Fighters who are past their prime

GSP. Quiet remarkable he came back after years away, going up in weight to beat the MW champion.

Aldo isn't old and isn't exactly losing to guys he should beat....it's not like he was destroyed by Mendes and Edgar....

I know it's hard for fanboys to accept....he lost against two fighters that were better than him.

Rashad Evans for instance is clearly past his prime as he is losing to guys far below the level he used to be at...even Hendricks is losing to solid guys that are bigger than him......

then you have the USADA factor and that some of these guys had "fake" primes where they were good because of steroids, who knows when their prime would have been or what it would have looked like otherwise.

Aldo isn't old but he has a lot of mileage. and that's what makes the biggest difference i find.

Diego
Jim Miller
Joe Lauzon
Lil Nog
Shogun
Arlovksi
Barnett
Okami
Anderson Silva
Belfort
Marquardt
Hendricks
Rashad
Machida
Jacare
Maia
Thiago Alves
Pearson

Not really. Stephen Thompson, Woodley, and Stipe were among the most tested in 2016 by USADA

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/ufc/gallery/here-are-the-ufc-fighters-usada-tested-the-most-in-2016-022317?amp=true

A lot of already known users or very suspect ones were tested a lot too (especially in 2017) but that's to be expected. #1 most tested fighter in 2017 was Tecia Torres lol

I suppose one of the explanations is that those who are still in their early 30's can still make natural Testosterone to recover from their cycle better than the older fighters, so their performance didn't suffer as much after USADA :).

GSP hasn’t been in his prime since 2011.

But he’s kinda the GOAT.

Am I really the first person to say Fedor?

Actually everyone in the Bellator tourney except Bader.

Rothwell
Boetch
Leites
Herman
Jacare
Alves
Burkman

I have to disagree about Boestch and especially Rothwell. Both of them are better now then they ever were. Tim has always been a mid card guy and is 3-1 over solid comp and Bens four fight run before JDS is the best of his career by far.

Aldo isn't old but he has a lot of mileage. and that's what makes the biggest difference i find.

Agreed, There's definately something to it, and I've seen some analysis that shows most fighters decline after a 8-9+ year career.

It's hard to know though really as Aldo can still beat the fighters he built his reputation on, and the guys who beat him are legit top P4P fighters who have either cleared most of the division as well, or would likely beat those same fighters Aldo beat...

Remember Conor is two weight champ, Max is on a 11 fight win streak. Aldo was good at beating Mendes and Edgar......and still is, so how has any decline been noted? unless we are taking credit away from conor and Max, which I see little basis for

Any fighter whose last fight was a loss.

The obvious ones are Penn, Gomi, Anderson and Rashad. All old and/or shot.

But you can't be in your physical prime at age 40. Evening it out with technique is tough at that age, while some like Werdum, Hunt (sort of) and Romero still look good, and Romero came to MMA late, but still the clock is ticking fast for them.

Lyoto lost his chin, but he moves like a younger man otherwise. Aldo, Edgar and Cruz are still moving well and the speed and not being gun-shy are still there, as well. Shogun hasn't lost his killer instinct, but the injuries took away his skillset. He just spams overhands against everyone now.

MEPhq1K.png

Overeem
Rampage
Probably Lawler
Bendo
I agree with "most of heavyweight"
Pettis (although I believe this may have a largely psychological component)

Obviously Diego
T. Alves

Its to the point where pretty much everyone other than himself wishes he could retire so he don't end up punch drunk or worse. Its not like hes providing exciting fights even.
Ya man if I was him I would push for a full time commentator gig with fox and like try to work something out so I can run a private mma related company I as well , if he wants to stay involved in the sport.

He may just still have the desire to compete but with how little he fights and his results it's just not worth the punishment of camps as fights.

unless we are taking credit away from conor and Max, which I see little basis for
People will AWAYS discredit conor. It's a shame, but it's true. There is the he doesn't defend narrative, when it comes to the FW title he had nothing else to prove IMO, he only needed to beat frankie to really solidify it. Whatever the case, I believe conor beats anyone aldo fought.

Back