First (probably last) meet question

cincymma79

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So signed up for January and it's at my gym, so no escape now.

To repeat my goals
400 bench
500 squat (no wraps)
600 deadlift

If I don't hit those I wasted my time. How should I set up my attempts? I was thinking something easy first obviously and then jump to those numbers. Follow those up with pr attempts for my third. I've hit all those in practice already, over that actually (though sans pause on the bench).

Before the inevitable why only one meet question is asked: because I am too old, don't really care that much and I'm never going pro or even coming close. If I wanted to do that I should've started 20 years ago. Though if someone can help me figure out how to balance the squatting out maybe I'll hang on a little longer. Can't do the high volume stuff, knees swell up and hurt for a week afterward. High weight low reps? Feel like I can keep going on the deadlift and bench though.

Make your squat opener pretty light. If you're set on hitting those numbers I would go something like 440/475/500, 350/380/400, 530/570/600. Those are just rough numbers that I would choose for my attempts. Best advice I can give you is make your openers light and don't make huge jumps that you're not used to.

And get over this mindset.
I see your point but this isn't something I plan on making a regular thing. One maybe two of these things and I'm good. I'm not travelling to these things or paying to compete. Other than hitting these numbers officially once this isn't my life's work or something. I'll hit them as easily as I have in practice hopefully. Just trying to figure out the best approach to meets

I had sort of similar goals my first meet. Here were my lifts:

Squat: 465, 518 (failed), 518 (got it)
Bench: 365, 385, 402
Deadlift: 545, 600, 617

Just don't bomb out. That's how I did it, my goal was 1500+ and I got it so I was happy and even placed. Was a little upset was squat as I had hit 535 in training so the plan was 465, 518 then like 550 for a new PR but I fucked up my form and i paid for it on my 2nd attempt.

And get over this mindset.

Exactly. Go in and do your best and have fun. People will be encouraging, network and make new friends. Meets are a good time.

If you go in with that mindset then this won't be your last meet as you'll have a great time and get addicted like most all powerlifters.

Exactly. Go in and do your best and have fun. People will be encouraging, network and make new friends. Meets are a good time.

If you go in with that mindset then this won't be your last meet as you'll have a great time and get addicted like most all powerlifters.

I could do push pull maybe but the squats aren't agreeing with my knees. Getting an MRI this coming week. Possible torn meniscus. Bunch of arthritis in the left knee, but that isn't really treatable so not a concern. We'll see if I'm ruled out altogether, but if I get to go and do everything this is probably my last ride. Figure I can bench if nothing else

I had sort of similar goals my first meet. Here were my lifts:

Squat: 465, 518 (failed), 518 (got it)
Bench: 365, 385, 402
Deadlift: 545, 600, 617

Just don't bomb out. That's how I did it, my goal was 1500+ and I got it so I was happy and even placed. Was a little upset was squat as I had hit 535 in training so the plan was 465, 518 then like 550 for a new PR but I fucked up my form and i paid for it on my 2nd attempt.
Look like a solid plan. I was thinking of hitting the goals on lift 2 then go for somethig new. If I fail go again. Bad idea?

Look like a solid plan. I was thinking of hitting the goals on lift 2 then go for somethig new. If I fail go again. Bad idea?

It's really up to you. Those numbers were from my first meet and I wanted to hit as many lifts as possible so I didn't go crazy. But, a lot of guys do what your saying 1st attempt easy, 2nd your max, 3rd go for a new PR. It's up to you and how your body feels.

It's really up to you. Those numbers were from my first meet and I wanted to hit as many lifts as possible so I didn't go crazy. But, a lot of guys do what your saying 1st attempt easy, 2nd your max, 3rd go for a new PR. It's up to you and how your body feels.
Fuck that soft shit. If this is going to be the only meet you ever do, go all out. Don't fail.

Fuck that soft shit. If this is going to be the only meet you ever do, go all out. Don't fail.
It probably is. Never say never, but my knees aren't digging it. I'm 38 after all.i ll keep lifting but meets and all that stuff wont be my focus

It probably is. Never say never, but my knees aren't digging it. I'm 38 after all.i ll keep lifting but meets and all that stuff wont be my focus

38 is still very young in the powerlifting world. Some lifters even peak after that age. Look at David Ricks (although I think he's past his prime). He's in his mid 50s and almost beat Jesse Norris (albeit, on a bad day) at USAPL raw nationals. At the end though it's up to you, but age is no excuse.

I have no idea how your training is going and what you are currently doing in comparison to your goal numbers. However since you are hitting those numbers in training and I'm assuming you plan to peak for the meet I think your plan to hit them on your second with a PR attempt on your third is fine. Great thing about raw lifting is that you can easily gauge it as you get very close to meet day. I've changed openers, 2nd/3rd attempts many times during the actual meet/lifting. If you have a coach and trust him/her you can always have them handle your numbers.

Good luck and have fun.

I second what boingyman said, and wanted to add that the winner of the 120kg class at raw nats was 50+ as well.

38 is still very young in the powerlifting world. Some lifters even peak after that age. Look at David Ricks (although I think he's past his prime). He's in his mid 50s and almost beat Jesse Norris (albeit, on a bad day) at USAPL raw nationals. At the end though it's up to you, but age is no excuse.

I have no idea how your training is going and what you are currently doing in comparison to your goal numbers. However since you are hitting those numbers in training and I'm assuming you plan to peak for the meet I think your plan to hit them on your second with a PR attempt on your third is fine. Great thing about raw lifting is that you can easily gauge it as you get very close to meet day. I've changed openers, 2nd/3rd attempts many times during the actual meet/lifting. If you have a coach and trust him/her you can always have them handle your numbers.

Good luck and have fun.
I've got the squat and the deadlift no problem, but the bench I have not hit paused yet

85 to compete AND a random drug test that if selected I have to pay for? Maybe it's the Jewish side of the family coming out but jeez. Bjj tourneys were about the same but I didn't have to pay for tests. I thought it was bullshit when I had to pay to fight as an amateur and they sold tickets to it. Cest le vie I guess

So left knee is rough on the MRI
Loose bodies
Meniscal tear (small)
Extensive arthritis

Yikes

Said I can get an injection to hold me over but I should consider other athletic pursuits

Back