Flyweight is a failure

The division is quite new, so it might have less depth than other divisions.

Also, as fellow sherdoggers stated, the current champion has been so dominant that he makes the others looks like cans

Its not because its new, its because the talent pool is just that low and ALWAYS will be.

There is plenty of amateur wrestlers in the 121 or 125 lbs categories, those were the lowest Olympic weights. But by the time any one of those amateurs transition to MMA, if they ever do, they'd probably go for the BW or FW divisions. 125 cannot work in MMA; add to that i dont even see the UFC hiring many Asian fighters who are ideal for that weight-class. They need to increase it to 130 lb, and LW to 160 lb, and do the same for BW and FW. That's the only thing that can help the FLW division.

What people doesn't understand about FLW is how young that weight class is. Their oldest fighters are 33 years old with Joe B, Reis and Moraga. This is the average HW age, ffs. And fight age speaking, they're young aswell, while HWs are usually dinosaurs.

Pantoja - 27y old
Smolka, Sanchez and Shelton - 26y old
Scoggins and Nicolau - 25y old
Pettis, Borg, Moreno and Brooks - 24y old
Morales - 23y old
Inoue - 20y old

These guys are all well rounded already and give them all 2 or 3 years and they will be all killers. Borg, Pettis and Moreno already are. Nicolau and Pantoja are catching up.
This is Sherdog, where people suck if you haven’t heard of them.

Its not because its new, its because the talent pool is just that low and ALWAYS will be.

There is plenty of amateur wrestlers in the 121 or 125 lbs categories, those were the lowest Olympic weights. But by the time any one of those amateurs transition to MMA, if they ever do, they'd probably go for the BW or FW divisions. 125 cannot work in MMA; add to that i dont even see the UFC hiring many Asian fighters who are ideal for that weight-class. They need to increase it to 130 lb, and LW to 160 lb, and do the same for BW and FW. That's the only thing that can help the FLW division.
Like that Olympic gold medalist Cejudo?

Like that Olympic gold medalist Cejudo?

Its just going to be him and DJ, a division of 2....try to think broader, smartass. I'm talking about size of talent pool. Cejudo competed at 121, so going up to 125 wasn't off. They got rid of 121 and its now 125 in wrestling, so you can expect those guys to compete at 130/135 ish if they transition to MMA.

Its just going to be him and DJ, a division of 2....try to think broader, smartass. I'm talking about size of talent pool. Cejudo competed at 121, so going up to 125 wasn't off. They got rid of 121 and its now 125 in wrestling, so you can expect those guys to compete at 130/135 ish if they transition to MMA.
Just because you haven’t heard of guys doesn’t mean they aren’t good. It’s a fairly healthy division with a lot of skilled fighters.

Just because you haven’t heard of guys doesn’t mean they aren’t good. It’s a fairly healthy division with a lot of skilled fighters.

They wouldn't even hire Hiromasa who made it to TUF flyweight finals, and IMO was the MVP of that season.

It would be more skilled if they moved it to 130, and you have a dramatic increase in competition.

Edit: "It’s a fairly healthy division with a lot of skilled fighters."

That's a complete non-sequitur. Never once said they're not skilled. Its a small talent POOL and always will be.

Last edited:
They wouldn't even hire Hiromasa who made it to TUF flyweight finals, and IMO was the MVP of that season.

It would be more skilled if they moved it to 130, and you have a dramatic increase in competition.
No. DJ already is small to 125, no need to let even bigger guys compete against him and other people really small that cuts something like 15 lbs to make 125.

No. DJ already is small to 125, no need to let even bigger guys compete against him and other people really small that cuts something like 15 lbs to make 125.

You're just proving the sentiment that FLW right now is a division catered to one (or a few to be accurate). The competition pool just doesn't work for 125 at MMA. It needs to go to 130.

As for the bigger guys cutting, they'll need to make a choice between 130 or 140 (assuming you take up my proposition of moving all the celings by 5 lbs, all the way upto LW; i.e., 130/140/150/160/170). This is the best-available solution to problems in 2 divisions.

What people doesn't understand about FLW is how young that weight class is. Their oldest fighters are 33 years old with Joe B, Reis and Moraga. This is the average HW age, ffs. And fight age speaking, they're young aswell, while HWs are usually dinosaurs.

Pantoja - 27y old
Smolka, Sanchez and Shelton - 26y old
Scoggins and Nicolau - 25y old
Pettis, Borg, Moreno and Brooks - 24y old
Morales - 23y old
Inoue - 20y old

These guys are all well rounded already and give them all 2 or 3 years and they will be all killers. Borg, Pettis and Moreno already are. Nicolau and Pantoja are catching up.
Pettis is not a killer. Not even a little bit. I'd venture to say he is worse than his brother, who is seemingly a shell of his former self.

Dude got tapped by Alex Caceres, who isn't even UFC calibre.

UFC's Flyweight division is a failure. You have MM and Benavidez, Cejudo. Thats all. The PPV buyrate is horrible. It should be merged with BW.
This is why UFC is having TJ fight DJ: to make 25 fully irrelevant, fold it in . to 35 and sell off the manlets to Teh Bellator.

UFC's Flyweight division is a failure. You have MM and Benavidez, Cejudo. Thats all. The PPV buyrate is horrible. It should be merged with BW.
You think BW is a failure because you're just a casual fan and manlet hater, who can't appreciate MMA

(Sarcasm)

seems like it was a move for political correctness's sake and to simulate that ufc is a real sport
imagine Olympic mma and the Olympic commission saying like I know usually the 1 and 2 ranked fighters fight for the gold medal but I like number 10 better, he's a solid dude. hell be fighting for the gold now

Pettis is not a killer. Not even a little bit. I'd venture to say he is worse than his brother, who is seemingly a shell of his former self.

Dude got tapped by Alex Caceres, who isn't even UFC calibre.
4 years ago when he was 20 years old. Sergio put a striking clinic on Moreno, Moraga and Cariaso.. 2 former title challengers. He's more technical than his brother.

You're just proving the sentiment that FLW right now is a division catered to one (or a few to be accurate). The competition pool just doesn't work for 125 at MMA. It needs to go to 130.

As for the bigger guys cutting, they'll need to make a choice between 130 or 140 (assuming you take up my proposition of moving all the celings by 5 lbs, all the way upto LW; i.e., 130/140/150/160/170). This is the best-available solution to problems in 2 divisions.
1. it won't go to 130, that wouldn't help and i've no doubt about it
2. FLW is becoming more and more exciting and competitive, while LHW and HW are on a huge declinee, and at Asia there's many prospects to UFC sign at FLW
3. they won't do that, it has been 135/145/155 for years and there's absolutely zero chance to change it and have many guys having problems to adapt their bodies to the new weight

4 years ago when he was 20 years old. Sergio put a striking clinic on Moreno, Moraga and Cariaso.. 2 former title challengers. He's more technical than his brother.

Former title challengers that only got titleshots because of how shallow FLW is.

Cariaso is not a top-tier fighter at all. Moraga is 2-3 in his last 5. Cariaso hasn't won a fight since losing to DJ. He beat nobodies and got a split decision over Smolka to get a TS....... think about that.

Anthony is definitely still the better Pettis.

Back