For those of you who hate "point fighters" or guys who don't finish fights..

Tony Ferguson

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
How come? I'm honestly curious to see what you guys think

I personally feel as if when I watch someone outpoint their opponent, I'm genuinely finding out who the better fighter is..

But I see people who give guys like Cruz shit for it, when imo he's obviously one of the greatest fighters ever!

So what is it?

Is it just bleed fans or what? I for one as a female, love a nice submission or KO // TKO just as much as the next person- but decisions, imo, truly show who's the better fighter

What say you guys?

I personally feel as if when I watch someone outpoint their opponent, I'm genuinely finding out who the better fighter is..

But I see people who give guys like Cruz shit for it, when imo he's obviously one of the greatest fighters ever!

So what is it?

Is it just bleed fans or what? I for one as a female, love a nice submission or KO // TKO just as much as the next person- but decisions, imo, truly show who's the better fighter

What say you guys?
for the same reason i never enjoyed a stale mate in chess. there must be a clear winner and it must be a violent finish.

Personally i love the art of shutting you opponent down.

I just happen to enjoy the art of a ko a bit more.

But i see the beauty in both.

Depends. Cruz makes it entertaining for me. But the wall and stall guys needs to piss right off.

There is a big difference between being a point fighter, and just not getting to finish a fight.

What do i mean? Jab n run is a point fighting strategy. Using dangerous tools against a fighter without getting a ko, is not point fighting.

Compare gsp vs kos, and alves vs kos.

for the same reason i never enjoyed a stale mate in chess. there must be a clear winner and it must be a violent finish.

Chess.gif

So what is it?

What say you guys?

I dislike it when you have a champion who doesn't convincingly win fights...

Benson Henderson's fights were rarely but so entertaining, and normally I felt like he was fighting not to lose rather than to win...

He pointed Nate Diaz for 5 rounds who had nothing for him and he should have been able to finish, he beat the hell out of Edgar in there first fight and never tried to finish, and he pointed Gilbert...

To some extent I dislike the way Dominick Cruz uses his footwork to victories for the same reason, but on occasion he shocks me, and I don't have as much of a problem with him because he's always moving and relies heavily on strategy..

Those are my main complaints tho with a point fighter

I hate the justification that a decision gives us a better idea of who is superior. Knocking someone out or submitting them is the ultimate decisive win. It means you would have literally killed your opponent had the referee not been there. Dominating someone should mean you can finish them after beating them up. Not take them a full 25 minutes until time runs out.

Because finishing your opponent quickly and brutally are two of the most important things about martial arts.

The only thing a decision means is either: you're "playing the game" and consider MMA a sport, or you were scared / too closely matched to get a finish.

I don't enjoy point fighting... However Cruz is one of my favorite fighters because what he does is masterful... There's nobody like him in MMA right now.

For him to make top flight competition look so silly is very entertaining.

However point fighters against average opponents who also look sloppy in the process I can't stand... One that comes to mind is Bisping, dude has virtually zero KO power , gets concussed in every fight, and tickles his way to controversial decisions.

BIG difference imo.

Not all decisions are created equal. It largely depends on how the points were earned. Some fighters seem to have no intention of trying to finish a fight and play it safe the whole time. Trying for a finish and not getting is typically more exciting to watch than just trying solely to win on points alone.

Still, the fight game is tricky. I can't fault anyone for their game plan as I am not the one in a cage getting my face punched on. If I were, perhaps I would adopt a plan in which I could win without sustaining long-term injuries.

Last edited:
It really depends. If a wrestler is just getting takedowns and doing nothing besides holding top position, I find that boring and lame. If he is constantly improving position, going for subs, or throwing punches (with the intention of doing damage), then its totally fine. With striking, there needs to be more than 1 punch thrown every 2 minutes. It really depends on the situation......

Lay & Pray is not the same as outpoint your opponent, two very different decisions imo.

Not all decisions are created equal. It largely depends on how the points were earned. Some fighters seem to have no intention of trying to finish a fight and play it safe the whole time. Trying for a finish and not getting it typically more exciting to watch than just trying solely to win on points alone.

Still, the fight game is tricky. I can't fault anyone for their game plan as I am not the one in a cage getting my face punched on. If I were, perhaps I would adopt a plan in which I could win without sustaining long-term injuries.

This is the key point. Is the fighter's main purpose to win a decision and just win on points? Or is the fighter doing everything he/she can, within a reasonable amount of risk of course, to finish the fight and it just so happens the other person is hard to finish.

I'm against point fighting when the fight is close, and at the end of the fight, both guys still look like they have plenty of gas in the tank. Then the loser acts disappointed and the winner acts like he won easily. What a ripoff -- take some risks!

Point fighting is OK if it's clearly one-sided and they're at least trying to finish, like many GSP fights. The loser usually tries as hard as he can, but the winner is just too good.

I prefer fights where fighters to try finish their opponents as quickly as possible. Like old school tournament style. Go in, finish, get out, repeat 3 times.

So what is it?

What say you guys?
no body really gives cruz flack on the decisions anymore. i remember when he was hated and people wanted faber to beat him because cruz was "boring".

people must have not know what they had till it was gone. because as soon as he was scheduled to fight mizugaki everyone all the sudden was rooting for cruz.

I dislike it when you have a champion who doesn't convincingly win fights...

Benson Henderson's fights were rarely but so entertaining, and normally I felt like he was fighting not to lose rather than to win...

He pointed Nate Diaz for 5 rounds who had nothing for him and he should have been able to finish, he beat the hell out of Edgar in there first fight and never tried to finish, and he pointed Gilbert...

To some extent I dislike the way Dominick Cruz uses his footwork to victories for the same reason, but on occasion he shocks me, and I don't have as much of a problem with him because he's always moving and relies heavily on strategy..

Those are my main complaints tho with a point fighter

That is my only issue. Fighters fighting not to lose, rather than to win. Tim Sylvia once did an interview where he admitted to doing this during some of his champion days. And I guess with the amount of money and shit at risk, it somewhat makes sense.

But, as a fan, I got into this sport when most fighters weren't making big bucks and if you wanted to, you had to go out and be exciting. You had to at least TRY to finish.

Back