Fights That Surprisingly Never Happened?

dsdoubled

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Whether it be 2 fighters that were under the same promotional banner for years, fighters that were out there bouncing between promotions for years, or even fights that are such a compelling match up its surprising nobody took advantage of it, what are some of your favorite fights that never happened? Some of these fights may have even been booked at one time but never materialized. Btw, I was inspired to do this thread by eworden78 and a thread he just opened.

-Rich Franklin vs Nate Marquardt: Two guys from the same era that were at or near the top of the MW division for quite a while, mostly at the same time, its surprising this fight never happened. Also a pretty compelling match up along with making sense rankings wise.

-Babalu vs Randy Couture: Both guys had been mainstays in the top 10 forever and both guys fought at both 205 and Heavyweight. Also from the same era.

-Robbie Lawler vs Phil Baroni: These 2 guys were cut from the same cloth in the early to mid 2000s version of the UFC. Both aggressive, hard hitting, inconsistent (to different degrees), 170-185ers that where not only in the UFC at the same time but were bouncing around other promotions when they exited the UFC at the same time. I cannot believe this fight never happened in Cage Rage, ICON, EliteXC, Rumble on the Rock, or some other promotion, it was a no-brainer.

-Karo Parisyan vs Sean Sherk 3: Most people know that Sherk beat up a teenage Karo twice outside the UFC way back in the day. This, and the fact that they were 2 UFC WW mainstays at about the same time, makes it a surprise they never booked the 3rd fight in the Octagon.

-Rumble vs Thiago Alves at 170: Pretty simple concept, 2 HUGE welterweights that miss weight all the time and KTFO people all the time.

-Shinya Aoki vs Takanori Gomi in PRIDE, Sengoku, or Shooto: Probably the 2 best JMMA 160ish pound fighters with different but equally exciting styles that were kicking around for much of the same time.

Frank Shamrock vs Kazushi Sakuraba: Both MMA pioneers who were all time greats from the same lineage and fought in Japan a whole lot and comparable in size, this fight would've been so awesome.

There are many more. What are some of your favorites?

Apart from the obvious ones

Shogun/Tito
Shogun/Vitor
Gonzaga/Mir
Mazzagatti/Dana

Fedor vs Barnett

Fedor vs Couture

Shogun vs Wanderlei

Lidell vs Hendo

Hughes vs Sakuraba

Last edited:
Lawler vs. Diaz 2
Alves vs. Daley
Reem vs. Wand or Page back in Pride

Top of my head for now

Fedor/Barnett
Igor/Wand
Fedor/Igor
Mirko/Arlovski
Hendo/Saku

arona vs ufc roster.

i was really hoping that arona would end up in the ufc and square off against the chucks and the titos.

similarly, i wanted fedor in ufc to square off against the elite hws of the time. randy, prime tim, prime AA.

Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs Nick "El Diablo" Diaz

I don't know about surprisingly as much as the stars just never aligned, but the fight that I really wanted to see that's probably never going to happen now is Jones vs. Rumble.

Last edited:
Conor vs a title challenger
2ur9l5v.gif

Sakara vs Rivera
Shogun vs Evans
RDA Vs Conor
Condit vs Brown
Pettis vs Aldo

At the time Rampage vs Thiago Silva

Battle of the mean mugs

Cain vs Reem
Cain vs Mir