Foot on knee to prevent mount from side control.

My instructor tends to discourage it. It's good as a brief stall but I don't like holding it for more than a few seconds. It takes time away from your escapes. When someone goes for it on me I know that I'm nice and comfy in my side control because they're not working an escape. Either that or I go for a toe hold.

I don't think it is a very useful technique. It doesn't really stop the mount in the first place, it reduces hip movement, and it sets up a lot of leg lacing attacks.

That being said, I will certainly raise my near leg off the ground as part of an active knee to elbow shrimp defense. But I'm not just going to prop my foot on my leg statically as some sort of pseudo mount defense.

I agree 100% with Balto, also when I mount I mount using the knee ride first, so that foot on the knee does not hinder the mount attempt in any way whatsoever.

I agree 100% with Balto, also when I mount I mount using the knee ride first, so that foot on the knee does not hinder the mount attempt in any way whatsoever.

Done properly a foot on the foot certainly can stop knee on belly if used in conjunction with my elbow on the same side as well.

Done properly a foot on the foot certainly can stop knee on belly if used in conjunction with my elbow on the same side as well.

If you enter the knee on belly head-on from side control, sure. If you enter it from modified kesa gatame, however, or reverse kesa/North-South, forcing the shin into the crook of the hip isn't very difficult.

I don't see how, you can knee on belly over the top of the arm and slide down, or KOB high on the sternum.

I don't see how, you can knee on belly over the top of the arm and slide down, or KOB high on the sternum.

...And then get swept hard.

If you lift your knee high enough to to go voer my arm, that's all the space i need to escape your sidemount.

If you enter the knee on belly head-on from side control, sure. If you enter it from modified kesa gatame, however, or reverse kesa/North-South, forcing the shin into the crook of the hip isn't very difficult.

maybe, i'm not really sure what "modified" kesa gatme is but nothing in BJJ is 100%.

But I'm not sure how some one would get kob from kesa gatame anyway.

maybe, i'm not really sure what "modified" kesa gatme is but nothing in BJJ is 100%.

But I'm not sure how some one would get kob from kesa gatame anyway.

'Modified' just means with an underhook instead of the judo/wrestling style headlock.

Saulo shows the KOB transition in JJR1, and I was taught it by a black belt at my gym who swears by it, and happens to be a KOB virtuoso. Your underhooking hand posts on the mat by the opponent's far hip, the foot that is posted on the mat stays in place, and you simply do a 'stand up in base' movement, sliding your knee up from his near armpit to his belly or hips (I prefer being all the way down on the hips for stability). Even if his knee is up, you can jam your shin underneath it.

'Modified' just means with an underhook instead of the judo/wrestling style headlock.

Saulo shows the KOB transition in JJR1, and I was taught it by a black belt at my gym who swears by it, and happens to be a KOB virtuoso. Your underhooking hand posts on the mat by the opponent's far hip, the foot that is posted on the mat stays in place, and you simply do a 'stand up in base' movement, sliding your knee up from his near armpit to his belly or hips (I prefer being all the way down on the hips for stability). Even if his knee is up, you can jam your shin underneath it.

Aah I see, although I still don't think this would be easy to do with some one who is using his knee and his arm to block your knee. You're not going to have much room to slide your knee if I keep my arm tight to my knee.

Also When you stand up in base you're creating the necessary space for some one to escape.

i'm far more worried about getting to my side.

or finding a way to deal with whatever way the are trying to control my head and arms. this is where you are gonna get submitted, so in the order of operations, i am more worried about this. looking two steps ahead, not one.

i can almost always feel if they are going to mount and either escape or get half guard at a minimum.

the only time i do this is if someone has such a poor idea of side control that i can use it to force my knee inside cause they are giving up too much space.

i was told as a white belt, the only time you put your foot on your knee like that is when your watching tv:icon_lol:

i was told as a white belt, the only time you put your foot on your knee like that is when your watching tv:icon_lol:

That's pretty much verbatim what De La Riva told me about the position too.

Aah I see, although I still don't think this would be easy to do with some one who is using his knee and his arm to block your knee. You're not going to have much room to slide your knee if I keep my arm tight to my knee.

Also When you stand up in base you're creating the necessary space for some one to escape.

How are you gonna close space with your arm if you are under modified kesa gatame (aka Kuzure Kesa Gatame)

I do it.....when I'm exhausted and being lazy, but still trying to give a half hearted effort.

Simply put, it is the lazy way to do a technique partially correctly.

Raising the leg to "feel" the person is fine. Putting the foot on the knee hasn't led me anywhere useful.

How are you gonna close space with your arm if you are under modified kesa gatame (aka Kuzure Kesa Gatame)

When you go for knee on belly, you're naturally gonna create space which is what I need to get my arm back.

When you go for knee on belly, you're naturally gonna create space which is what I need to get my arm back.

That could probably work, but even if you glue your elbow to your hip to close the space, I can still do KOB on top of your arm. I'm not too concerned with the instep-grab escape - my primary objective from KOB is to get your hands away from your neck anyway, so I can drop into the North-South choke. (I spend way too much time on MGinAction.) But this all boils down to how good you are at escaping vs. how good I am at keeping and transitioning from KOB. The modified scarf entry works like a charm, though. As does launching into KOB from North-South/reverse scarf. Again, the instructor who taught it to me does it to everyone.

That could probably work, but even if you glue your elbow to your hip to close the space, I can still do KOB on top of your arm. I'm not too concerned with the instep-grab escape - my primary objective from KOB is to get your hands away from your neck anyway, so I can drop into the North-South choke. (I spend way too much time on MGinAction.) But this all boils down to how good you are at escaping vs. how good I am at keeping and transitioning from KOB. The modified scarf entry works like a charm, though. As does launching into KOB from North-South/reverse scarf. Again, the instructor who taught it to me does it to everyone.

If you go over my arm, I'd probably try to roll and sweep rather than grab the instep. In fact I never grab the instep. I remember a seminar with Octavia Couto who tol me to cup the ankle instead of the instep and it's something that's worked for me ever since.

I agree it's definitely skill vs skill at this point.

Nice we got some cool BJJ Chess match going on in here over the internet. I dig it! Alot of good talk in here in regards to this issue. I almost didn't click this thread cause i didn't think anything useful would be in here......

I was wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back