Floyd is the greatest, Ali is the most inspirational.

Foreman is the greatest. Ali is the most inspirational.

Floyd is in the top 5 no doubt. Ali is probably the most inspirational iconic boxer of all-time. In fact Ali is probably the most iconic athlete of all-time imo.

Last edited:
Ali almost lost the third fight with Frazier because of the temperature. When the fight was over, he collapsed from exhaustion.

Joe on the other hand had such legendary conditioning that he wasn't really as badly impacted by it, his problem was that he couldn't see because Ali had closed his one good eye.

Anyway, as far as Floyd goes, it just felt like we missed out on those legendary fights at their peak because of the greed of all the parties involved. Floyd vs Pac by all accounts should have been a legendary fight, but it had lost a lot of interest after Pacquiao had already been smoked by Marquez.

It's like if Sugar Ray Leonard had beaten Duran after he had been faceplanted by Hearns, it just wasn't the same.
Cos he didn't implemented tactique like Foreman had used vs Frazier.
He allowed Frazier to take comfortable for Frazier positions and had to ate damn a lot.....

Frazier is damaging type boxer ....
Foreman no.

Most damages Ali had from Frazier and Shavers. Especially from Frazier.

More than this, to fight vs Frazier for Ali was dangerous because there Frazier really had motivation .....to apply permanent damage.
Ali when had suspended boxing license received financial assistance from Frazier.
When they attempted to sell tickets .....Ali insulted him like ....racist....
Uncle Tom is book about slavery....

is dis a troll post? somone tel me before i reply.

Don was skilled and with talent....Do you think that there was coincidence that 2 big fights he had managed to do in location where peanuts might be collected from tickets sales?

Boxing promoters and managers usually are very smart ppl.
I assume it was because the Zaire and Philippine dictators paid a lot of money, more than enough to cover the loss in tickets sales revenue.

And those tickets sales losses weren't as painful because of TV revenues anyway. Both "Rumble in the Jungle" and "Thrilla in Manila" generated a lot more profits and bigger purses for the boxers than the prior record holder the "Fight of the Century" (which was held in the US).

I assume it was because the Zaire and Philippine dictators paid a lot of money, more than enough to cover the loss in tickets sales revenue.

And those tickets sales losses weren't as painful because of TV revenues anyway. Both "Rumble in the Jungle" and "Thrilla in Manila" generated a lot more profits and bigger purses for the boxers than the prior record holder the "Fight of the Century" (which was held in the US).
my impression of the wacky locales for ali fights was that some asshole dictator just wanted some good press and wasn't trying to turn a profit. Mobutu and Marcos were dictators trying to get on the world stage, both ended up exiled. The other places like kuala lumpur, japan, ireland etc.., probably weren't like that but I don't know. One thing cool about Ali was that even in the 60's he was willing to go anywhere on earth in search of a man who could beat him, there were none but he'd gladly go to germany and england.

is dis a troll post? somone tel me before i reply.
I don't troll brother, you know that. I gave Ali his due by acknowledging his transcendence outside of the ring and his greatness in it. But if we're just objectively talking about boxing, without reference to other non-boxing factors, then the obvious conclusion is Floyd > Ali. Hell, if we are being all the way truthful I could make the argument that Pacquiao is neck-and-neck with Ali on a legitimate ATG list.

As matter of fact, you could make a better case for Pacquiao being the goat than Ali: He won titles across 8 weight classes, was a lineal champion across 5 weight classes, was a champion in four different decades (1990s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s), and if you divide his career in half both halves would be HOF worthy (Pacquiao from 1995-2008 is HOF worthy and Pacquiao from 2009-2021 is HOF worthy).

At this point, any reference to Ali being the GOAT is done out of respect, which is fine because he truly was a great man all around and the most inspirational boxer (arguably athlete) ever. But it's pretty damn obvious he wasn't the best.

I don't troll brother, you know that. I gave Ali his due by acknowledging his transcendence outside of the ring and his greatness in it. But if we're just objectively talking about boxing, without reference to other non-boxing factors, then the obvious conclusion is Floyd > Ali. Hell, if we are being all the way truthful I could make the argument that Pacquiao is neck-and-neck with Ali on a legitimate ATG list.

As matter of fact, you could make a better case for Pacquiao being the goat than Ali: He won titles across 8 weight classes, was a lineal champion across 5 weight classes, was a champion in four different decades (1990s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s), and if you divide his career in half both halves would be HOF worthy (Pacquiao from 1995-2008 is HOF worthy and Pacquiao from 2009-2021 is HOF worthy).

At this point, any reference to Ali being the GOAT is done out of respect, which is fine because he truly was a great man all around and the most inspirational boxer (arguably athlete) ever. But it's pretty damn obvious he wasn't the best.
ok, just checking brother.

my impression of the wacky locales for ali fights was that some asshole dictator just wanted some good press and wasn't trying to turn a profit. Mobutu and Marcos were dictators trying to get on the world stage, both ended up exiled. The other places like kuala lumpur, japan, ireland etc.., probably weren't like that but I don't know. One thing cool about Ali was that even in the 60's he was willing to go anywhere on earth in search of a man who could beat him, there were none but he'd gladly go to germany and england.
I feel that in the past they were more open to having title fights in various places. Foreman-Frazier I was in Jamaica, Foreman-Norton was in Venezuela. Tyson-Douglas was in Japan. Now it's all either Vegas or MSG for the big American fights, or the local capitals for the foreign stars (London for the British, Berlin for the Klitschkos, Japan for the Japanese and so on).

Back