Follow-up counter after slipping?

SureDawgNube

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Can anyone point to a video or diagrams illustrating follow-up counters after slipping a jab or cross? It's for shadow-boxing. The following are shadow boxing drill combos I assembled, some from watching youtube, others just made up, and others from modifying drills from youtube. I admit that some might no be realistic.

Slip a jab or cross
Upper cut
Hook

Slip a jab or cross
Hook
Upper cut

Slip a jab
Cross
Hook
Cross

Slip a cross
Hook
Cross
Hook

Slip a cross
Roll head + lead hook to body
Right hook head

Slip a jab
Right hook to body
Lead hook head

Slip a jab
Upper cut
Hook
Cross

Slip a cross
Upper cut
Cross
Hook

^^^ Pretty good write up/examples. I look forward to reading more.

@"a guy": Cool article. Almost looks scientific or academic in its analytical breakdown. I only looked at slips, not pulls or ducks/weaves. I acctually find each one of these complicated and subtle, so just one category of evasion is good enough for me for now (and probably for a good long time, since I only train in shadow boxing and not interactively).

You said to remember simultaneous counters. I actually have that as a separate set of drills (in orthodox stance, same as original post, though it wasn't articulated). Mongoosemk12 said he doesn't mind seeing more, so I've listed them below, for all to see and critique.

I adopted conventions to make it easier to codify and record the drills. In each of the following combos, the first punch is simultaneous with a slip. "Hi" means a high punch to the head; no specific target, but I acknowledge that the forehead has least likelihood of breaking one's hand (it's smooth rather than bony). "Lo" means low (relatively), e.g., solar plexus. However, if it is a jab low, it is more of a distraction and set up for the following cross. Also, if slipping a jab, the back (right) hand may sort-of assist with a parry. If slipping a cross, the lead hand definitely parries. These parrying "rules" are simply made up based on what seems sensible.

The drills are abominations of karate and boxing from kick-boxing. The motivation wasn't to remember the specific combo, but rather, to foster muscle memory to switch between high/low counters and jab/hook finishing punches. Funny thing is, since the initial slip is similar to a move for an offensive jab, the drill patterns match exactly my drills for jab/cross without a slip.

(Combo #1: Slip a jab, cross, jab/hook)
Jab hi, cross lo, jab hi
Jab hi, cross hi, jab hi
Jab lo, cross hi, jab hi
Repeat, but finish with hooks instead of jabs

(Combo #2: slip a cross with lead block + Cross, then jab/hook)
Karate lead arm inward block + Cross hi, jab hi
Karate lead arm outward block + Cross hi, jab hi
Karate lead arm inward block + Cross lo, jab hi
Karate lead arm outward block + Cross lo, jab hi
Karate lead arm inward block + Cross lo, backfist, cross hi/lo, jab hi
Repeat, finish with hooks instead of jabs

(Combo #3: Slip a jab with a double jab, cross, jab/hook)
Jab hi, jab hi, cross lo, jab hi
Jab hi, jab hi, cross hi, jab hi
Jab lo, jab lo, cross hi, jab hi
Jab hi, jab lo, cross hi, jab hi
Jab lo, jab hi, cross lo, jab hi
Repeat, finish with hooks instead of jabs

In the middle set (with Karate block), the "+" implies simultaneous block and counter wth reverse punch. I acknowledge that such simultaneity isn't very "Karate".

In the final set, the double-jab-lo (middle of set) is more for pedagogical reasons, i.e., to keep mentally agile to adapt targeting. I don't really expect a slip with a double-jab-lo to be the most sensible response in many situations.

There's actually a Combo #4 to counter hooks, but it's hard to describe, and it requires more movement than the standard planting of one's fist to one's ear. I'm not sure how realistic it is, so it's just pedagogical for now ("now" meaning for countless years).

The best way to learn slips and counters is with a coach holding pads or partnered drills. I have not tried the the light shadow box spar as I am not home with my friends practicing atm.

I love to drill with my friends slips and counters and I am pretty good at slip a jab and body jab and then create a good outside angle for anything really. However I am bad with countering with my right with an inside slip.

I like that you are ending your combos with a lead hit which leaves you in your natural stance to defend. I like how you are changing high low high. That is a good striking to begin with.

I agree that the best way to drill is live interaction. But my days of serious training are over. Just trying to keep some vestige of training, incorporating shadow boxing into a roster of different fitness regimes. And trying not to get sloppy with it.

Would anyone be able to comment on the practicality of the combos in my original post? One of the things that got me posting was that the follow-up to slipping a jab is an upper-cut or a hook (with the non-lead hand -- sorry I didn't clarify that). Wondering if the fact that you're on the outside makes that more of a pipe dream. Thanks.

Back