For those of you that train BJJ

MMA fighters who receive a blackbelt in bjj aren't like bjj-only guys who receive belts. BJJ coaches generally promote mma guys easier than a guy who is strictly a bjj student/competitor

if they have a particular move they're good at, they may be able to catch a black belt with it. When I was a white belt, I caught a lot of blue belts in triangles, & even 2 purple belts. One of the purple belts took it well. The other refused to tap for a while; his eyes were glassy & he looked drunk for a minute after I released it.

I really dont understand why MMA fighters train grappling in a gi , Pride days are over.

You train in a gi because it's much more technical and slower. In no gi you can power out of a lot of bad positions against someone as skilled as you, but if you were to face someone better with a deeper technical knowledge they will be able to control you anyway.

I really like BBBJ's.........who doesnt?

Its not about belt colors,its about who are you are training with,where and how much effort you are putting on it.
Gi or no Gi.

I train BJs with BJ because he's good at sucking.

FilthyYellowishAbyssiniancat.gif

Am I doing this right?

Many MMA fighters rarely spend time in the GI, and the belt system is directly related to the GI. You can be a world class no gi grappler, but a white belt in the GI.

Gi vs No Gi is almost like different sports. All the grips on the gi and chokes and just everything. It's very different.

Belt ranking applies more to how much time you train in a gi, and how you can implement bjj techniques against others in a gi.

Because its better in exploring the technical details and helps give attention to some aspects the instructor would like to emphasize. Most of the preparation should be no gi though.

And not everybody trains martial arts to fight. I take boxing classes 3 times a week fully aware that mma is the way to go to be a complete fighter. I have fun sparring and taking the rare amateur fight.

Depends a lot of who he trains with

He prolly doesn't train in the Gi as often, and most gyms only will give out belts for gi work. A lot of MMA guys will only train no gi because controlling, gripping, and escaping are different in certain aspects in which they won't encounter in MMA

There's black belts and then there's fucking black belts like Maia

When Sonnen started rolling with submission guys he would get brown and purple belts every now and then too, with just a few chokes. A skilled and talented grappler can get deadly fast, and I'm sure he's more than a blue belt.

1 MILLION PERCENT AGREE!

ANYONE that asks this should view this post and make it a part of your thought process.

the only thing that matters in BJJ is how much time you practiced. Some grapplers have spent 15 years practicing BJJ yet never cared to pass their belts and thus are technically white belts, and yet able to sub black belts.

I trained at Couture for years.. I have no belt.. I can tap a sucker!

In pure BJJ rules PB's gonna be hampered by a BB. In any other setting the most U really need is a BJJ PB. Remember it takes 8 or so years to get it where many other arts u get 2 BB in 5 or 6.

There are gyms all over that promote too quickly. So you got shitty Brown and Black belts.

But also just because you are black doesn't mean a blue can't submit you.

Back