Fighter with unexpected good grappling/bjj skills

Kazushi Sakuraba for being a former pro wrestler

CM Punk because he only tapped once LOL

Alan Belcher. I am not an expert by any means, but I think it's widely accepted that back then Palhares was a menace. People were scared of going to the ground with him, especially if he got a hold of your legs.

oh, and ...

391ad0_7e44d042e3eb48f7ac49e630f50dbb8d~mv2.gif

<goldie>

I'm still impressed that Yoel Romero was able to survive off his back in round 3 against a prime Jacare (even though I feel Yoel lost that fight).
Wasn't there a foul or something weird that happened in that fight that benefited Yoel. I seem to remember something weird happeneding that helped him in that fight.

Royce.

Jimmerson, Shamrock and Gordeau did not expect that at all

Don't confuse exhaustion with poor grappling. Conor is pretty decent. He actually defended well against Khabib. But Khabib is Khabib
what? he last an extra 30 seconds in the first round until Khabib got him on his back..?
WOW what a defence...
<YeahOKJen>

Ortega? Hasn't he always been known for having great BJJ?
Yeah, this. Pettis is like the one good pick in the OP.

I think Belcher too. I know he did have a good mixed background, including grappling, but his fights and results leaned heavily into his striking. The Palhares fight in particular was eye opening.

Kampmamn and Struve also were lanky strikers who I'd describe as pretty crafty and slick, respectively, when it came to their grappling.

If anything, it's surprising that his striking is pretty good.

Ironically he makes a lot of the competition style BJJ mistakes.
I think a big part of it is his power, which also shouldn't be surprising when you see his frame and remember that he blatantly admitted roiding

Anderson was amazing on the ground. He never seemed in danger or not in control even off his back

Jorge Gurgel

Jorge Gurgel and Andy Wang were mainly strikers, but supposedly they could also grapple.
LOL
Dude is a stud bjj player and was Rich Franklins grappling coach.
Dude just opted for the stand and bang, which cost him dearly.

People were always confused why he did not use it.

LOL
Dude is a stud bjj player and was Rich Franklins grappling coach.
Dude just opted for the stand and bang, which cost him dearly.

People were always confused why he did not use it.
Yeah I don't remember much from the TUF season, but I specifically remember Gurgel being known as a grappler

Back