Finnegan's Wake

Damn, who would have known that I harboured a "squats hurts your knees" style prejudice? I always learn something from you and have always been inspired by you too. Post more damnit.

As my social life evaporates into training and recovery again, its inevitable.

Guess who's back?.......Back again.
Finn is back, finn is back, finn is back.

AM:
Stretching
Shadowboxing, focus on proper jabbing and footwork.

PM:
Warm Up:
300 Rope turns
300 speed bag strikes

Lifting:
Dumbell Step Up/ Jumping Bodyweight Lunge complex
65 x 5 / 10
75 x 5 / 10
85 x 5 / 10
95 x 5 / 10

Dumbell Lateral Raise/ Tricep Pulldown complex:
35 x 5/ 70 x 5
45 x 5/ 120 x 5
65 x 5/ 180 x 5
followed immediately by:
200 Speedbag punches

Impressions:
Tried to work in some power punching complexes. The lateral raises didn't do what I wanted them to do. I think cleans would have been better.

AM:

Dumbell Lateral Raise/ Tricep Pulldown complex:
35 x 5/ 70 x 5
45 x 5/ 120 x 5
65 x 5/ 180 x 5

Impressions:
Tried to work in some power punching complexes. The lateral raises didn't do what I wanted them to do. I think cleans would have been better.

Interesting complex. Would High Pulls (in place of DB Lateral raise) and maybe Med Ball slams (instead of Tri Pulldowns) work better? Or are you considering your elbow when devising these?
I'm not even sure if opposite motions in complexes is a good idea.

I assume isometric holds + actual punches wasn't possible.

High Pulls and MB Slams would have been much better, but this was done at work in a crappy little gym that doesn't even have a barbell for "insurance reasons" so it leaves people to their own devices with Powerblocks (which at least the finally got ones that go up to 95lbs), a power tower, and a cable station.

The other consideration that led to the lateral raises was that I just did heavy snatches a couple days ago, and am still a little worried about the shoulder. I didn't want to do two heavy, explosive upperbody pulls back to back.

They have a really crappy Wavemaster heavybag that won't stay any higher than 5 foot tall, and a speedbag. I'm trying to figure out how to use this stuff for a decent workout until I get my dungeon set back up from the move, which will hopefully be within a week or two.

No barbell for insurance reasons? Ok....

Considering the equipment you have available to you, that's a pretty decent workout then.
Hopefully you get your home gym up and running quickly.

I just helped a buddy moce and he has those Powerblocks (his go to 55 I think) and man, I do not like. How are ya supposed to snatches with those?

Yeah, like 6 blocks away. If you are planning on visiting, its actually easier to find.

AM Workout:
Stretching.
Yeah, fuck you too, buddy.

PM Workout:
5 min treadmill (level 6.1 at 2% incline)
3 three min rounds on the crappy wavemaster w 20 second punchout drill on the final round
300 rope turns

Impressions:

Nothing to special. Worked power combos and scared the doctor on the lat pulldown machine.

4/3 workout:

AM:

Shoulder Prehab stuff

Complexes

DB narrow stance Deadlift/ Face Pull superset:
190 x 10 / 80 x 7
190 x 10 / 80 x 7
190 x 10 / 80 x 7
(190 lbs is the highest powerblocks go)

Dumbell Dynamic Rows/ Cleans/ SOHP:
(weight is for both dumbells added together)

70 x 6
90 x 6
110 x 6
130 x 6

PM:

MMA:

Conditioning
Skill
Sparring

AM Workout:

Christened the new dungeon with:

Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
385 x 3
405 x 3

Impressions:
Fuck, I mourn the loss of 265lbs of Olympic weights more than I thought (ex roommates plates stayed with him). 405 is all I had on hand. A little stiff and bad form at first, but by the 405 set it was back to normal (i.e, still stiff and bad form, but not as awkward). Probably haven't deadlifted a barbell in three months or more.

I figured the christening of the new dungeon would be zercher DLs... Then you wouldn't miss those plates quite as much.

Z Deads with be the Deviling.

Monday:
MMA Fight Team
2 hours

Tues:
AM
Core Circuit
20 crunches
20 second left side plank
20 sec center plank
20 sec right side plank
10 ab wheel rollouts

PM:
Speedbag:
2 two min rounds

Heavybag:
3 three min rounds, power combos.

Treadmill:
6 minutes (Levels 4,6,7,8,7,6 at 1.2 incline)

Interval Bike Sprints:
10 seconds work, 30 seconds rest x 8

Impressions:
I'm sore and tired, and nowhere near recovered enough from the MMA training on Mon to do conditoning at all, so my dumbass did it anyway. All is as it should be.

Thats what I missed reading about, insane amounts of work with minimal recovery.

I just spent 6 weeks recovering. I figure I've got a line of credit on recovery for a while.

Lifting:
Shoulder Prehab stuff (face pulls, rotations, etc)

DB Incline Bench/ Pullup superset

65 x 5 / 3
85 x 3 / 5
95 x 3 / 3
95 x 3 / 5
95 x 4 / 3
- / 5

DB SOHP (90 seconds rest between sets)
35 x 20
45 x 20
55 x 20

Impressions:
Short on time, but got some decent work in.

GPP:
5 min treadmill run, level 6 warm up

100 rope turns
5 pullups
5 nuetral grip pullups
1 min rest

Abbreviated Core Circuit:
Cable Woodchoppers 80lbs x 12
Weighted Decline Sit Ups: 65lbs x 10
x3

Impressions:
Well, I planned on doing some speedbag, heavybag work, but some fat fuck old guy with tits was showing women how to piss off an attacker in the cardio room and calling it a "self defense" class.
Blah.

Back