Flexibility training?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by LRL, Aug 8, 2017.

1. LRL White Belt

LRL
    I've solely been a boxer for about 2.5years now and looking to take up a couple of other martial arts, however I would like too start working on my leg flexibility now rather than later. When I say leg flexibility I'm talking about exercises that will eventually allow me to perform a full range of kicks.

Cheers.

Fahcough likes this.
  2. ngarauru nga ariki o nga kahui maunga

ngarauru
    ballistic stretching after a light jog then practice your kicks with good form

LRL and Sano like this.
  3. quantiqus Green Belt

quantiqus
    I tried this.

I didn't try this.

LRL likes this.
  4. TheBookofSpeed White Belt

TheBookofSpeed
    NEVER use ballistic stretching. EVER! Dynamic stretching is great. Ballistic stretching is a recipe for injury.

Ballistic stretching is the act of swinging a limb fast and uncontrolled. Dynamic stretching is swinging the limb with control and possibly a hand held at the target maximum point to engage conscious preconception to prevent movement beyond your safe range of motion.

Here are the basics to flexibility with no loss of explosiveness:
    1. Good light cardio warm-up.
    2. Dynamic stretching (not ballistic).
    3. Your typical workout.
    4. Static stretching during your cool down.
    5. Add isometric or PNF stretching (allow adequate recovery time just like strength training).

Most medical studies now agree that static stretching before a performance reduces explosiveness and increases injuries. PNF and isometric stretches fatigue the muscles by design so they belong after your workout or performance. Ballistic stretches are just plain dangerous.

That's my opinion.

5. CamMan14 White Belt

CamMan14
    Ballistic stretching is dangerous indeed. Ballistic strething muscles by forcing them passed your normal range of motion. Very dangerous as tears can happen within muscles and ligaments.
    Dynamic stretching is the way to go, this involves slowly moving through a range of motion, not going passed your maximum stretch.

TheBookofSpeed likes this.