Fighters who beat opponents in other sports?

rokguksu

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Having trouble finding results for this in the forum search and other places online. But I'm wondering if anyone could give me some examples of MMA fighters who have beaten their opponents in other sports like wrestling, grappling, BJJ, boxing or kick boxing. With all the Izzy/Alex talk, I was curious if there were similar but lesser known rivalries from somewhere like ADCC or an NCAA tournament - something like that. Thanks for any info!

Saw an interview the other day where Chael Sonnen said he beat Tito Ortiz in the NCAA.

I reckon many wrestlers from the same countries/regions faced each other.

Lawal and Cormier wrestled each other many times but I don't think they fought in MMA despite being similar weight.

Travis Fulton beat Rory Prazak eight times in MMA and three times in boxing, all stoppages.

Having trouble finding results for this in the forum search and other places online. But I'm wondering if anyone could give me some examples of MMA fighters who have beaten their opponents in other sports like wrestling, grappling, BJJ, boxing or kick boxing. With all the Izzy/Alex talk, I was curious if there were similar but lesser known rivalries from somewhere like ADCC or an NCAA tournament - something like that. Thanks for any info!
Bob Sapp beat Ubereem

In arm wrestling

Sapp also beat Saku

In tug of war

Bob Sapp is the greatest combat sports athlete competing in non combat sports

Ryan Bader and Phil Davis
Jacare and Belfort just this week-end
Michael Aljarouj and Zoubeir Bouarsa

You might already know about this one but Israel Adesanya lost to Alex Pereira in kickboxing, twice.

Ricco Rodriguez beat Big Nog in ADCC and then got robbed when they fought in Pride.

Trite answer, but in the old TUF there was a featured non-MMA sports competition every season.

Clay Collard took out a pretty hyped prospect from Israel in boxing. He's got some nice wins under his belt there.

In Sambo there's a lot of course.

Ali Bagov sonned and submitted Islam Makhachev

Ikram Aliskerov beat Yaroslav Amosov

Eduard Vartanyan beat Ali Bagov

Blagoi Ivanov beat Fedor

In Sambo there's a lot of course.

Ali Bagov sonned and submitted Islam Makhachev

Ikram Aliskerov beat Yaroslav Amosov

Blagoi Ivanov beat Fedor
They didn't fight in MMA.

He's looking for opponents who've fought in MMA and in other combat sports.

Mousasi beat Kyotaro in K1 back in 2010.

There are a fair number. A couple more are Arona-Kanehara (ADCC) and DC-Patrick Cummins.

Back