Frank Mir: I don’t feel the same about the company as I felt years ago

People can hate on Frank all they want, but he has put in so many years in for the company and has been a very reliable fighter. I can't recall him pulling out of many fights and has given us a highlight reel of ko's and submissions, as well as being in a bunch of title fights and big cards. The term ' UFC veteran ' gets thrown around way too much, but Mir is truly one of the few deserving of that title.

Positive or not, he doesn't deserve this kind of treatment...he deserves some closure or answers on the situation. Another example of the UFC not giving a fuck about their employees.

He has closure and answers. His closure is that he's suspended and his answer why is because he tested positive for steroids. It's just not the answer and closure Mir and apparently many sherdoggers would prefer.

The bottom line is he put himself in this situation. He has no one to blame but himself.

I'd like to see him use this time off to re-dedicate himself to conditioning and heal up whatever nagging injuries he might have. Given his age and the fact that he'll likely have to be off the sauce, I realize it's a long shot. It would still be cool to see Mir have another late career resurgence.

USADA are just a big business making money off testing for a banned list in a sport that they don't even understand.

He has closure and answers. His closure is that he's suspended and his answer why is because he tested positive for steroids. It's just not the answer and closure Mir and apparently many sherdoggers would prefer.

The bottom line is he put himself in this situation. He has no one to blame but himself.

I'd like to see him use this time off to re-dedicate himself to conditioning and heal up whatever nagging injuries he might have. Given his age and the fact that he'll likely have to be off the sauce, I realize it's a long shot. It would still be cool to see Mir have another late career resurgence.

It still shouldn't prevent him from making an income, in majority of jobs...if you make one fuck up at work you're not penalized for a few years and prevented else where from making anymore money.

It still shouldn't prevent him from making an income, in majority of jobs...if you make one fuck up at work you're not penalized for a few years and prevented else where from making anymore money.
Yes, but if he has money problems after what has been paid in his career, then he deserves to be broke and needs financial counseling. His case more compares to a CEO being fired. He isn't some blue collar guy making 14-21 an hour.

Comparing a professional athlete under contract to the "majority of jobs is a little silly.

As I understand it, his suspension isn't preventing him from making money. He just can't fight for another organization. I believe, earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that he's already doing commentary for various fighting organizations. He's surely getting paid for that.

Also, there are plenty of fields where if you're caught doing something illegal, especially when that illegal act pertains to your field, you're not only fired but you can also lose your license to practice in that field. If one is required of course.

It's not like Mir committed tax fraud, which has nothing to do with his profession.

I guess my point is, the ufc is not preventing him from making money, only preventing him from fighting for the duration of his suspension.

bvsix.gif

Comparing a professional athlete under contract to the "majority of jobs is a little silly.

As I understand it, his suspension isn't preventing him from making money. He just can't fight for another organization. I believe, earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that he's already doing commentary for various fighting organizations. He's surely getting paid for that.

Also, there are plenty of fields where if you're caught doing something illegal, especially when that illegal act pertains to your field, you're not only fired but you can also lose your license to practice in that field. If one is required of course.

It's not like Mir committed tax fraud, which has nothing to do with his profession.

I guess my point is, the ufc is not preventing him from making money, only preventing him from fighting for the duration of his suspension.

Oh right, my bad. I was under the impression he was still having issues with his contract, I remember a while back he was stripped from some of his side duties, they weren't letting him be involved with commentary or be involved with post fight shows.

Oh right, my bad. I was under the impression he was still having issues with his contract, I remember a while back he was stripped from some of his side duties, they weren't letting him be involved with commentary or be involved with post fight shows.

I kind of remember that as well. I've never been much of a fan of his. I think it's because there was a point in his career, prior to him being humbled multiple times, where he seemed to be completely dismissive of his opponents after he beat them. He would have this smirk on his face, that I interpreted as, he didn't think those guys even belonged in the same ring as him. That and he didn't seem to have a lot of heart. Of course, it very well have been a lack of cardio rather than a lack of heart.

From what I remember of his fight commentary / analysis, he was pretty good. Hopefully, if he decides to hang 'em up, he can continue to find work calling fights. Maybe even for the ufc.

Back