For MMA Fighters-Pro or Amateur

gobucks34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 questions, for the smaller amateur/pro organizations, do they run drug tests? how legit is it? Do most people juice up instead of going all natural?

When I worked at GNC, I would get alot of boxers/mma type people coming in for test boosters, asking about HGH etc. These people werent UFC stars or anything, just random local joes in small shows.

Second question, what is your weight class? How much do you cut?

I have 2 questions, for the smaller amateur/pro organizations, do they run drug tests? how legit is it? Do most people juice up instead of going all natural?

When I worked at GNC, I would get alot of boxers/mma type people coming in for test boosters, asking about HGH etc. These people werent UFC stars or anything, just random local joes in small shows.

Second question, what is your weight class? How much do you cut?
(speaking from amateur level)
All the events I've been in. No drug tests. All they care about is that your bloodwork is good and you pass pre-fight examinations.

as far as legit goes, it depends, I've seen guys that claim they had a 0-0 record when they've actually had 6+ fights, and you've got guys that are honest when they are 4-2 or whatnot. Some orgs do check to see if you have previous fights and some don't. My personal opinion is that amateur record doesn't matter for shit because everyone is doing it for experience no matter what the end goal is. I.E. eventual pro or as a hobby.

Weight class... good rule of thumb is to fight in the class right below your natural weight. I walk around at 200ish and cut to 185. I tried 205 and I was fighting guys cutting from 215+ and had a hard time keeping control of the fight and dictating the pace.

Hope it was helpful.

None of my amateur fights had drug testing. I just had my pro debut a week ago and there also was no drug testing. It was a pro/am card so I don't know if that was a factor. They just wanted to make sure I had my physical and blood work taken care of.

I fight 145, cut about 9-10 pounds of water.

Never had any drug tests done for me. I walk around at 150, during camp I get down to about 143 then I lose 3-4 pounds and fight at 140.

Back