Forehead punches are fight ending. Is it a new offensive weapon (Chandler vs. Bendo)?

Close. It's devastating as a shot because the skull takes all of the shock of the punch, whereas a shot to the face or the jaw is largely absorbed, especially when someone rolls, by the muscles in the neck.

The shot behind the ear discombobulates people badly for a similar reason. The same neck muscles that act as shock absorbers end behind the ear. Thus, they also absorb less shock at this point. The vestibular system in your ear takes a massive shock and you suffer a severe disorientation as a result. And when someone continues to load more shots on top, you have little hope to recover.
youre as wrong as a person can possibly be wrong.

Well yeah getting hit anywhere in the head isn't good for your brain. But there are much better targets on the head than forehead.... jaw, nose, temple, tip of the chin. Plenty of places more likely to cause a KO with less danger of breaking your own hand.

TS has never hit a stiff target in his life.

No competent striking coach will teach you to aim for the forehead with your fists. Great target with your harder weapons (elbow, knee, shin) but not your hands.

Yes KO’s can happen with the hands but those are incidental. Most of the examples are glancing blows that cause the neck to snap backwards. That’s not something you train for. Be thankful if you got a KO out of it but don’t expect it to happen again.

Some boxers like the jab to the forehead because it makes the head snap back, exposing the jaw to the follow-up straight.

thats not the flipside, thats literally what youre taught to do, if u have to get hit u take it off the forehead. thats why you TUCK your chin which exposes your much stronger forehead
By flip side I meant, if someone wants to develop a hypothesis with only several examples, they should also contemplate the thousands of counter examples.

But I’ve notice many folks don’t bother around here.

Last edited:
tumblr_n3y7ruTAqG1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Chuck Liddell was a master forehead puncher
Golovkin throws a short overhand to the forehead/top of the head quite often. This was a K.O. shot

0CbdpH.gif

A few weeks back there was controversy over a late stoppage by Herb Dean. What was overlooked in that fight was the actual strike that KO'd Jai Hebert. It was a punch to the forehead.

NextUnselfishAntbear-size_restricted.gif

Chris Weidman was stopped by Jacare with a forehead punch as well.

WiQJ04J.gif

Yes Chandler did knock Bendo down with a straight left. But Bendo was still conscious. It was the followup forehead punch that faceplanted him out cold.

giphy.gif

Are we going to see more forehead punches?
I normally try to avoid this type of punch if at all possible. My fingers hurt just looking at it. That being said, an open hand... stiff arm, palm to the forehead at close range can knock someone off their feet. Just because of jolt to the spine. Pushes people off balance. Can put someone on their ass, but knock out? If your fingers break first, then physics says NO.

Like breaking a vase or bottle over someone's head, the transfer of energy is less, than if the object stays whole. If one object breaks, which the weakest between the two will always, according to physics, the other stays whole. However the open hand to the forehead can be very effective in pushing people. Just have 'perfect form' and you'll be okay.

Same application as breaking boards or bricks with your open hand. Just note the forehead won't break without something holding the head in place. However it will transfer the energy, right to the neck bones. Absorbing the shock over a wide area. Delivering shock to the spine. which can cause a limited nerve interruption. Like any other pressure point. Just over the pressure points in the spinal column.

Test it on a practice dummy at a gym and watch what happens. The head will go back and it may even pitch backward. It's not however a technique you can just assume that will work to incapacitate someone. Should not be tried without some practice with your palm technique.

That strike in the GIF is something to be avoided. Totally. He probably missed the bridge of the nose. Happens. I've done it more than once and I regret it. My father the Green Beret, taught me to tuck my chin, letting people hit my forehead. That's an actual thing. So is letting people hit your cheekbones. I've broken my knuckles so severely on someone's cheekbones, you can see the damage today.

Back