First Kung Fu Master In America?

There's probably a forum for this. If there isn't a forum for traditional martial arts, there should be. That said, this isn't a UFC question. If you're asking about the first kung fu fighters in the UFC, I think that would be Jason Delucia and Scott Baker (both Wing Chun guys) in UFC 2. Delucia had also studied with the Gracies and won by submission. Baker did pretty well defending himself on the ground for almost 7 minutes, allegedly with "Wing Chun" principles since he had zero grappling background.

The early wave of Chinese immigrants were weird. They were willing to mix with white people. They married Irish and black women. I think it's because Irish were considered colored back then and Chinese women weren't really allowed to migrate to America under some prostitution law.
Lol at the whitest people out there not considered white.

There's probably a forum for this. If there isn't a forum for traditional martial arts, there should be. That said, this isn't a UFC question. If you're asking about the first kung fu fighters in the UFC, I think that would be Jason Delucia and Scott Baker (both Wing Chun guys) in UFC 2. Delucia had also studied with the Gracies and won by submission. Baker did pretty well defending himself on the ground for almost 7 minutes, allegedly with "Wing Chun" principles since he had zero grappling background.
This is an Ogata thread. You'll get used to it.

Likely mentioned before; the first KungFu masters to arrive in America were among the migrants of the 1800, however they only trained other Chinese (mostly triads and various tough guys) so KungFu remained largely underground and unknown in America until the 60s and 70s. Even then, the teachers who opened up to any student were often shunned and even threatened by the Chinese martial arts community. Late 70s and then throughout the 80s is when it became popular.

Who popularized it? Bruce Lee in the 70s. After enter the dragon, everyone was walking around in a gi, brother.
Who is the actual first shaolin kung fu monk to teach in the US?

Shifu Shi Yan Ming was the first to bring Shaolin kung fu to the United States officially. Trained as a Shaolin Temple Warrior Monk in China, he was on a tour of the US in 1992 when he defected. By 1994, he had moved to New York City where he opened USA Shaolin Temple and began training students, including the Wu-Tang Clan.

Who popularized it? Bruce Lee in the 70s. After enter the dragon, everyone was walking around in a gi, brother.
Who is the actual first shaolin kung fu monk to teach in the US?

Shifu Shi Yan Ming was the first to bring Shaolin kung fu to the United States officially. Trained as a Shaolin Temple Warrior Monk in China, he was on a tour of the US in 1992 when he defected. By 1994, he had moved to New York City where he opened USA Shaolin Temple and began training students, including the Wu-Tang Clan.

Bro thot u was cappin but you were keepin' it 💯🚫🧢🧢

Lol at the whitest people out there not considered white.

Whiteness is an odd concept. I believe the Irish became white when the new non whites like the Italians, Greeks, Poles, Hungarians and Slavs came.

This reminds me of the 1923 Supreme Court case United States vs. Bhagat Singh Thind. Dude was a "high caste" Indian of Aryan descent who claimed he was eligible for U.S. citizenship as a "free white person" because he was ethnically Aryan. He also hilariously claimed he was qualified because he was just as racist as American white people, considered lower caste Indians to be inferior and agreed with U.S. anti-miscegenation laws.

The SC ruled he wasn't eligible because the colloquial (and intended) definition of "Caucasian" was different from the anthropological definition of the time. Basically, his Indian upbringing was too dissimilar to be accepted by and assimilated into American white culture.

Kind of interesting, but consistent with world history. Racism has always been driven more by cultural differences than phenotypical ones.

Last edited:
Glad you found the article helpful.

Hell yeah!

I was looking for it forever. Today I did an internal Kung Fu class. Sifu said that this stuff is not for fighting but for recovery and enhancement of physical and mental well being. Its been 6 hours and I have this strange relaxing but calm high. Keep in mind I am no stranger to Yoga and I can see how a right Kung Fu teacher can truly offer something special.

I have done Kung Fu in the past but it was McDojo fantasy dorks. These folks are the real deal from Honk Kong and Shanghai. I actually think that old school Kung Fu fighters were badass before the Bruce Lee movie craze that created con artist cashing in on the martial arts craze.

Isnt fat slob Nelson a guru in kung fu? Or was that bullshit

I would like to see this man train Sean Tarzan to develop gravel making powers in strikes of his. Hard style Qigong would compliment the #bluecollarmatrix quite well IMHO.

Maybe he was unlock Super Strickland God of Freedom Sean Strickland form

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back