Fights to Make After UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg

Siver!

Spinning Back Kick Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Alexandra Pantoja vs Amir Albazi – Let’s see this one, Pantoja had his hands full with one newcomer in Erceg, can he fend off another legitimate threat in Albazi? Mokaev also has an argument, but I think he’s one good win away from a shot despite Erceg being just 3-0 and #10. Blowing the rankings wide open makes this way more fun than a perennial series of rematches, let’s keep the fresh match ups going.

Steve Erceg vs Matheus Nicolau – Erceg made that a hell of a fight throughout, the guy is game, he’s tough, he’s got nasty elbows, good boxing, and a huge frame – but Pantoja was just a step ahead tonight. I’d like to see Erceg hunting down a few top ten opponents, starting with Nicolau.

Jose Aldo vs Umar Nurmagomedov – All right, that was awesome! Jose, the living legend, rolled back the years and looked incredible! He just beat the tar out of a relevant, young fighter like Jonathan Martinez, now let’s see if he can make another run at the title or not. Umar hasn’t beaten anyone that matters, but if he can beat Jose Aldo, it would be hard to deny him getting fast-tracked even further. What a damn fight this would be. 5 rounds, please, don’t be robbing us of those extra rounds!

Jonathan Martinez vs Mario Bautista – Martinez was on a 6-fight win streak before running into Jose Aldo: Bautista is on a 6-fight win streak right now. Both are 30 years old, both have worked super hard to get their rankings, but now that Martinez has hit a roadblock against a super veteran like Jose Aldo, I’d like to see this get matched up. Let’s see who the better prospect is, and how far Bautista can go. A clash of styles, a clash of great gyms, this has it all!

Anthony Smith vs Nikita Krylov – Anthony ‘Lionheart’ Smith does it again, showing he remains a very dangerous out for another in that 10-20 range. Smith has been there, done it all, bought every single t-shirt, and still keeps going. His guillotine on Vitor was a thing of beauty, and now he (again) has the right to call out someone above him. Krylov is the right guy. Ranked #6, on a 3-fight win streak, but suffering a little bit from inactivity after spending 15 months (and counting) away from the Octagon, Krylov needs another name on his record before launching an attack at an even higher level.

Vitor Petrino vs Dustin Jacoby – Don’t forget about Dustin Jacoby, one of the best unranked light heavyweights in the UFC, and a high level kickboxer who will be a tough test for Petrino. Petrino got caught with a guillotine tonight and looked a little under-seasoned as a result, but he’s got a ton of potential and will be desperate to bounce back. If you beat Jacoby, then you’ve done something, and the pressure of a rankings fight is off, too. May the best warrior win, this will be a real battle.

Michel Pereira vs Chris Curtis – Chris Curtis always wants someone who will come forward and throw down, well Chris, that man is Michel Pereira and he won’t do anything else. Curtis is a dangerous counter puncher with immense power, making this a real intriguing fight – does Michel Pereira buzzsaw through another, or does Curtis land one of those huge counter punches? Let’s find out! (I do find it weird who slow the build for Pereira has been, but since we’re doing that, there’s no reason for a rush job now – he's behind Caio)

Ihor Potieria vs Andre Petroski – Two victims of the Michel Pereira Express Train that has been tearing through the 185 division, Ihor and Andre Petroski are two guys who like to strike but perhaps aren’t elite at it, and who have sometimes decent names under their belts between them without really setting the division on fire. Looks just about right for both, and a great chance for Petroski to bounce back from that bizarre hip bone TKO.

Caio Borralho vs Jack Hermansson – Caio is definitely a guy to back in the middleweight division, and Jack Hermansson is a perfectly-pitched opponent for him. Hermansson isn’t a slouch on the feet, he’s shown that by beating boxing-heavy strikers like Chris Curtis and Joe Pyfer, but Caio is a different proposition. I liked the call out of Jared Cannonier, but Caio has to get through this first. If he can finish the talented, durable, and intelligent Jack Hermansson, we’re looking at a top 5 opponent next time out.

Paul Craig vs Gregory Rodrigues – Whether Paul Craig retains his ranking or not, Robocop is a guy who deserves a fight at this level and will benefit whether it puts him in the top 15 or leaves him just marginally outside. The middleweight division is full of fun fighters, and it’s high time Robocop joined the party here in an entertaining scrap against a high level, dangerous grappler with exploitable striking. Craig needs a win, he’s 1-4 in his last 5…

Joanderson Brito vs Dan Ige – I love this call out from Joanderson, these are two aggressive bruisers, someone’s getting beat up here, and Brito really needs to answer the question re: can he put on an extensive beating, or will he fade the longer the fight goes? I’d even like to see this main event a Fight Night, just so we get a potential five rounds… but more likely a co-main somewhere. However it happens, whatever it looks like, this is going to be a war! Ige has never been finished!

Jack Shore vs Sodiq Yusuff – CAVEAT: I don’t think Yusuff will be ranked when this fight comes around, so no, I’m not rewarding Shore with a top 15 opponent if everything plays out as expected. On that basis, I can’t think of many cleaner, more highly technical featherweight fights I’d like to see. Sure, Shore’s leg got bludgeoned by Brito, but he didn’t quit, he didn’t get TKO’d, he didn’t get tapped, he’s a tough kid and a good fighter who ran into a real beast. Yusuff has also been running into beasts lately in the form of Edson Barboza and Diego Lopes, and I think both would be relieved to take a fight like this. May the better, cleaner fight win!

Iasmin Lucindo vs Lupita Godinez – Lucindo might just be 22 years of age, but she enters the 115 rankings after beating #12 Karolina Kowalkiewicz, and she beat her very well too. #10 Loopy Godinez is a logical next step, and this is one between the ‘new breed’ of WMMA fighters who are really good and put on action-packed fights. This will be a good scrap, and the winner is looking at some serious competition going forward.

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs Loma Lookboonmee – Yeah, this is the right one for Loma. There are so many options for here at 6-2 in the UFC, one of the most respected strikers in WMMA, and it’s just a matter of time before she picks up a ranking. This is the perfect fight for her, KK isn’t bad, is an elder stateswoman, and has been feasting on low level opponents, but if Loma has real potential, she’ll win this handily. We’ll learn a lot about the Thai prospect here who has been built very nicely, but needs a proper test now.

Myktybek Orolbai vs Fares Ziam – The highest level fight possible at 155 without a ranking being involved, if neither man gets a top 15 opponent next then it’s likely a result of their last outings where Orolbai had questionable fence grabs going against him as well as not finishing the fight, while Ziam limped to a split decision win over Claudio Puelles. I think the winner of this, though, is undeniable. Huge fight for one without a number. Needs to be on a main card.

Elves Brener vs Drew Dober – Hell yeah, both guys are fun as hell, both coming off tough losses, and this is a Fight of the Night contender before a punch is thrown. This fight should be on the main card of any show outside the Apex, get these boys on a stage in the US, and let’s throw down! Huge!

Drakkar Klose vs Jalin Turner – I’m not so bothered about Klose getting an opponent as highly ranked as Dariush after that fight, it was a little bit disappointing and Klose dropped the third round pretty badly. I’m okay with Turner, though, Turner is a bit of a wild card who can both destroy opponents or succumb to better-rounded, tough opposition – which is kinda what Klose is. Turner also needs to defend his ranked after going 1-3 in his last 4. I can see the UFC giving Klose an unranked but highly regarded opponent instead if they weren’t thrilled by his performance, but I don’t really see the need for that. Putting him against Turner should force a fun fight!

Joaquim Silva vs Guram Kutateladze – There’s no imperative to rush either of these fighters, as inactivity has kinda accounted for Guram’s momentum despite the fact he’s obviously better than a prototypical 1-2 UFC fighter. Silva, well, he just isn’t going over that hill when it comes to guys close to the rankings, so you know what? Throw them together, and I reckon we get a very high level fight that belies both fighters’ records and might just produce something special. They’re both really, really solid and will be willing to throw down IMO. I think they’ll both make it a point of principle to not back down here. They’re both carved out of oak.

Mauricio Ruffy vs Steve Garcia – Mauricio Ruffy looked fantastic tonight, torching Mullarkey with real power and outstanding strike accuracy. Mullarkey went through his usual routine trying to turn this into a dog fight, but it wasn’t to be, Ruffy was a cut above and looked great. Give him Steve Garcia next, I don’t want to see another rush job, but 4-2 Garcia who comes in off a 3-fight win streak is no easy out. This is a tough fight and feels appropriate for both. Can Ruffy look that good against another tough lightweight who has finished all 7 of his last wins? Let’s see who’s got the heavier artillery, someone’s getting knocked out!

Jamie Mullarkey vs Ottman Azaitar – A loser leaves town fight, Azaitar has it all to prove after some poor performances lately, same goes for Mullarkey who is just so susceptible to getting finished by strikes when the momentum goes against him. Honestly, two glass cannons here who are fighting for their jobs, I think we get a finish. Host it in the Middle East or Australia as a fun, low-risk prelim.

Dione Barbosa vs Ivana Petrovic – Petrovic earned a win over Na Liang last time out when Liang ran out of gas again, and judging by tonight’s performance, Dione Barbosa kinda needs to answer that same question re: cardio. Dione had a little bit of hype, but that wasn’t the most convincing performance. Nonetheless, let’s see what she’s able to improve next time out against someone that likely engages her on the ground (where she wants to be).

Ernesta Kareckaite vs Juliana Miller – Miller has had a little time off since slumping to a 3-3 record overall and 1-2 in the UFC, and she has it all to prove. She’s a little bit more unpredictable than Ernesta has looked, Ernesta looking like quite a straight-forward fighter in many regards. Ernesta looks a slow starter, which may offer opportunities for Miller, but it’s never easy to pick at this level.

Ismael Bonfim vs Mike Davis – ‘Beast Boy’ is riding a 4-fight win streak, but the competition level hasn’t been the highest and he’s really struggled to fight with any sort of regularity at all. 4 fights since 2019 is the sort of inactivity that will derail any prospect, but if he’s going to start showing out in any serious way, he needs to start getting tougher tests – and Bonfim is a damn tough test at that level. Bring the violence.

Vinc Pichel vs Lando Vannata – If Pichel has an interest in carrying on, I’d say he’s still one loss away from getting cut. While retirement wouldn’t be out of the question for anyone at 41, and while he could make that decision at any given moment (see: Matt Brown), I haven’t seen anything yet, so happy to rebook him. Give him Lando Vannata. Lando is a fun fighter but he’s struggling at the moment going 1-3 in his last 4. Lando will take it to tough opponents, he’s game, but he’d really, really need to prove he can beat Vinc Pichel at this stage if he’s worth keeping on the roster. Should be a fun fight, and a good chance for either to register a win – while the loser probably waves goodbye.

Alessandro Costa vs Matt Schnell – Costa may be only 2-2 in the UFC, but his losses are against Erceg and Albazi – enough said! He cut through Borjas just like he did against Jimmy Flick with an R2TKO, and he’s shown enough to get another crack at a ranked opponent in this paper thin division – in this case, a ranked opponent that is struggling pretty badly in Matt Schnell.

Kevin Borjas vs Felipe Bunes – Borjas slips to 0-2, I’d like to see him get a step down after tough fights against Joshua Van and Alessandro Costa and face someone like Felipe Bunes whose 13-7 record isn’t all that. Bunes is perhaps a beneficiary of circumstances to even be in the UFC, but Borjas is a fair fight for him at this stage.

Agree with a lot of these picks, here are mine:
- Alexandre Pantoja vs. Albazi/Royval winner (Pantoja wants time off, book a title eliminator)
- Steve Erceg vs. Matheus Nicolau
- Jose Aldo vs. Henry Cejudo
- Jonathan Martinez vs. Simon/Oliveira winner
- Anthony Smith vs. Menifield/Ulberg winner
- Vitor Petrino vs. Kennedy Nzechukwu
- Michel Pereira vs. Jack Hermansson
- Ihor Potieria vs. Sedriques Dumas
- Caio Borralho vs. Roman Dolidze
- Paul Craig vs. Gregory Rodrigues
- Joanderson Brito vs. Dan Ige
- Jack Shore vs. Jonathan Pearce
- Iasmin Lucindo vs. Loopy Godinez
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Loma Lookboonmee
- Myktybek Orolbai vs. Benoit St. Denis
- Elves Brener vs. Nazim Sadykhov
- Drakkar Klose vs. Jalin Turner
- Joaquim Silva vs. Jordan Leavitt
- Mauricio Ruffy vs. Trevor Peek
- Jamie Mullarkey vs. Chris Padilla
- Dione Barbosa vs. Victoria Leonardo
- Ernesta Kareckaite vs. Jamey-Lyn Horth
- Ismael Bonfim vs. Rafa Garcia
- Vinc Pichel vs. Christos Giagos
- Alessandro Costa vs. Bruno da Silva
- Kevin Borjas vs. Daniel Barez

Normally you make good picks but dude

Aldo vs Umar come on bro what are we doing here? Not a soul wants to see that...heinous matchmaking imo

Aldo vs Cejudo is the fight to make

Love the Craig Rodriguez pick...Craig will end up getting highlight reeled again

They tried to book Aldo vs Cruz before, they can try it again. In another thread I mentioned Erceg vs Mokaev for #1 contender in Perth, I think that's a good fight to make. I'd like to see Caio vs Imavov, possibly in Abu Dhabi. For Anthony Smith, maybe Rakic?

Kevin Borjas vs. Ode Osbourne - Loser leaves UFC.
Alessandro Costa vs. Edgar Chairez - Each man is coming off a turn around. Let's see who makes it 2 straight.
Vinc Pichel vs. Damir Hadzovic - Two of the older fighters in the division in need of a win. Lowkey could be a loser leaves UFC bout.
Ismael Bonfim vs. Hayisaer Maheshate - Both have had their ups and downs but both are coming off decision victories. I like this as their next steps.
Ernesta Kareckaite vs. Juliana Miller - Loser leaves UFC.
Dione Barbosa vs. Ivana Petrovic - Both won in recent weeks by decision. I like this fight next.
Jamie Mullarkey vs. Christos Giagos - Tough loss for Mullarkey. He and Giagos are in the same boat. Tough fighters on a two fight losing streak. Potential loser leaves UFC clash.
Mauricio Ruffy vs. Austin Hubbard - Good showing for Ruffy. I like Hubbard as his next step to see where Ruffy stands in the division.
Joaquim Silva vs. Jim Miller - Both tough veterans coming off decision losses. I think this lowkey is a fun fight.
Drakkar Klose vs. Jalin Turner - I like this call out from Klose. He's on a decent win streak and worthy of a ranked opponent. You don't see many people calling out Turner, so let's see what happens.
Elves Brener vs. Claudio Puelles - Brener had his moments but tough night for him. I think Puelles is a good turn around for Elves next.
Myktybek Orolbai vs. Manuel Torres - Apart from the point deduction this was a good showing for Orolbai. Let's put him in with Torres and see who can continue their run.
Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Pinheiro/Hill loser - This will be a must win fight for both women to remain in the rankings.
Iasmin Lucindo vs. Robertson/Waterson-Gomez winner - Lucindo enters the rankings with this win and I like this as her next fight. A win here could put her in the top ten.
Jack Shore vs. Billy Quarantillo - Tough night for Shore with that stoppage. I do agree with the stoppage based on that cut. I think this is a good rebound fight for both he and Quarantillo.
Joanderson Brito vs. Dan Ige - Brito deserves a fight in the rankings. I like his call out of Ige. So I believe let's make it happen.
Paul Craig vs. Brad Tavares - I think Craig falls from the rankings with this loss. A fight with him and Tavares feels must win for both men to remain relevant.
Caio Borralho vs. Roman Dolidze - Great win for Caio. He wants a top ten opponent and there's someone who just lost their opponent in the top ten. Let's make this happen.
Ihor Potiera vs. Cody Brundage - Both have been used as sacrificial lambs recently. This makes sense to me.
Michel Pereira vs. Anthony Hernandez - I think it's time to see Pereira against a ranked opponent. I'm open to this fight or even Chris Curtis for him.
Vitor Petrino vs. Ryan Spann - tough losses for both men as of late. Winner stays in the top 15.
Anthony Smith vs. Bogdan Guskov - I think this fight needs to be done now. Smith vs. his look alike.
Jonathan Martinez vs. Pedro Munhoz - Tough loss for Martinez. Must win bout for both men to remain in the rankings.
Jose Aldo vs. Dominick Cruz - It's time. Come on we need this fight to happen now surely. It's a dream match for sure.
Steve Ercej vs. Kai Kara-France or Manel Kape - Despite the comments about his title fight. Ercej belonged in there and put in a great account for himself. If anything this loss moves him up the rankings. Either give him a name like Kai or a potential title eliminator with Kape.
Alexandre Pantoja vs. Amir Albazi - This is the fight which should have been Pantoja's next defense. Take a little break and then let's book this

Pantoja vs Albazi - Pantoja wants some time off, Albazi is off until September - October. Pantoja has already beaten Moreno thrice, Royval twice, Kape, Alex Perez. Kara France is 0-2 and Mokaev is still out of a snoozer vs Perez. Albazi might be the best fight for Pantoja
Erceg vs Mokaev - Erceg gave a tough fight to Pantoja. Mokaev was bitter about Erceg having the opportunity. I think Erceg will have to fight smart to avoid the grappling and win this fight. An alternative could be Alex Perez who might be ranked high but is tough to finish and well rounded
Jose Aldo goes to boxing or Dom Cruz - If he doesn't leave the UFC, let's make the Cruz fight happen later rather than never. I have no interest to see a young fighter KO Cruz and Aldo would rather go for the kill vs Cruz as Cruz he is very good to snatch rounds
Martinez vs Farid Basharat - I was high on Martinez and I thought Aldo was on his way out and the UFC wanted to build the resume of a future contender. He fought a lot of strikers, let's test him with a grappler who is undefeated in the UFC
Anthony Smith vs Bogdan Guskov - He is not interested in the title picture, Guskov is a good fighter but nothing unseen. Issue is that a win wouldn't raise Anthony's stock
Petrino vs Jimmy Crute - He lost on a rookie mistake, let's give him another test outside the top 15 with Crute who was also a prospect stopped by Anthony Smith
Michel Pereira vs loser of Imavov vs Cannonier - There are too much prospects at MW and he trains at Xtreme with Curtis. Hermansson already had his prospect win with Pyfer. He has to wait for ranked fights to happen to find a ranked opponent. Maybe the loser of Cannonier vs Imavov could be a good fight
Potiera vs Abu Azaitar - Loser leaves the UFC
Caio Borralho vs Dolidze - Dolidze and Hermansson are available. Dolidze was on camp and lost his last fight and should fight down while Hermansson won his last fight vs a prospect. Caio seemed to fight smart and Dolidze could be a good fight for a smart fighter
Paul Craig vs winner of Pyfer vs Barriault - He is not top 15 and should fight one of the long list of MW prospects: Pyfer, Aliskerov, Shara Putin, Bo Nikal, Robocop, Michel Pereira. He takes time to recover and maybe have Pyfer if he beats Barriault
Brito vs Ige - He has to fight in the top 15, he called out Ige several times and Ige is available. Not a big fan of his hugging and leg kick strategy
Shore vs Chepe Mariscal - The cut was disgusting but he had nothing significant for Brito but I think Brito is very good. Chepe is clearly one level below and offers better fights than hugging fests
Iasmin Lucindo vs loser of Angela Hill vs Luana Pinheiro
Kowalkiewicz vs loser of Waterson vs Robertson
. She's slow, let's keep her fighting vets
Orolbai vs Joel Alvarez - He needs a step up but he was too boring and had weird decisions to fight a ranked opponent
Elves Brenner vs Bahamondes - He gased hard vs a wrestler. Let's keep him with a striker
Drakkar Klose vs Matt Frevola - I am not sure he deserves a top 15 opponent with this win but he is close to that level. He asked Turner but I think he will get KOed. A guy close to the top 15 like Frevola could be a good fight. An alternative could be Drew Dober
Joaquin Silva vs Claudio Puelles - Good fight of Silva with a close loss. Puelles is also a UFC veteran with a close decision loss recently. Another ATT vs Kill Cliff fight
Ruffy vs Tony Ferguson - Ruffy is a very good striker who is way above Mullarkey's level. Ferguson needs a fight and I don't think the UFC will give him a veteran. Ruffy is a good prospect they could build and also big enough to fight Ferguson
Jamie Mullarkey vs Bojaki Oki - Jamie is 0-2 and will have to fight guys that are 1-0 or something like that to understand where they stand. He could fight Bojaki Oki in an international card
Barbosa vs Ivana Petrovic
Karekaite vs Juliana Miller
- Loser leaves the UFC
Ismael Bonfim vs Mark Diakese - OK, he is better than Pichel and he lost to BSD but there is almost the whole LW roster between those two fighters. Let's match him with a fighter whose level is known, especially a striker with better hand speed than Pichel
Vinc Pichel vs Clay Guida - I didn't like the hand speed and I think he should fight vets
Costa vs Cody Durden - He needs to be tested vs a fighter that is not top 10 but still have a name
Borjas wait and fight a DWCS fighter - He might be 0-2 vs two very good fighters and I would like to see him fight a lower fighter. He needs to recover and develop new skills

They are gonna do Aldo vs Cruz next.. this was supposed to actually be Aldo vs Cruz but Cruz had an injury and couldn't take it (again) .

Normally you make good picks but dude

Aldo vs Umar come on bro what are we doing here? Not a soul wants to see that...heinous matchmaking imo

Aldo vs Cejudo is the fight to make

Love the Craig Rodriguez pick...Craig will end up getting highlight reeled again

Yeah okay, Cejudo works.

Cruz, though, definitely not - I feel like we've missed that now, Aldo looked way too good last night to bother with that one.

Henry would be a decent test though, two legendary warhorses!

I would like to see Caio or Michel Pereira take on Dolidze at UFC 302.
They took no damage and 302 is in one month.

Aldo vs Song? or vs Cejudo?

And of course, Smith vs Poatan for the title. Right?

Alexandra Pantoja vs Amir Albazi – Let’s see this one, Pantoja had his hands full with one newcomer in Erceg, can he fend off another legitimate threat in Albazi? Mokaev also has an argument, but I think he’s one good win away from a shot despite Erceg being just 3-0 and #10. Blowing the rankings wide open makes this way more fun than a perennial series of rematches, let’s keep the fresh match ups going.

Steve Erceg vs Matheus Nicolau – Erceg made that a hell of a fight throughout, the guy is game, he’s tough, he’s got nasty elbows, good boxing, and a huge frame – but Pantoja was just a step ahead tonight. I’d like to see Erceg hunting down a few top ten opponents, starting with Nicolau.

Jose Aldo vs Umar Nurmagomedov – All right, that was awesome! Jose, the living legend, rolled back the years and looked incredible! He just beat the tar out of a relevant, young fighter like Jonathan Martinez, now let’s see if he can make another run at the title or not. Umar hasn’t beaten anyone that matters, but if he can beat Jose Aldo, it would be hard to deny him getting fast-tracked even further. What a damn fight this would be. 5 rounds, please, don’t be robbing us of those extra rounds!

Jonathan Martinez vs Mario Bautista – Martinez was on a 6-fight win streak before running into Jose Aldo: Bautista is on a 6-fight win streak right now. Both are 30 years old, both have worked super hard to get their rankings, but now that Martinez has hit a roadblock against a super veteran like Jose Aldo, I’d like to see this get matched up. Let’s see who the better prospect is, and how far Bautista can go. A clash of styles, a clash of great gyms, this has it all!

Anthony Smith vs Nikita Krylov – Anthony ‘Lionheart’ Smith does it again, showing he remains a very dangerous out for another in that 10-20 range. Smith has been there, done it all, bought every single t-shirt, and still keeps going. His guillotine on Vitor was a thing of beauty, and now he (again) has the right to call out someone above him. Krylov is the right guy. Ranked #6, on a 3-fight win streak, but suffering a little bit from inactivity after spending 15 months (and counting) away from the Octagon, Krylov needs another name on his record before launching an attack at an even higher level.

Vitor Petrino vs Dustin Jacoby – Don’t forget about Dustin Jacoby, one of the best unranked light heavyweights in the UFC, and a high level kickboxer who will be a tough test for Petrino. Petrino got caught with a guillotine tonight and looked a little under-seasoned as a result, but he’s got a ton of potential and will be desperate to bounce back. If you beat Jacoby, then you’ve done something, and the pressure of a rankings fight is off, too. May the best warrior win, this will be a real battle.

Michel Pereira vs Chris Curtis – Chris Curtis always wants someone who will come forward and throw down, well Chris, that man is Michel Pereira and he won’t do anything else. Curtis is a dangerous counter puncher with immense power, making this a real intriguing fight – does Michel Pereira buzzsaw through another, or does Curtis land one of those huge counter punches? Let’s find out! (I do find it weird who slow the build for Pereira has been, but since we’re doing that, there’s no reason for a rush job now – he's behind Caio)

Ihor Potieria vs Andre Petroski – Two victims of the Michel Pereira Express Train that has been tearing through the 185 division, Ihor and Andre Petroski are two guys who like to strike but perhaps aren’t elite at it, and who have sometimes decent names under their belts between them without really setting the division on fire. Looks just about right for both, and a great chance for Petroski to bounce back from that bizarre hip bone TKO.

Caio Borralho vs Jack Hermansson – Caio is definitely a guy to back in the middleweight division, and Jack Hermansson is a perfectly-pitched opponent for him. Hermansson isn’t a slouch on the feet, he’s shown that by beating boxing-heavy strikers like Chris Curtis and Joe Pyfer, but Caio is a different proposition. I liked the call out of Jared Cannonier, but Caio has to get through this first. If he can finish the talented, durable, and intelligent Jack Hermansson, we’re looking at a top 5 opponent next time out.

Paul Craig vs Gregory Rodrigues – Whether Paul Craig retains his ranking or not, Robocop is a guy who deserves a fight at this level and will benefit whether it puts him in the top 15 or leaves him just marginally outside. The middleweight division is full of fun fighters, and it’s high time Robocop joined the party here in an entertaining scrap against a high level, dangerous grappler with exploitable striking. Craig needs a win, he’s 1-4 in his last 5…

Joanderson Brito vs Dan Ige – I love this call out from Joanderson, these are two aggressive bruisers, someone’s getting beat up here, and Brito really needs to answer the question re: can he put on an extensive beating, or will he fade the longer the fight goes? I’d even like to see this main event a Fight Night, just so we get a potential five rounds… but more likely a co-main somewhere. However it happens, whatever it looks like, this is going to be a war! Ige has never been finished!

Jack Shore vs Sodiq Yusuff – CAVEAT: I don’t think Yusuff will be ranked when this fight comes around, so no, I’m not rewarding Shore with a top 15 opponent if everything plays out as expected. On that basis, I can’t think of many cleaner, more highly technical featherweight fights I’d like to see. Sure, Shore’s leg got bludgeoned by Brito, but he didn’t quit, he didn’t get TKO’d, he didn’t get tapped, he’s a tough kid and a good fighter who ran into a real beast. Yusuff has also been running into beasts lately in the form of Edson Barboza and Diego Lopes, and I think both would be relieved to take a fight like this. May the better, cleaner fight win!

Iasmin Lucindo vs Lupita Godinez – Lucindo might just be 22 years of age, but she enters the 115 rankings after beating #12 Karolina Kowalkiewicz, and she beat her very well too. #10 Loopy Godinez is a logical next step, and this is one between the ‘new breed’ of WMMA fighters who are really good and put on action-packed fights. This will be a good scrap, and the winner is looking at some serious competition going forward.

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs Loma Lookboonmee – Yeah, this is the right one for Loma. There are so many options for here at 6-2 in the UFC, one of the most respected strikers in WMMA, and it’s just a matter of time before she picks up a ranking. This is the perfect fight for her, KK isn’t bad, is an elder stateswoman, and has been feasting on low level opponents, but if Loma has real potential, she’ll win this handily. We’ll learn a lot about the Thai prospect here who has been built very nicely, but needs a proper test now.

Myktybek Orolbai vs Fares Ziam – The highest level fight possible at 155 without a ranking being involved, if neither man gets a top 15 opponent next then it’s likely a result of their last outings where Orolbai had questionable fence grabs going against him as well as not finishing the fight, while Ziam limped to a split decision win over Claudio Puelles. I think the winner of this, though, is undeniable. Huge fight for one without a number. Needs to be on a main card.

Elves Brener vs Drew Dober – Hell yeah, both guys are fun as hell, both coming off tough losses, and this is a Fight of the Night contender before a punch is thrown. This fight should be on the main card of any show outside the Apex, get these boys on a stage in the US, and let’s throw down! Huge!

Drakkar Klose vs Jalin Turner – I’m not so bothered about Klose getting an opponent as highly ranked as Dariush after that fight, it was a little bit disappointing and Klose dropped the third round pretty badly. I’m okay with Turner, though, Turner is a bit of a wild card who can both destroy opponents or succumb to better-rounded, tough opposition – which is kinda what Klose is. Turner also needs to defend his ranked after going 1-3 in his last 4. I can see the UFC giving Klose an unranked but highly regarded opponent instead if they weren’t thrilled by his performance, but I don’t really see the need for that. Putting him against Turner should force a fun fight!

Joaquim Silva vs Guram Kutateladze – There’s no imperative to rush either of these fighters, as inactivity has kinda accounted for Guram’s momentum despite the fact he’s obviously better than a prototypical 1-2 UFC fighter. Silva, well, he just isn’t going over that hill when it comes to guys close to the rankings, so you know what? Throw them together, and I reckon we get a very high level fight that belies both fighters’ records and might just produce something special. They’re both really, really solid and will be willing to throw down IMO. I think they’ll both make it a point of principle to not back down here. They’re both carved out of oak.

Mauricio Ruffy vs Steve Garcia – Mauricio Ruffy looked fantastic tonight, torching Mullarkey with real power and outstanding strike accuracy. Mullarkey went through his usual routine trying to turn this into a dog fight, but it wasn’t to be, Ruffy was a cut above and looked great. Give him Steve Garcia next, I don’t want to see another rush job, but 4-2 Garcia who comes in off a 3-fight win streak is no easy out. This is a tough fight and feels appropriate for both. Can Ruffy look that good against another tough lightweight who has finished all 7 of his last wins? Let’s see who’s got the heavier artillery, someone’s getting knocked out!

Jamie Mullarkey vs Ottman Azaitar – A loser leaves town fight, Azaitar has it all to prove after some poor performances lately, same goes for Mullarkey who is just so susceptible to getting finished by strikes when the momentum goes against him. Honestly, two glass cannons here who are fighting for their jobs, I think we get a finish. Host it in the Middle East or Australia as a fun, low-risk prelim.

Dione Barbosa vs Ivana Petrovic – Petrovic earned a win over Na Liang last time out when Liang ran out of gas again, and judging by tonight’s performance, Dione Barbosa kinda needs to answer that same question re: cardio. Dione had a little bit of hype, but that wasn’t the most convincing performance. Nonetheless, let’s see what she’s able to improve next time out against someone that likely engages her on the ground (where she wants to be).

Ernesta Kareckaite vs Juliana Miller – Miller has had a little time off since slumping to a 3-3 record overall and 1-2 in the UFC, and she has it all to prove. She’s a little bit more unpredictable than Ernesta has looked, Ernesta looking like quite a straight-forward fighter in many regards. Ernesta looks a slow starter, which may offer opportunities for Miller, but it’s never easy to pick at this level.

Ismael Bonfim vs Mike Davis – ‘Beast Boy’ is riding a 4-fight win streak, but the competition level hasn’t been the highest and he’s really struggled to fight with any sort of regularity at all. 4 fights since 2019 is the sort of inactivity that will derail any prospect, but if he’s going to start showing out in any serious way, he needs to start getting tougher tests – and Bonfim is a damn tough test at that level. Bring the violence.

Vinc Pichel vs Lando Vannata – If Pichel has an interest in carrying on, I’d say he’s still one loss away from getting cut. While retirement wouldn’t be out of the question for anyone at 41, and while he could make that decision at any given moment (see: Matt Brown), I haven’t seen anything yet, so happy to rebook him. Give him Lando Vannata. Lando is a fun fighter but he’s struggling at the moment going 1-3 in his last 4. Lando will take it to tough opponents, he’s game, but he’d really, really need to prove he can beat Vinc Pichel at this stage if he’s worth keeping on the roster. Should be a fun fight, and a good chance for either to register a win – while the loser probably waves goodbye.

Alessandro Costa vs Matt Schnell – Costa may be only 2-2 in the UFC, but his losses are against Erceg and Albazi – enough said! He cut through Borjas just like he did against Jimmy Flick with an R2TKO, and he’s shown enough to get another crack at a ranked opponent in this paper thin division – in this case, a ranked opponent that is struggling pretty badly in Matt Schnell.

Kevin Borjas vs Felipe Bunes – Borjas slips to 0-2, I’d like to see him get a step down after tough fights against Joshua Van and Alessandro Costa and face someone like Felipe Bunes whose 13-7 record isn’t all that. Bunes is perhaps a beneficiary of circumstances to even be in the UFC, but Borjas is a fair fight for him at this stage.
By any chance are you related to Leo Tolstoy?

• I like the Albazi call. Stylistically that's promises to be a great fight between two great grapplers. That said, I don't know the status of his neck injury so maybe Mokaev gets the nod instead.
  • I want to see Aldo fight Yadong... that's a guaranteed banger IMO and it gives the opportunity for Jose to move up the division or for Song to redeem himself against a vet. I also wouldn't say no to them rebooking Cruz if he's recovered.
  • Jacoby is booked against Reyes unfortunately, but I think you're right with this line of thinking. Petrino fell way short in his first bid against a ranked opponent, but I don't know that you put him back against absolute bottom-feeders. Maybe Negumeranu? The guy has a hard style to look good against and had a fair amount of momentum prior to running into Ulberg. Or OSP if you want to give him another savvy veteran test.
  • As was said above, I think Caio or Pereira would be very wise to jump at the opportunity to fight Dolidze at UFC 302 in a quick turnaround. Both have high stock right now, neither took much damage (especially Pereira), and it's a good match-up for them IMO. Chris Curtis and Vettori are also viable match-ups for them, but I don't mind the Hermansson call either.
  • I don't really think Ihor is that good. He had a pretty dreadful run at 205 and at 185 his resume consists of beating one debuting Polish can-crusher (after missing weight) and then getting steamrolled by Pereira. I think he needs a massive step down in competition to assess his ceiling. Abu in a "loser goes home" match sounds about right to me, but you could just easily throw Alhassan, Bruno Silva, Dumas, or Tiuliulin in this spot.
  • Love Ige as a prospective opponent for Joanderson Brito. Normally I'd say Dan shouldn't be forced to play gatekeeper twice in a row especially after starching Fili... but I think this is a very important fight to make. Brito should have been granted the opportunity to fight for a ranked spot ages ago given the momentum he has. Furthermore, I think Dan -- who is seemingly impossible to finish -- is the ideal opponent to test Brito's 15-minute pacekeeping abilities.
  • I'd like to see Jack Shore fight Jose Mariscal. I think he needs a bigger step down than Yusuff presents. Even if Sodiq slips out of the rankings, he'd still be a de facto #16ish guy while he seemed largely lost in there against Brito who was in that same spot. Shore's only win at 145 is Amirkhani who had one foot out the door. I think there's a lot of middle ground between those two ends of the spectrum. Jose has momentum right now and presents someone who isn't a bottom-feeder at Featherweight, but also a winnable fight for Shore. More importantly, he presents the kind of aggression, physicality, and power-wrestling which seems to have given Shore fits in his fights against both Simon & Brito. Jack needs to prove he can overcome that sort of opponent sooner or later. Honestly, though... there are so many guys you could slot in here if you're so inclined: Damon Jackson, Alexander Hernandez, Charles Jourdain, Jonathan Pearce, Bill Algeo, Billy Q, Hakeem Dawodu, Pat Sabatini... all solid picks IMO and none are booked at the moment.

I think the rest of your suggestions sound great!

I would be very surprised if Caio took a short notice fight with Dolidze. He's the type of fighter who likes to study tape, analyze his opponents, and prepare properly. It just doesn't seem like he's that kind of guy but it would be a good opportunity for him.

Back