• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Fish Oil May Increase Risk of Heart Issues and Stroke

Its disturbing how people believe anything on the internet. It wasn't long ago that making statements like this based on one "study" was unheard of because it wasn't validated.

The study analyzed data on over 415,000 people ages 40 to 69 participating in the UK Biobank, a longitudinal study of the health of people in the United Kingdom. Nearly one-third of those people, who were followed for an average of 12 years, said they regularly used fish oil supplements.
In other words, this many not mean much.

We're taking people at their word, and we may be doing nothing more than establishing a correlation to affluence.

Its disturbing how people believe anything on the internet. It wasn't long ago that making statements like this based on one "study" was unheard of because it wasn't validated.
I had a buddy of mine who stopped eating apples because he came across an article online saying that apples are actually bad for you... Some men you just cant reach.

My doctor just suggested I take fish oil/omega 3’s for high triglycerides. I’m not a big believer in supplements but I’ll experiment. If my #’s drop after 12 months I have some answers.

Yeah I take it daily. I don't have a heart flutter (yet) as far as I know. I just had bloodwork done and I try to walk around 10k steps daily <Fedor23>

I am on a statin. The statin lowered my good cholesterol as well as bad. I added Omega 3 Fish oil 1200mg pills, once in AM once in PM. My good cholesterol went up to healthy levels, my triglycerides went down to healthy levels. My blood work and heart are great. Unless you eat high omega 3 laden fish 3-4x a week I suggest Fish Oil to everyone.

This all day, if only people knew how that rancid oil is extracted the quality of the fish.
That was my thought too, but sometimes it’s hard to be sure of the quality of the fish. Wild salmon, definitely. But that farm-raised crap? Oof.

That was my thought too, but sometimes it’s hard to be sure of the quality of the fish. Wild salmon, definitely. But that farm-raised crap? Oof.

Wild salmon is like night and day next to the farmed crap it doesn't even look the same..... Just try to minimize your in take of farmed fish, buy whole fresh fish you can see how fresh it is and you can check how healthy it looks, gut it yourself and check the organs and gills.

I like EPA/DHA. I find it helpful for a stomach condition I have. For awhile i was taking a good amount of EPA/DHA. Now though I only take a little.

The debate over fish oils goes back and forth. I've seen study mentions saying it is good for brain and heart health. And now this saying it is bad for both. Hard to say what is the truth.

Probably the larger cause of vascular health issues is stress and its effects upon the nervous system. I doubt fish oil will do much to help with the nervous system. Not that long ago I read a book by a doctor saying he stopped his patients from experiencing heart attacks by using de-stressing methods and a few supplements that improve the nervous system. Not exactly a study but I found it interesting.

Back