Floyd is the greatest, Ali is the most inspirational.

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I hate getting into these goat debates because most of the time it's subjective with no obvious answer to point to. But I feel like in boxing there really isn't much of a debate. Floyd is hands down the GOAT of boxing. I feel like when people mention Ali as the goat they are basically doing it out of respect because he was such a monumental figure, not just in boxing but in American history. He was only one of a handful of athletes who became more important because of what he did outside of his sport than within it. But if we're just talking in-ring accolades then there is no debate Floyd > Ali.

So the fairies way I can put it that doesn't minimize Ali for the great man he was is to say : Floyd is the greatest, Ali is the most inspirational.

By the way, if we're just talking about being a man and a human being of general worth then it's Ali>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Floyd

My impression is that most people who think Floyd is the GOAT were not alive for other eras of boxing, for example the 80s. Greats like Duran, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, etc. had to deal with multiple other great fighters during their day. Floyd was undoubtedly a great fighter, but this is not true of his career.

Maybe he would have done well against those guys, but I have my doubts; he is at minimum less proven than them. I think he would run into hard matchups for himself that he has never had in this time period- I think he would struggle badly with prime Duran.

Now compared to the guy who beat everyone in the greatest HW era of all time? No. Again, I counter that Ali is a guy that proved himself against greater competition than Floyd by a mile. Champs Ali beat:
Sonny Liston
Floyd Patterson
Archie Moore
Ernie Terrell
Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Leon Spinks

Last edited:
Floyd is 5 and 0 in beating his wimmenz, with 5 convictions. Ali wins.

There are shadows for Ali too.
Don had knew that Ali is more durable in hot climate than Foreman and Frazier. Therefore tackled them to fight vs Ali in Zaire and Manila....despite income from live gates in these locations weren't comparable with money 🤑 that might had been earned if these fights had been done in U.S or U.K.
Also Don ensured that Foreman didn't had get rematch and so on.

While Ali was Olympic Gold 🥇 medalist and his wins vs Liston and Patterson were impressive....

nope

Boxing has a 100 years of history across more weight classes than the average person realizes. Most people who say Floyd is the GOAT do not really realize the depth of what they're saying.

I hate getting into these goat debates because most of the time it's subjective with no obvious answer to point to. But I feel like in boxing there really isn't much of a debate. Floyd is hands down the GOAT of boxing. I feel like when people mention Ali as the goat they are basically doing it out of respect because he was such a monumental figure, not just in boxing but in American history. He was only one of a handful of athletes who became more important because of what he did outside of his sport than within it. But if we're just talking in-ring accolades then there is no debate Floyd > Ali.

So the fairies way I can put it that doesn't minimize Ali for the great man he was is to say : Floyd is the greatest, Ali is the most inspirational.

By the way, if we're just talking about being a man and a human being of general worth then it's Ali>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Floyd

You really need to stop making threads dude.
This is the dumbest shit I have ever read.

Sugar Ray Robinson is the best, and Floyd is a clown.

Don had knew that Ali is more durable in hot climate than Foreman and Frazier.
How did he know that? Especially for Frazier. IIRC Frazier was considered over the hill by that time anyway, and people didn't expect him to be a threat.

How did he know that? Especially for Frazier. IIRC Frazier was considered over the hill by that time anyway, and people didn't expect him to be a threat.
Don was skilled and with talent....Do you think that there was coincidence that 2 big fights he had managed to do in location where peanuts might be collected from tickets sales?

Boxing promoters and managers usually are very smart ppl.

Don ofc had also mistakes: Frazier was damaging type of boxer and he....yup, took health ....

Foreman was different story. Yeah, he might KO but .....

Additional mistake done by Don IMHO was that he promoted holy 0 in pro boxers records.

Listen, there is my prospect and he is UNDEFEATED!!!!!
Don before fight Nigel vs Gerald.

It wasn't Floyd who started to cultivate value of 0 in pro boxers records.

Don was skilled and with talent....Do you think that there was coincidence that 2 big fights he had managed to do in location where peanuts might be collected from tickets sales?

Boxing promoters and managers usually are very smart ppl.
Those countries paid for those fights to be there. It wasn't done because Ali is better in hot weather, that doesn't make sense as they could have just had those fights in America then.

Those countries paid for those fights to be there. It wasn't done because Ali is better in hot weather, that doesn't make sense as they could have just had those fights in America then.
Ofc doesn't makes sense for you.
Like stuff that Don never had allowed rematch vs Foreman etc.

Yeah....
Main income from these was cos TV deals.
Zaire dictator ofc paid $ and they didn't had even proper boxing commission.
Manila: big money from mass media, otherwise.....peanuts.

Ofc doesn't makes sense for you.
Like stuff that Don never had allowed rematch vs Foreman etc.

Yeah....
Main income from these was cos TV deals.
Zaire dictator ofc paid $ and they didn't had even proper boxing commission.
Manila: big money from mass media, otherwise.....peanuts.

Yes...obviously it was on TV so that's where it made most of its money. That isn't contradictory to my statement nor does it support your theory. The fact that most of its money is from TV is why he did not care about ticket sales - the money that was paid to them from Congo covered the purses (80 million dollars in today's money, which is amazing and we're already in an age where entertainment brings in significantly more money than back then).

They did not host it in Manila because they thought Ali would beat Foremen in Manila. That is dumb, nor does that even show any type of intelligence. Predicting who would win in a fight has nothing to do with intellect regardless, and it wouldn't be "smart" to gamble on that.

You didn't even point out why they would have to go to a "poor" country to have them fight in heat. Are you unaware that developed countries are hot, including the United States? Las Vegas is hotter than those places...

Why would they fight in Manila and not Taiwan, Singapore, Macau or Hong Kong? They're in the same climate and are more developed and have more foreign friendly economies. Why not Australia? The Mediterranean? South Africa? Argument makes no sense.

Do you really think if you submitted what you said to like a professor or something they would sit there and be like "yes, this argument is well supported, has evidence, and no holes". It's totally baseless, uses an incredible amount of conjecture, motive is poorly thought out, conspiracy theory thinking, etc.

Last edited:
Yes...obviously it was on TV so that's where it made most of its money. That isn't contradictory to my statement nor does it support your theory. The fact that most of its money is from TV is why he did not care about ticket sales - the money that was paid to them from Congo covered the purses (80 million dollars in today's money, which is amazing and we're already in an age where entertainment brings in significantly more money than back then).

They did not host it in Manila because they thought Ali would beat Foremen in Manila. That is dumb, nor does that even show any type of intelligence. Predicting who would win in a fight has nothing to do with intellect regardless, and it wouldn't be "smart" to gamble on that.

You didn't even point out why they would have to go to a "poor" country to have them fight in heat. Are you unaware that developed countries are hot, including the United States? Las Vegas is hotter than those places...

Why would they fight in Manila and not Taiwan, Singapore, Macau or Hong Kong? They're in the same climate and are more developed and have more foreign friendly economies. Why not Australia? The Mediterranean? South Africa? Argument makes no sense.

Do you really think if you submitted what you said to like a professor or something they would sit there and be like "yes, this argument is well supported, has evidence, and no holes". It's totally baseless, uses an incredible amount of conjecture, motive is poorly thought out, conspiracy theory thinking, etc.
Ali didn't had rematch vs Foreman.
In Manila he had fight vs Frazier.

Ali almost lost the third fight with Frazier because of the temperature. When the fight was over, he collapsed from exhaustion.

Joe on the other hand had such legendary conditioning that he wasn't really as badly impacted by it, his problem was that he couldn't see because Ali had closed his one good eye.

Anyway, as far as Floyd goes, it just felt like we missed out on those legendary fights at their peak because of the greed of all the parties involved. Floyd vs Pac by all accounts should have been a legendary fight, but it had lost a lot of interest after Pacquiao had already been smoked by Marquez.

It's like if Sugar Ray Leonard had beaten Duran after he had been faceplanted by Hearns, it just wasn't the same.

Back