Final Fantasy XV, v1: New and free Assassins Creed crossover DLC coming August 31st!

I definitely prefer a real NG+ to Chalice Dungeons, but the gameplay in BB is so damn good I found the dungeons fun in an of themselves. Some of my fondest memories of BB area actually defeating some of those brutally difficult late dungeon versions of bosses.

My point being that I can find enjoyment in a repetitive game if the game play is great. FF's game play is far from great, IMO.

The only downside to all of the souls games is that once you get through once or twice, the game is a walk in the park. Learning the tricks, best weapons, best routes etc make the souls game more puzzle-like. Its why its so addictive. I honestly think BB with all its faults is one of the greatest games of all time. Personally up there with the last of us, MGS 1, uncharted 2 etc.

Yeah I agree. I think Square just doesn't get it. The traditional JRPG died a long time ago, but that doesn't mean they have to try and mimic what killed it. They could have easily re-invented the JRPG, IMO, and it would have been very successful. There is still a place for strong narrative role playing games.

Open world games are great, but not every RPG has to be open world. Square obviously has no damn clue how to craft an engaging open world so I think they should just ditch that thought. In my humble opinion they need to tap into what made FF great in the first place, and innovate it while keeping the spirit intact.

But that's just me. By all accounts FF15 seems to be a great success for them so I doubt they will change anything moving forward.

Square seems to think its only about the graphics. To them gameplay is second to aesthetics and graphics. They throw tons of money on new engines. FFXV is exactly that, beautiful game but no substance. Heck even the more convoluted FF games before it were at least interesting narrative wise. How on earth we meant to get excited about a wedding and wedding dresses. I think they were right about FF needing to head in a new direction but cmon sidequests which consist of nothing but fetching stuff, hunting beats and main story missions which has us fighting the same enemy type over and over again gets boring quick without a deep and rewarding combat system.

Open world can be amazing if done right. Ive rarely played an open world game that didnt get boring quick aside from GTA San Andreas. MGSV is one that comes to mind. The gameplay was amazing, the mechanics were amazing but the game was lacking because the open world was boring as hell.

Just beat the game. After the cancer that is most of Chapter 13 I think the story kind of redeemed itself. I'll be honest between Chapters 4-8 I was kind of wondering wtf is even going on and then shit gets thrown at you real quick and then 13 helps to piece shit together but the pace definitely was all over the place. I also fucked up by only saving one picture and it was because it was a random pic prompto took of gladious' dick so that was my ending picture lol

I stopped doing sidequests once I got to level 48ish. People get caught up trying to do all the sidequests and with these types of games I find it's the wrong approach especially once you figure out most of the sidequests are the same thing. Same thing with Dragon Age Inquisition, it turns a lot of people away who like to 100% things because the monotony of it becomes too much.

I do think the game feels rushed in certain aspects. I agree with a lot of the criticism but I think it's a great game.

Just beat the game. After the cancer that is most of Chapter 13 I think the story kind of redeemed itself. I'll be honest between Chapters 4-8 I was kind of wondering wtf is even going on and then shit gets thrown at you real quick and then 13 helps to piece shit together but the pace definitely was all over the place. I also fucked up by only saving one picture and it was because it was a random pic prompto took of gladious' dick so that was my ending picture lol

I stopped doing sidequests once I got to level 48ish. People get caught up trying to do all the sidequests and with these types of games I find it's the wrong approach especially once you figure out most of the sidequests are the same thing. Same thing with Dragon Age Inquisition, it turns a lot of people away who like to 100% things because the monotony of it becomes too much.

I do think the game feels rushed in certain aspects. I agree with a lot of the criticism but I think it's a great game.
I used the picture of Cidney's daughters breasts. It made the ending hilarious

People should definitely beat the game first before reviewing it. The story is what makes this game. Great soundtrack, too.

I used the picture of Cidney's daughters breasts. It made the ending hilarious

It was bad enough when I had to select the picture but at the post-credits when they look at the picture again I laughed too. Kind of ruined the moment but whatever lol

People should definitely beat the game first before reviewing it. The story is what makes this game. Great soundtrack, too.

I think the story is good too. Seems like the problems people have with it isn't the story itself but how it gets presented and how the pacing kind of makes it seem non-existent for a while then all of a sudden all this shit happens and they don't know wtf is going on because there wasn't much explanation. I think it really picks up during/after chapter 8 but it does get a bit hard to follow because there doesn't seem to be a lot of buildup. Also, shit happens and you are confused and then read about it in a notebook or whatever later, it kind of helps but at the same time it's weird how that's how they chose to do it.

I loved the music too. The theme music, the boss battle music and picking "Stand by me"

The problem most people in NA have with getting into a FF story as of late...

th

The characters. Look at those fairies. They look like a fuckin' boy band. There is a cultural barrier that has been rearing it's ugly head since FFX, in terms of it's lead characters. Older games got away with it, because they were sprites, and the dialogue was all text. You could use your imagination more. Now that games are fully voice acted, with voices to match characters that look like...that, I think it takes away a lot of the imagination to it all, and you just have to take it all as is.

I fully expect the remake of FFVII to suffer the same fate. Cloud won't just be some voiceless cartoon character with spiky hair. He'll be a fully voiced, realistic looking, anime whiny douche-bag, with extremely feminine features, that you can't really identify with, or even imagine being what you would picture him as.

It's a real cultural disconnect that has been growing with JRPG's for a while now.

It shouldn't take an ending to justify hours upon hours of absolutely dreadful storytelling.

But I am curious to see it and will try to plow forward.

I agree that the game gets all screwy halfway through the story. I was displeased at that as well, but the ultimate resolve was worth it for me in the long run. I really loved the crew. And all the dark turns it took evoked real emotions out of me. Not many games I can say have done that. Last of Us is the only other one that comes to mind. I definitely went back to the open world after beating it. I still have outposts to take out, a couple new missions and a few dungeons I missed. 77 hours in and I feel like I could do another 20. A great edition to the non online final fantasy series.

It shouldn't take an ending to justify hours upon hours of absolutely dreadful storytelling.

But I am curious to see it and will try to plow forward.

How far in the main quest are you exactly? As I said in previous post the story does not really pick up until chapter 8. For the most part the side quests don't really do much to add onto it, there are some nice sidequests here and there but they are outnumbered heavily by the typical kill/fetch side quests

I would suggest if you are level 40ish and are burnt out by the side quests then just go straight through the main quests and only do more open world if you actually want to.

How far in the main quest are you exactly? As I said in previous post the story does not really pick up until chapter 8. For the most part the side quests don't really do much to add onto it, there are some nice sidequests here and there but they are outnumbered heavily by the typical kill/fetch side quests

I would suggest if you are level 40ish and are burnt out by the side quests then just go straight through the main quests and only do more open world if you actually want to.

I believe I just started chapter 8 and am around level 35 or so I think. For the most part I have been just trying to plow through the main missions.

I very, very rarely leave a game unfinished. I finished FF 13 for god's sake and it was a worse game than this. Even if I think it's an overall poor game, I feel some need to finish it. So I am trying to get through this one, but I find each time I turn it on I end up playing for 15 minutes and then I turn it off to play something else.

I believe I just started chapter 8 and am around level 35 or so I think. For the most part I have been just trying to plow through the main missions.

I very, very rarely leave a game unfinished. I finished FF 13 for god's sake and it was a worse game than this. Even if I think it's an overall poor game, I feel some need to finish it. So I am trying to get through this one, but I find each time I turn it on I end up playing for 15 minutes and then I turn it off to play something else.

Yeah trust me it picks up by the end of chapter 8, I think after that it's pretty easy to go straight through the whole thing (chapter 13 is balls though)

Yeah once the novelty wears off it kinda turns into a test of patience. It takes too long even with fast travel to get to locations and enemies just pose no threat if you are semi-competent.The combat system also doesn´t really evolve beyond the basics and most good ascension skills require grinding(and they still don´t really change the combat much).But the good news is that the last chapters can be finished in a really short time (outside of 13) and I would say the ending is decent if you manage to get there.

I finished the main story but now I have no desire to do the side quests.

I finished the main story but now I have no desire to do the side quests.

There is a sidequest line where you basically just fight bosses. Old guy in Lestallum gives it to you. I'm actually surprised I'm doing stuff post-game I though I was gonna just stop

The game is beatable at level 40 or so, you should be able to plow through it rather quickly.

Level 94 now, might try the Adamantoise. Did 2 of the hidden dungeons. They're essentially chalice dungeons from Bloodborne. Good loot and repetitive enemies with a unique boss.

Took 2 hours to kill the Adamantoise at level 99. Forgot to eat a good food buff and also used shit weapons.

Took 2 hours to kill the Adamantoise at level 99. Forgot to eat a good food buff and also used shit weapons.

What weapons did you have and what kind of stuff did you have unlocked in Ascension? I have all the ultimate weapons from Randolph's sidequests but my Ascension grid is barely filled out. Idk if I should fight Adamantoise just yet or try to unlock more Ascension stuff. Don't know how I feel about spending 2 hours holding attack and healing my dying party members lol

What weapons did you have and what kind of stuff did you have unlocked in Ascension? I have all the ultimate weapons from Randolph's sidequests but my Ascension grid is barely filled out. Idk if I should fight Adamantoise just yet or try to unlock more Ascension stuff. Don't know how I feel about spending 2 hours holding attack and healing my dying party members lol
My ascension grid also sucks. I used the Iron Duke, I'm told the Zwill cross blades are the best to use though. And equip royal arms for stat buffs. I also didn't do that. I have a critical attack warp strike thing unlocked in ascension so I took a muscle stimulant and a magitek booster and spammed warp attack and just repeated when the buffs wore off. I also summoned shiva who did nothing and made Flare which hit for 45k damage each time, which also did nothing lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back