debt to Sinister.

I watched Angel Heart the other night. That would be a great premise for a Gambit movie. Just switch out Lou Cipher for Nathaniel Essex, cut down on the nudity (no homo) and give Remy some redeeming qualities. So instead of selling his soul for power, he sells his services to Sinister for saving Belladonna. Instead of amnesia from the war he has amnesia from a psychic (Shadow King, Emma Frost) or a concussion (Omega Red, Cyber, idk....)

That is a very cool movie but I'm not sure Gambit would be convincing enough as a detective. I'd much rather see a heist movie. But still, that movie would be better than what they'll actually go with.

That is a very cool movie but I'm not sure Gambit would be convincing enough as a detective. I'd much rather see a heist movie. But still, that movie would be better than what they'll actually go with.

Good point. So instead of hiring Remy to be a private dick, Essex hires him to pull a heist job. The job itself involves items, people, and places that begin to jar his memory.

Good point. So instead of hiring Remy to be a private dick, Essex hires him to pull a heist job. The job itself involves items, people, and places that begin to jar his memory.

I like a Heist movie too. We need more anti-hero type movies. Like he could start off as a bad seed but gets a higher calling from the X-Men. Plus he's a known thief and so his origin story should start with him being a ruffian and a scamp in the Bayou/Louisiana. Then he matures and becomes a world class thief and pulls off a heist.

If they could make it classy like Oceans Eleven and get David Holmes to do the score. :icon_chee

I'd like to see Gambit's League of Thieves face off against the League of Assassins. This was referenced in one of the X Comics; Gambit says that when the two Leagues went to war, even the Cops and FBI just hunkered down and waited for it all to be over.

As much as I didn't like Taylor Kitsch as Gambit I would rather see him again over Tatum.

They made Gambit a pansy in the Wolverine orgins movie. I think Channing could fix that.

Gambit 2016 by Anung Un Rama (this is the linear telling of the story, the movie would be filmed so that the audience is never sure as to what is going on until the end.

The movie begins in Paris with a very high end "rare art dealer" (re: thief) Robert Lord (Gambit in disguise?). He takes a meeting with a client, Nathaniel Essex. Mr. Essex hires Mr. Lord to steal a rare red diamond for him, that he believes is located in New Orleans within a secret, heavily guarded, military base.

As Lord researches the artifact he winds up reading a lot of local legend, lore, and news reports about mutants and murder and La Diable Blanc (thats actually a nickname for Gambit meaning "white devil" but I think it matches Sinister really well). As Remy gets closer to the heist, he starts to have flashbacks - but you can't tell if they're real memories or just his thoughts about the research he's done.

It turns out Robert Lord is really Remy Lebeau, "Gambit".

Many years ago Sinister employed Gambit for a mission in exchange for curing his love, Bella Donna Boudreaux of the Legacy Virus.

At the time of the contract, Remy and Bella Donna were secret lovers from different sides of the tracks (Rich/Poor, Formally educated/ Street Smart, Assassins Guild/Thieves Guild). Friends from childhood, they shared another bond; they are both, unbeknownst to anybody else, mutants -- very Romeo & Juliet, yeah?

BD falls ill and all the doctors can say is she is going to die. She falls in to a coma and as Gambit sit @ her bedside, Dr. Nathaniel Essex enters her room. He explains to Gambit that he knows they are both mutants and that she has contracted what is known as the 'mutant plague', or Legacy Virus. He reveals his true form and offers Gambit a deal: his unwavering services for a cure.

Gambit agrees and winds up using his knowledge of New Orleans and Louisiana in general to lead Sinister's Marauders (Scalphunter, Sabretooth?) to LA's Morlock Dens, where they proceed to massacre the Morlocks. This is an effort to both cover Sinister's tracks (there have been newspaper reports of La Diable Blanc (White Devil) and to cull the DNA for his experiments.

Sinister releases Gambit once they're finished and, as promised, gives him BD's cure. BUT...Gambit also steals a mysterious red diamond of Sinister's before parting ways (man just can't help himself). He returns to BD's bedside and administers the cure. Once she awakens his joy is supplanted with remorse at all the evil things he's done. Belladonna returns the gift by using her psychic powers (thats not her power in the comics) to erase Remy's memory of her, the massacres, Sinister, and the guilds. She also gives him a psychic suggestion to flee far from N.O. But she also have him a subliminal suggestion if he should ever see La Diable Blanc again. We are also lead to believe that BD dies anyhow after Gambit leaves.

When Gambit finally steals the diamond, Essex appears and takes the diamond, places it on his head and reveals himself to be Mr. Sinister. Gambit's realizes the flashback were his memories, he reflexively enacts the subliminal message and alarms are set off. It is revealed that they are not in a military bunker, they are in the heart of the Assassin Guild's trophy room.

The Guild emerges with Belladonna and her and Remy's children (the cuckoos?).
Sinister teleports Scalphunter and Sabretooth? to help him. BD and the Cuckoo's attack Sinister but their psychic attacks deflect off of Essex's forehead diamond (now we know why he wanted it). He also reveals that he wanted to return to the hospital to take the babies for their dna but BD had already been picked up and hidden by the Assassins Guild).

Meanwhile Gambit is going one on one vs. Sabretooth and is holding his own with his speed and powers, eventually leading him into a spot where the Assassins guild is able to put numbers on him (arrows, knives, darts). Gambit then moves over to Scalphunter and beats him pretty bad/easily.

Meanwhile... the cuckoos have another power, they can project their psychic attacks into kinetically charged thoughts (think Gambits cards + Psylocke's psychic knives). They knock his diamond off his head and now Sinister is more vulnerable but no slouch. He fights and nearly defeats everybody until BD gives all her power to one attack that really hurts Sinister. Sinister retreats and takes Sabretooth and Scalphunter with him.

Remy runs to BD, she is dying and with her last breath uses her powers to show Gambit her forgiveness for his participation in the massacres, and her love as well as her memories of raising their kids, telling them about their father, and uniting the thieves/assassins guild.

Remy takes over as head of the Guilds and sends the girls off to Mutant Boarding School -- Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.

waddaya think?

Gambit 2016 by Anung Un Rama (this is the linear telling of the story, the movie would be filmed so that the audience is never sure as to what is going on until the end.

The movie begins in Paris with a very high end "rare art dealer" (re: thief) Robert Lord (Gambit in disguise?). He takes a meeting with a client, Nathaniel Essex. Mr. Essex hires Mr. Lord to steal a rare red diamond for him, that he believes is located in New Orleans within a secret, heavily guarded, military base.

As Lord researches the artifact he winds up reading a lot of local legend, lore, and news reports about mutants and murder and La Diable Blanc (thats actually a nickname for Gambit meaning "white devil" but I think it matches Sinister really well). As Remy gets closer to the heist, he starts to have flashbacks - but you can't tell if they're real memories or just his thoughts about the research he's done.

It turns out Robert Lord is really Remy Lebeau, "Gambit".

Many years ago Sinister employed Gambit for a mission in exchange for curing his love, Bella Donna Boudreaux of the Legacy Virus.

At the time of the contract, Remy and Bella Donna were secret lovers from different sides of the tracks (Rich/Poor, Formally educated/ Street Smart, Assassins Guild/Thieves Guild). Friends from childhood, they shared another bond; they are both, unbeknownst to anybody else, mutants -- very Romeo & Juliet, yeah?

BD falls ill and all the doctors can say is she is going to die. She falls in to a coma and as Gambit sit @ her bedside, Dr. Nathaniel Essex enters her room. He explains to Gambit that he knows they are both mutants and that she has contracted what is known as the 'mutant plague', or Legacy Virus. He reveals his true form and offers Gambit a deal: his unwavering services for a cure.

Gambit agrees and winds up using his knowledge of New Orleans and Louisiana in general to lead Sinister's Marauders (Scalphunter, Sabretooth?) to LA's Morlock Dens, where they proceed to massacre the Morlocks. This is an effort to both cover Sinister's tracks (there have been newspaper reports of La Diable Blanc (White Devil) and to cull the DNA for his experiments.

Sinister releases Gambit once they're finished and, as promised, gives him BD's cure. BUT...Gambit also steals a mysterious red diamond of Sinister's before parting ways (man just can't help himself). He returns to BD's bedside and administers the cure. Once she awakens his joy is supplanted with remorse at all the evil things he's done. Belladonna returns the gift by using her psychic powers (thats not her power in the comics) to erase Remy's memory of her, the massacres, Sinister, and the guilds. She also gives him a psychic suggestion to flee far from N.O. But she also have him a subliminal suggestion if he should ever see La Diable Blanc again. We are also lead to believe that BD dies anyhow after Gambit leaves.

When Gambit finally steals the diamond, Essex appears and takes the diamond, places it on his head and reveals himself to be Mr. Sinister. Gambit's realizes the flashback were his memories, he reflexively enacts the subliminal message and alarms are set off. It is revealed that they are not in a military bunker, they are in the heart of the Assassin Guild's trophy room.

The Guild emerges with Belladonna and her and Remy's children (the cuckoos?).
Sinister teleports Scalphunter and Sabretooth? to help him. BD and the Cuckoo's attack Sinister but their psychic attacks deflect off of Essex's forehead diamond (now we know why he wanted it). He also reveals that he wanted to return to the hospital to take the babies for their dna but BD had already been picked up and hidden by the Assassins Guild).

Meanwhile Gambit is going one on one vs. Sabretooth and is holding his own with his speed and powers, eventually leading him into a spot where the Assassins guild is able to put numbers on him (arrows, knives, darts). Gambit then moves over to Scalphunter and beats him pretty bad/easily.

Meanwhile... the cuckoos have another power, they can project their psychic attacks into kinetically charged thoughts (think Gambits cards + Psylocke's psychic knives). They knock his diamond off his head and now Sinister is more vulnerable but no slouch. He fights and nearly defeats everybody until BD gives all her power to one attack that really hurts Sinister. Sinister retreats and takes Sabretooth and Scalphunter with him.

Remy runs to BD, she is dying and with her last breath uses her powers to show Gambit her forgiveness for his participation in the massacres, and her love as well as her memories of raising their kids, telling them about their father, and uniting the thieves/assassins guild.

Remy takes over as head of the Guilds and sends the girls off to Mutant Boarding School -- Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.

waddaya think?

I'd watch that movie.:icon_chee

He returns to BD's bedside and administers the cure. Once she awakens his joy is supplanted with remorse at all the evil things he's done. Belladonna returns the gift by using her psychic powers (thats not her power in the comics) to erase Remy's memory of her, the massacres, Sinister, and the guilds. She also gives him a psychic suggestion to flee far from N.O. But she also have him a subliminal suggestion if he should ever see La Diable Blanc again. We are also lead to believe that BD dies anyhow after Gambit leaves.
What do you think about Sinister refusing to give Gambit the cure? This way, he would be motivated by spite to steal the ruby (ruby seems more French to me, for some reason). Crestfallen Gambit returns to the Boudreaux Estate, whereupon Bella Donna forgives him of his sins and washes away his memories. As he's drifting away, we can assume she dies for lack of cure; and then you continue in "present" time.

I think the challenge will be stepping from "present" time into the flashbacks. You mention research, so I'm guessing you'll need a Colorful Research character by which the history can be told. I recommend a handy-dandy Haitian Voodoo midget. Not unlike childhood Lil Ze from CITY OF GOD.

My question is how will the ruby bring in/tie together these seemingly non-related elements in organic fashion? The ruby is the carrot the audience follows. The ruby must be missing through most of "present" time because otherwise the story would be about STEALING the ruby, and the ensuing gambits thereof, not tracking it down.

What do you think about Sinister refusing to give Gambit the cure? This way, he would be motivated by spite to steal the ruby (ruby seems more French to me, for some reason). Crestfallen Gambit returns to the Boudreaux Estate, whereupon Bella Donna forgives him of his sins and washes away his memories. As he's drifting away, we can assume she dies for lack of cure; and then you continue in "present" time.

I think the challenge will be stepping from "present" time into the flashbacks. You mention research, so I'm guessing you'll need a Colorful Research character by which the history can be told. I recommend a handy-dandy Haitian Voodoo midget. Not unlike childhood Lil Ze from CITY OF GOD.

My question is how will the ruby bring in/tie together these seemingly non-related elements in organic fashion? The ruby is the carrot the audience follows. The ruby must be missing through most of "present" time because otherwise the story would be about STEALING the ruby, and the ensuing gambits thereof, not tracking it down.

Agreed, "no cure" makes more sense. Done.

Ruby instead of diamond. No problem with that, but it has to be shaped like a diamond. Essex aint about that Hindu life.

I LOVE me some voodoo characters. I think that is a brilliant idea. Done.

The ruby has to be heisted, but its whereabouts is the secret.
Sinister describes a "secret military base" which is actually the A.Guild's HQ. It can't be out in the open or Sinister might have tried to access it himself (or the FBI).
So he has to find it and retrieve the ruby, so who better to do than a Master, Master Thief with knowledge, albeit psychically repressed, of the area, and whose participation also provides a degree of revenge.

How would you play it?

Do I have to picture Tanning Chatum doing all this?

pffft, like you weren't already

large.gif

That's going to make this next picture slightly discomforting.

uplouiea10.jpg

So I think Louis' kid Jane, Ursula Parker, would make the perfect Stepford Cuckoos. I would probably establish them, and the Boudreaux family, as heavyweights early on in "present" time. A real family of don't-fuck-with-me's, whose social power we later discover is enhanced by the ruby. Where Essex represents the secret threat, the Boudreauxs beneath the command of a trio of tiny vengeful Aryans will be the "obvious" threat. Largely in the form of a Bodyguard who can exist both in "present" time and the flashbacks -- this is the guy who comes storming into rooms in both eras upsetting Gambit's delicate sense of memory and serenity. Maybe Guido Strong Guy, recast as a Cajun buttonman?

When all the shit is going down in the bunker, the Cuckoos enter like Peter Stormare's Satan in CONSTANTINE. Everyone is scared of them; and in order to set this up there will need to be an earlier depiction of their power (I kinda see the three of them surrounding some hapless victim, lightning bolts coming from their eyes -- as the victim gets levitated about five feet off the ground and burned into a white light). So, eyes full of lightning, yeah? Room full of conflict. Bated breath. They bring down their terrible gaze on Gambit ... only to reveal they won't kill him because he's their dad.

Awesome! Love the Cuckoo/Boudreaux background.
That adds some nice depth/context as well as packing a punch for the finale.

That Sinister reveal would be epic.

And I love the idea of a guy like Strongman being muscle for the guild (An alt character could be "Random"). Or Random could replace Scalphunter or be added to the Marauders.

I don't necessarily like my choice of Sabretooth for this movie, but Gambit doesn't really have a decent arch enemy and I would love to see Sabretooth tear up a character like Strong Guy.

Back