Rewatch Forgotten "Super Fight": Demetrious Johnson vs Dominick Cruz For BW Title (Yes They Fought)

Dj was just a contender back then I don’t think he was even doing mma full time at that point.
This; he had only been fighting for two years with a 7-1 record, he was only training a couple of days per week, and had a full-time construction/factory job

DJ only started training full time after the second McCall fight.

Cruz vs. DJ in 2016 was the only time period for this to have been an actual super fight.

Yeah I wanted to see him fight Frankie Edgar when both were in their primes. It wouldn't be a "just bleed" fight as both had crazy footwork and could be elusive. It would've been a good technical fight, though, and probably come down to a close decision.

Seeing how Frankie dropped to BW very late in his career, I'm sure he could've gone there after getting robbed by Bendo in their rematch or maybe after losing to Aldo. I think it would've been the best weight class for him as Aldo was his kyptonite and he was too small for the bigger guys starting to fight at LW.

I agree it would be a close fight between them although Im pretty sure Cruz would not give either Aldo or Bendo as hard time as Frankie did.

Frankie doesnt get as much credit as he deserves for it imo. One of the very few if not the only fighter that big-headed, prime Conor paid respect for

That was only a superfight in retrospect. At the time DJ wasn't seen as a serious contender, got handled by Pickett and won a controversial decision vs Miguel Torres leading up to the Cruz fight. DJ was never a big deal at 135 but yes, anyone who's been watching a while knows this happened.

This.

Miguel Torres v MM is also worth rewatching. I had it for Torres.

But Torres declined from that point pretty much and Mighty Mouse improved into one of the all time greats.

Prime Cruz was the BW goat. He gets forgotten about but Prime Cruz beats any BW imo ever.

uvs6_weighin_031.jpg

That wasn't even close to being a fair fight lol.

This.

Miguel Torres v MM is also worth rewatching. I had it for Torres.

But Torres declined from that point pretty much and Mighty Mouse improved into one of the all time greats.
DJ also had a draw with Ian "Uncle Creepy' McCall in their first fight and many thought McCall should've won. Yes, the same McCall that almost OD's on drugs and used to beat up random people for no reason before he became a fighter.

It definitely wasn't a big deal when it happened. Nobody was high on MM coming off the robbery of Torres and a fight/period where Kid Yamamoto looked like absolute shit.

That was only a superfight in retrospect. At the time DJ wasn't seen as a serious contender, got handled by Pickett and won a controversial decision vs Miguel Torres leading up to the Cruz fight. DJ was never a big deal at 135 but yes, anyone who's been watching a while knows this happened.
Miguel Torres got marketed as some goat cause the division was new and he had a fancy number 30-1 or something. Fell into obscurity quick.

UFC can't help but hype. Ronda once in a lifetime athlete. Can't box.

Another example of why DJ is regarded as the best fighter to ever live by many pundits and fellow fighters.

Massive size/weight dissadvantage for lighter weightclasses in this match up, vs the GOAT at the superior weightclass, and still gave him all he could handle despite not even dedicating to MMA full time by then.
You're overdoing it. I bet I could beat him up. Heavier guys are being nice by giving him props. His fans are 5'5 and weigh 140 pounds.

Miguel Torres got marketed as some goat cause the division was new and he had a fancy number 30-1 or something. Fell into obscurity quick.

UFC can't help but hype. Ronda once in a lifetime athlete. Can't box.

Nobody is talking about that. Did you ever see Torres vs Mighty Mouse? Torres arguably won that fight.

Cruz says he broke one of his thumbs or hands (forget which, it's been a while) in round 1 (apparently a regularly occurring injury as he said it has happened a few times), which is why he went so wrestle heavy after that.
In any case this is the 135 pound and 125 goats (as of now) battling, and that sort of thing has almost never occurred (closest thing we have is the GSP vs. Penn fights, though I don't think 155 has a clear goat).
It's nice to see DJ's career still going strong, even savagely avenged the lone loss he had outside of the UFC; too bad Cruz' has been hampered by so many injuries and so much missed time (both fighting and training), he could have evolved to the next level and certainly had an even lengthier resume if he didn't have so many setbacks.

This is why he isn't seen as a p4p GOAT

He fought at a higher weight class and was a mid road contender

This fight left a sour taste in MM's mouth. He would go on to duck TJ for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back